Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2013, 03:58 AM   #1

Pentax K-5 IIs with long lens......

Does anybody know whether the on board "image stabilizer" on this camera will yield steady images when used with a heavyweight long lens like the excellent Sigma 500mm f4.5?

My gut feeling is that the heavier the lens the less effective the stabilization... but then Pentax bring out their 560/5.6 lens which makes me think otherwise.

Still not seen a used Pentax fit Sigma 500/4.5 for sale in the UK!!

Very rare beasts!

03-23-2013, 06:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I use it regularly with an FA*600, not handheld, though, the lens is too heavy. Also with a FA*400 I good results. I have seen some nice posts on this forum with shots made with the Sigma handheld, really sharp.
Cheers
03-23-2013, 07:01 AM   #3
Site Supporter

I think ffordes had the sigma used a few months ago - approx 2,500 GBP from memory.
03-23-2013, 08:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have been using long Sigmas (300/2,8 and 500/4,5) with various Pentax SR bodies over the last couple of years. SR works very well, and I have it on almost all the time. Most of my shooting is wildlife photography on the field. I am quite pleased with the way the stabilizer works with these lenses. I only switch it off when shooting from a tripod. Currently I have a K-5, but I donīt think the K-5 II is any different in this respect.
There are several shots with these lenses in my gallery on this forum.

03-23-2013, 10:17 AM   #5

Original Poster
Much obliged for the replies received so far.
If I find a decent used Sigma 500/4.5 I'll probably dive in!
It seems that this lens with a K-5 II is the cheapest way of getting a decent 500 prime focussed on a good sensor.
In the UK a used Canon 500/4 IS I - admittedly slightly faster - is significantly heavier and a lot more expensive.
The Pentax 560/5.6 is really to expensive and will be ruled out by most people unless the upcoming Pentaxforums review show it to be very sharp wide open.
03-23-2013, 11:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I can't see why weight has any connection to the SR. The SR is only the sensor moving and it isn't affected by the weight of the lens. Can you explain why it would? (I just can't seem to write question without sounding rude, but I only want to hear your thoughts)
03-24-2013, 01:34 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I can't see why weight has any connection to the SR. The SR is only the sensor moving and it isn't affected by the weight of the lens. Can you explain why it would? (I just can't seem to write question without sounding rude, but I only want to hear your thoughts)
As I don't know how SR functions on Pentax I can't comment - perhaps you can enlighten me.
With Canon/Nikon of course the IS is built in to the lens and fine tuned to that lens whereas with Pentax the SR unit has to work with all (Pentax) lenses. We shall see with the 560/5.6 review - coming up soon hopefully!
My main query was whether SR works effectively with the greater mass of a heavy lens which I think has been confirmed here.
03-24-2013, 02:50 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery
I have a 400mm f/4 and struggle to hand held that so rely in a monopod. Whilst pentax SR is good I think there comes a point where physical ability comes into play and this is the case with long heavy glass.

03-24-2013, 12:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by plainsman Quote
As I don't know how SR functions on Pentax I can't comment - perhaps you can enlighten me.
With Canon/Nikon of course the IS is built in to the lens and fine tuned to that lens whereas with Pentax the SR unit has to work with all (Pentax) lenses. We shall see with the 560/5.6 review - coming up soon hopefully!
My main query was whether SR works effectively with the greater mass of a heavy lens which I think has been confirmed here.
The SR in Pentax cameras works by moving around the sensor to follow the shifting image projected by the lens. The only thing it needs to adjust to for different lenses is the focal length. The gyro sensors in the camera detect the angular movement of the camera/lens, the camera then calculates how much the image will have shifted and will move the sensor accordingly the follow that movement. How much the sensor needs to be moved for a given angular movement depends solely on the focal length of the lens, irrespective of whether it weighs a gram or a ton.

The same applies also for in lens stabilisers, except that instead of moving the sensor the mechanism moves one of the smaller lenses inside the lens barrel.

The SR also works well when using a tripod to reduce the effect of vibration that may be induced in strong winds (or a light breeze and a jelly tripod)
03-24-2013, 01:35 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
The SR in Pentax cameras works by moving around the sensor to follow the shifting image projected by the lens. The only thing it needs to adjust to for different lenses is the focal length. The gyro sensors in the camera detect the angular movement of the camera/lens, the camera then calculates how much the image will have shifted and will move the sensor accordingly the follow that movement. How much the sensor needs to be moved for a given angular movement depends solely on the focal length of the lens, irrespective of whether it weighs a gram or a ton.

The same applies also for in lens stabilisers, except that instead of moving the sensor the mechanism moves one of the smaller lenses inside the lens barrel.

The SR also works well when using a tripod to reduce the effect of vibration that may be induced in strong winds (or a light breeze and a jelly tripod)
Much obliged!