Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2008, 10:10 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Which one K10 or K200?

I am considering upgrading my K100. With the release of the new models it seems that prices of the K10 will be coming down a bit before it is completely discontinued and that puts the K10 in my budget range finally. Both seem to be very close on specs. If I'm reading correctly it seems as though both use the same sensor. So why would I want to go with one over the other? Of course I'd like the K20, but there is not a realistic chance my budget allowing for that.

03-04-2008, 02:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Any suggestions?
03-04-2008, 02:20 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you want to stick to the same simple interface that the K100D has, I'd go with the K200 if I were you. Unlike the K200, the K10 has a significantly higher number of buttons on the outside, and it also doesn't have any preset scene modes- only Av, Tv, TAv, Sv, M, and P. While the K200 has a few upgraded elements compared to the K10, like the screen, the K10 is still designed for the more advanced user. You should make your choice based on the type of photographer you are, whether it be a casual or a more serious type.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-04-2008, 02:21 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I would keep the K100 and invest in better quality glass.

03-04-2008, 02:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

the major difference between the two is the body: the k10 is... uhm.. the k10, which is arguably the ergonomic breakthrough of the century, in photography (ha! i said it), the k200 is *almost* the k100 (which might appeal to you more), which has the advantages of size weight, and, now, complete with weather sealing. i for one upgraded to the k10d, and am glad i did (i really love it). however, you must ask yourself if you really need a new body, i guess (maybe some more glass would be in order, or some photographic trip? ). i am not saying i needed the upgrade myself, i am just saying that's the wise thing to do before spending your cash

also keep in mind the k200d seems to have a couple of tricks up it's sleve, some improved image processing, some firmware tweaks over the k100d and, allegedly, even over the k10d. however, it is still in a completely different league compared to the k10, no matter what sensor or software you put in there, imho. we, however, have no idea yeat what the pictures coming out of the k200d are really like (we have a much better idea about the k20d already, mainly because of the hype , allthough still not absolutely sure)

good luck, and choose wisely (don't forget: out of two options, sometimes the third might be the wisest one )
03-04-2008, 02:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice. I am more of a casual photographer, but find myself getting more serious. Being casual is one fo the reasons, along with budget limitaions, that I've not invested in more expensive glass.
03-04-2008, 02:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

why do you want to upgrade? What isn't your K100 doing for you?

03-04-2008, 02:34 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dws1117 Quote
Thanks for the advice. I am more of a casual photographer, but find myself getting more serious. Being casual is one fo the reasons, along with budget limitaions, that I've not invested in more expensive glass.
Well, if you use mostly scene modes now on the k100, the k200 might be the upgrade for you. The k10d is a great camera, but its not really a 'casual' camera. If you're not into learning the basics of photography it can be daunting.

I suppose we should ask what you're really hoping to get out of an upgrade?
03-04-2008, 02:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Geekybiker Quote
Well, if you use mostly scene modes now on the k100, the k200 might be the upgrade for you. The k10d is a great camera, but its not really a 'casual' camera. If you're not into learning the basics of photography it can be daunting.

I suppose we should ask what you're really hoping to get out of an upgrade?
I rarely use the scene modes. Mostly the camera is set on Av. As for as the basics of photography go I do want to learn more about the art of taking pictures otherwise I'd still be using P&S cameras.

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic:
What isn't your K100 doing for you?
It isn't what it's not doing for me. It is a great camera.
03-04-2008, 03:00 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dws1117 Quote
So why would I want to go with one over the other?
I don't know, what are you missing?

The K10D has a rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery instead of using off-the-shelf AAs.

The K10D has an ISO range of 100 to 1600 instead of 200 to 3200.

The K10D is slightly larger and weighs 130g more.

The K10D has 10.2 MP instead of 6.1 MP.

The K10D has 2 dial ergonomics instead of one.

The K10D has "selectable program line" which lets you optimise Program mode for faster shutter speeds, smaller apertures or the optimum lens performance.

The K10D has pentaprism viewfinder instead of penta-mirror type.

The K10D has an IR remote sensor behind the body as well as in front.

The K10D has TAv mode that lets you set aperture and shutter and have the camera adjust ISO.

The K10D has Sv mode (sensitivity priority) that gives quick dial access to changing ISO.

The K10D has hyperprogram mode with its Green button.

The K10D exposure compensation is +/- 1/3 instead of +/- 1/2.

The K10D has dust and weather seals.

The K10D has a dedicated RAW button.

The K10D displays separate RGB histograms.

The K10D has a larger buffer so it can shoot 10 RAW images at 3.1 fps, as opposed to 4 at 2.6 fps.

The K10D supports SDM lenses (as does the K100D Super).

The K10D has a dedicated button for auto-exposure bracketing.

The K10D has an optional battery grip.

The K10D can save to Adobe standard DNG format RAW files, as well as PEF.

The K10D has in-camera RAW development.

The K10D does not have picture and scene modes.

The K10D is operationally faster, about double the speed of the K100D.

I find the first three to be good reasons to stick with the K100D, but all the rest of the advantages are with the K10D.
03-04-2008, 03:18 PM   #11
Forum Member

Okay so maybe I might be making a jump from the ZX-M to a K10D... How will my existing lens fair with the digital camera? I've got a -M and -A lens, plus two Sigma manual focus lenses. Also, any opinions on the lens that usually comes standard with the body (18-55mm f/3.5-5.6)
03-04-2008, 03:27 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by APEHAUS Quote
Okay so maybe I might be making a jump from the ZX-M to a K10D... How will my existing lens fair with the digital camera? I've got a -M and -A lens, plus two Sigma manual focus lenses. Also, any opinions on the lens that usually comes standard with the body (18-55mm f/3.5-5.6)
All your k-mount lenses work, and they work with all the features they had before. Some might even gain features, which is a nice kind of magic. For example, the camera will give an in-focus indicator even for lenses that are not auto-focus.

I think the consensus on the kit lens is that it is the best kit out there, and very good for regular usage. If you already have something in that range then maybe you don't need it. If you have special needs then maybe you already know of something that fits you better. Otherwise, just get it, since it costs little more than the body alone.

I just bought the 16-45mm to replace the kit as a walk-around since the fixed f/4 is similar
enough in terms of light capture and 2mm on the wide end means more to me than 10mm on the tele. Also it has much better resolution out to the edges, which is important for some of the architecture shots I do.

If you were to count heads most people would replace the kit with something like an extended 18-200mm, just to have a one-lens solution. Others need speed at all costs and so would go for a f/2.8 zoom. And others shoot primes only. Which type of photographer are you?
03-04-2008, 03:34 PM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
snip

If you were to count heads most people would replace the kit with something like an extended 18-200mm, just to have a one-lens solution. Others need speed at all costs and so would go for a f/2.8 zoom. And others shoot primes only. Which type of photographer are you?
Thanks for the reply. Right now I'm sort of trying to find the subject matter I like 'best.' I've found that the majority of the time I'm using my 50mm SMC-M, and my 70-300mm Sigma lens, especially the Macro ability. I think at this point I just my go with what I have, plus keep the included lens to at least have one auto-focusing lens.
03-04-2008, 03:46 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by APEHAUS Quote
The pentax-M lenses are a bit tricky. You need to use them in M mode, and hit the preview button to get accurate metering. -A lenses work better.