Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2013, 01:39 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
keep k-x, or upgrade, k5/k30?

Should I keep using my K-x, or upgrade to either a K30 or a K5? I shoot mainly with half a dozen lenses, lots of people shots, with the DA21 and DA70. I also do a lot of bird/nature photography with the Sigma 150-500mm and/or the Pentax 55-300mm lens, as well as some with the Sigma 30mm and the DA15mm for city shots. I figure the K5/K30 would give me a little more low light capability and cropping capability for bird photos, plus the bigger lcd screen, plus more dynamic range for raw. I've heard the K5 is really quiet, in terms of shutter noise. Autofocus is supposedly improved over the k-x. Suggestions?
- Sheldon

03-28-2013, 02:32 PM   #2
Emperor and Senpai

I went from a Kx to a K5 and have not regretted it at all. You can get the K5 pretty cheap now too.
03-28-2013, 02:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Low light image quality is very good on the K-x, but all your other points are valid.
Doesn't sound like WR is a need since your lenses aren't WR.
Going to the K-5 from k-x I noticed the quiet shutter, more consistent AF, usability from the extra body controls vs menus, and overall snappier performance.
It is a bit heftier but not much.
03-28-2013, 04:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I shot with the K-x for about a year and am very impressed, I then went to a K-5 and barely even looked back, however I still have the K-x and will most likely never get rid of it, besides that my wife likes using it.
The K-5 feels more solid in my hands and feels like a lot better build quality. The K-30 I have never even touched, mainly because the body/frame is not magnesium and for the fact that I cannot put a grip on it and I really like having the top LCD screen. The option of having the battery grip was a deal maker for me, I use it 95% of the time, that is one of the biggest drawbacks for me when I was shooting the K-x.
You will not regret the K-5, in fact lately I have seen many folks in here unloading a lot of them in the market place and you should land a god deal on one in there, I wish I waited to get mine but am happy with what I have and what I paid for it.

03-28-2013, 04:50 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have had the K-5 for about a year now and have never looked back. I still have the K-x but I rarely use it. The last I used it was in October to shoot video at a wedding...
03-28-2013, 04:50 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by sheld Quote
Should I keep using my K-x, or upgrade to either a K30 or a K5? I shoot mainly with half a dozen lenses, lots of people shots, with the DA21 and DA70. I also do a lot of bird/nature photography with the Sigma 150-500mm and/or the Pentax 55-300mm lens, as well as some with the Sigma 30mm and the DA15mm for city shots. I figure the K5/K30 would give me a little more low light capability and cropping capability for bird photos, plus the bigger lcd screen, plus more dynamic range for raw. I've heard the K5 is really quiet, in terms of shutter noise. Autofocus is supposedly improved over the k-x. Suggestions?
- Sheldon
I have a K-x, and had a K-5, which have a few good points over the K-x, not least quieter operation, but the K-30 is really a K-x on steroids! The AF is far better than that my K-5 had, and it costs very little as well (compared to the K-5, or the K-5 II). In short you'll feel very at home, coming from a K-x, if you buy a K-30 (my wife just did, after having sold her K-5 a while back).

The sensor and processor is the same as in the K-01's, while the K-5 and K-5 Ii shares an older processor design. Why I have no idea, as more processing power is always nice to have.

Last edited by Tord; 03-28-2013 at 04:51 PM. Reason: repeated conclusion!
03-28-2013, 06:17 PM   #7
Site Supporter

I don't think you would be disappointed by the K-30 or K-5.
I have a K-x but 9 months ago got a K-5 (6 months old and for a good price). The K-5 is a significant step up from the K-x. Key differences for me include:
* Brighter viewfinder - makes for easier focussing of manual lenses I have found
* More consistent metering - I now find that multi-segment metering is quite good and don't use spot much any more.
* Better auto focus for sure (also quicker to confirm with manual focus) - although I hear the K-30 is better again
* Much better battery life - I have two batteries but have yet needed to swap on even extended outings
* Better controls - particularly like using it in "P" mode where turning front wheel it goes into Tv and back wheel into Av modes.
* Better video (although the K-30 is better I understand).
* Per lens autofocus adjustment (have a couple lenses that could be problematic on the K-x)
* Quiet shutter - much better than K-x

Only negatives for me:
* I'm left eyed so don't like K-5 position of green button (hard to operate while looking through the viewfinder)
* Its a little bigger (although still a good size). I have kept the K-x and when on business I can squeeze in the K-x with a A50f1.7

There are a lot of threads on PF comparing K-30 with K-5 that are worth a read. Certainly in a number of ways K-30 is a better camera than the K-5 (bit faster autofocus and better LiveView / movie being the main ones) but don't write off the K-5 (K-5II either) there are also advantages with the K-5 too. For example:
* Better build
* Can use a grip (and can be tethered)
* Has a microphone socket
* 14 bit raw (which provides slightly better DR I understand)
* Somewhat faster shutter speed 1/8000 (useful for shallow depth of field in bright light)
* Faster continuous shooting
* Slightly more powerful flash
* More user modes (5 versus 3 I think)
* HDMI output (great for showing friends photos on their HD TVs when out and about)
* Quieter shutter than K-30

It depends on what is important to you really. I was weighing up the K-5 versus K-30 and read every review I could find. Discussion on these forums are useful too.

Either way I think it would be a great step up from the K-x (a nice little camera itself).
11-07-2013, 07:07 AM - 1 Like   #8

Original Poster
Better late than never; I'm buying a K30 which should arrive today or tomorrow..... I would like to trade in my DA-L 55-300mm lens to a weather sealed version; the DA 55-300mm WR.

11-07-2013, 07:55 PM   #9
Site Supporter

I'd keep the Kx regardless of what you get. I enjoy having a good, small body about that does not need proprietary batteries. I'll throw the Kx into my ultra-compact kit, because I know I can leave the charger, cord and extra Li90 at home.
11-07-2013, 08:43 PM   #10

Original Poster
I bought the AA battery adapter for the K30, cause I do like traveling with AA batteries. Though its probably a lot heavier with the AA rechargeable batteries than with the LiOn battery. I do like the K-x size. UPS tried to ship it today, but I wasn't home to sign for the K30