Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2013, 03:51 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Body designed to compliment the DA ltds

Does anybody else feel that the DA Ltd's don't complement the look of the existing line of dslr's? The camera's don't scale well, I suspect its a combination of the grip and the flash overhang that does it, with the DA 40 in particular. Am I just being superficial?

Say what you will about the K-01, but its the only body that comes close to the right aesthetic for the Ltd's. I think a body that was designed to complement the appearance of the ltd lenses - something that compromises some functionality for a small, clean design with a Hugh quality build, kitted with the DA 40 ltd. I bet that could be an $1100 kit that would get a couple second looks.

03-26-2013, 03:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gareth.Ig Quote
Does anybody else feel that the DA Ltd's don't complement the look of the existing line of dslr's? The camera's don't scale well, I suspect its a combination of the grip and the flash overhang that does it, with the DA 40 in particular. Am I just being superficial?

Say what you will about the K-01, but its the only body that comes close to the right aesthetic for the Ltd's. I think a body that was designed to complement the appearance of the ltd lenses - something that compromises some functionality for a small, clean design with a Hugh quality build, kitted with the DA 40 ltd. I bet that could be an $1100 kit that would get a couple second looks.
I disagree. I thought the DA40 and the DA70 looked great on my K-5. They look great on the K-01s too though.
03-26-2013, 04:00 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
I disagree. I thought the DA40 and the DA70 looked great on my K-5. They look great on the K-01s too though.
To each his own, particularly in matters of taste, but with the 40, it looks like its had its nose cut off IMHO. I would agree, the 70 doesn't look bad.
03-26-2013, 04:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-01 is definitely the preferred home of the DA21, 40 and 70 limiteds.
Mine get home sick anywhere else, although they do seem to enjoy a short holiday on the Q.

03-26-2013, 04:42 PM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

My cameras are just tools, sounds terrible I know, but as long as they do they job intended, looks really don't count too much with me.
03-26-2013, 04:52 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
My cameras are just tools, sounds terrible I know, but as long as they do they job intended, looks really don't count too much with me.
Blasphemy!
Persecute, kill the heretic!!
03-26-2013, 04:58 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I can understand this sentiment, but I must admit that I do enjoy using things that look good.
03-26-2013, 05:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gareth.Ig Quote
I can understand this sentiment, but I must admit that I do enjoy using things that look good.
All men do.

03-26-2013, 05:09 PM   #9
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Blasphemy!
Persecute, kill the heretic!!

Please understand photography is how try I pay my bills, so they really are tools to me.

Never seen a plumber getting too excited about the looks of his pipe wrench.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 03-26-2013 at 05:17 PM.
03-26-2013, 05:17 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster

Please understand photography is how I pay my bills.

Well that explains it for me. Photography is the source of my bills.
03-26-2013, 05:59 PM   #11
Pentaxian

The K-7 was designed to compliment the Limiteds:
http://www.camera-pentax.jp/k-7/appearance/ (translated)
03-26-2013, 06:07 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-01 in Black is especially suited to the limited pancakes.

There are some unexpected pleasing combinations such as the FA35/2 with the petal hood on, or the F35~70 and F50/.7 that are just sublime.

And there is any number of wide and normal K and M lenses that seem made for the camera.
03-26-2013, 06:34 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I can see what you mean, even though I don't think they look bad on the K-5. What is they released an more sharp/hard edged black metallic camera? Like a retro one but with the modern look of the limited lenses. Hard edges, distinct straight lines, smooth black finish and some of that texture from the focus rings could look awesome!
03-26-2013, 08:09 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I can see what you mean, even though I don't think they look bad on the K-5. What is they released an more sharp/hard edged black metallic camera? Like a retro one but with the modern look of the limited lenses. Hard edges, distinct straight lines, smooth black finish and some of that texture from the focus rings could look awesome!
Sounds like it could look really cool and kinda futuristic...
03-26-2013, 08:19 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpartanD63 Quote
Sounds like it could look really cool and kinda futuristic...
Yeah, the limiteds actually look very futuristic, like they come from some sci-fi movie. I wonder why Pentax never used that design style also on their cameras? I haven't worked in 3D for a long time, but it would be fun to sketch on it.