Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2008, 12:23 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
K100D to K10D upgrade question

Hi Everyone,

I've recently discovered this forum, and I'd just like to say that you have a very nice community here. I'm very happy to have found it. How did we ever get along without the Internet? I'd like to ask a question of the K10D users here who upgraded from the K100D. I have the K100D myself, and I've been quite pleased with it. But with the debut of the K20D, now the K10D can be had relatively cheaply, and I'm considering upgrading. (The K20D looks wonderful, but it's just not in the budget). Comparing the K100D and the K10D on paper, the differences are clear enough, but I was hoping to hear about experiences of anyone who actually upgraded from one to the other. What sorts of differences did you notice, if any? In what ways did you find the K10D superior? Was it more in the quality of your photographs, or the ease of use of the camera? Did things like metering or auto-focus behave differently than what you were accustomed to? Would you do it again, or do you wish that maybe you had waited, and upgraded to the K20D instead, or spent the price differences on lenses or something? Reading reviews and looking at samples is informative to a point, but I think it would be more helpful to hear from actual people who have traveled this same road already. I would appreciate any feedback you can take the time to provide. Thanks!

03-03-2008, 12:32 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DaddyO Quote
Hi Everyone,

I've recently discovered this forum, and I'd just like to say that you have a very nice community here. I'm very happy to have found it. How did we ever get along without the Internet? I'd like to ask a question of the K10D users here who upgraded from the K100D. I have the K100D myself, and I've been quite pleased with it. But with the debut of the K20D, now the K10D can be had relatively cheaply, and I'm considering upgrading. (The K20D looks wonderful, but it's just not in the budget). Comparing the K100D and the K10D on paper, the differences are clear enough, but I was hoping to hear about experiences of anyone who actually upgraded from one to the other. What sorts of differences did you notice, if any? In what ways did you find the K10D superior? Was it more in the quality of your photographs, or the ease of use of the camera? Did things like metering or auto-focus behave differently than what you were accustomed to? Would you do it again, or do you wish that maybe you had waited, and upgraded to the K20D instead, or spent the price differences on lenses or something? Reading reviews and looking at samples is informative to a point, but I think it would be more helpful to hear from actual people who have traveled this same road already. I would appreciate any feedback you can take the time to provide. Thanks!

I upgraded from *istD to K10D. Fundamentally, I went for shake reduction better mechanicl package and higher resolution. I gave up 3200ISO and TTL flash. Both of these reasons is what made me keep the *istD as a second body.

For you, from a purely technical point of view, you give up some P&S style user modes, for an overall much better mechanical package, better performing shake reduction and higher resolution, all you give up is 3200 ISO.

The K10D is a fine camera, and how much you will miss the user modes and 3200ISO is a function of what you do with the camera.

For me, I either shoot in shutter priority, or manual, and use a lot of manual lenses. As a result, I don't need all the user modes.

BTW one other thing you will like on the K10D is the WB setting. when you take a shot, press the Fn button and select WB. from there, as you make changes you see them interactively on the image youo just took, since it is still in the buffer. you can't go wrong with it.

As far as AF speed, I have noticed no difference between the K10D and *istD. They both are acceptable to me, hence you probably won't notice anything either, coming from the K100.

You will notice the K10D is bigger, some complained, but I like it.
03-03-2008, 12:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Everyone,

Hi DaddyO

Without looking at the datasheets. The K10D has:

- More resolution (6 -> 10M pixels)
- Weather & dust seals (one of my favorites)
- TAv, Sv and Hyper Program modes (gives you much more flexibility, I use Sv often)
- Front and Back dials, assignments can be changed.
- No Scene modes
- More custom white balance settings (plus WB preview)
- DA* lenses can be used (K100 Super as well)
- Shake reduction (K100 Super as well)
- Extensive in camera editing features
- Its heavier
- You move 1 stop back in sensitivity (100-1600)

- Bert
03-03-2008, 01:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I was shooting with a Ds and ordered a K10D the day they were announced. While waiting for delivery, which was several months as we all remember, I got antsy and purchased a K100D. It is a good little camera that I enjoyed using.

Only thing I didn't like about the K100D is the shape of the front right-hand built-in grip. At the front, it is a little sharp and pointy. Not a big issue, but enough that it bugged me (coming from the smooth grip of the Ds).

Then, when the K10D hit the stores, I was first in line and have been happily using it since. In fact, since I got the K10D, the only time I've used the K100D is for some infrared photography. IR is "better" with the 6mp sensor than the 10mp sensor.

The loss of scene modes going from the K100D to the K10D is not a consideration for me, as I never use them. The K10D is a much more capable and versatile camera than the K100D. Or, in simpler terms, you will outgrow the K100D much more sooner than you will outgrow the K10D. If you don't need the high ISO capability of the K100D, the K10D is a better camera, all around.

03-03-2008, 06:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I just reciently went from a K100D to the K10D.

I'm glad I did. The control of the camera is a great improvment. Almost all controls can be found on the camera body. No more digging into the menu to change metering modes. The front/back wheel combo is fantastic. Hyper-program mode, and the ability to "program shift", TAV mode, and SV mode really add to the control. ISO can be as easily changed as f-stop or shuuter speed. The view finder is brighter. The light meter is a linear gauge, and not just a number. The Top LED screen is backlit. The camera is larger, and easier to hold. Better bracketing control.

Did I mention the "green button"? small quiet and powerfull. Kind of like a Zen Master. Kind of like Yoda. Kind of like a universal reset.

The K10D uses a rechargable lithium battery.

What the K100D has that the K10D dosen't (some is my opinion):

Better metering for older SMC-M lenses, Higher ISO, uses AA batteries, smaller lighter, reportedly better IR photography (still untried by myself), smaller file size.

I'm keeping my K100D. And this summer, when I see the sun again, I'm going to try some IR photography.

Eric.
03-03-2008, 06:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I've recently discovered this forum, and I'd just like to say that you have a very nice community here. I'm very happy to have found it. How did we ever get along without the Internet?
I'm old enough to know the answer to that one. We had to deal with other human beings face to face. It was awful.

QuoteQuote:
I'd like to ask a question of the K10D users here who upgraded from the K100D. I have the K100D myself, and I've been quite pleased with it. But with the debut of the K20D, now the K10D can be had relatively cheaply, and I'm considering upgrading. ...
Others have already given you the specs. I bought a K100D first, didn't feel it was everything I wanted, bought the K10D and used 'em both for a short while. Sold the K100D. Advantages of the K10D that struck me:
  1. Ergonomics. It's just a MUCH nicer camera to take photos with. Note: the word "ergonomics" covers a lot of the differences. Ultimately, the K10D is just a camera like the K100D, both take photos, etc.
  2. I definitely wanted the grip.
  3. I much prefer the K10D's mode options. P mode is brilliant, and TAv mode is super-brilliant.
  4. Results. Not sure what's up here. I just liked the results from the K10D better. Not a LOT better, but it was noticeable. Perhaps it's the processor, perhaps it's the higher res, perhaps it's imaginary (although I don't think so).
So stop considering and do it. :-)

Will
03-04-2008, 05:59 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the responses, everyone. This has been very helpful. It looks like it would be hard to go wrong upgrading to the K10D, especially for the price. ISO 100, in particular, would be nice to have. I've never used the ISO 3200 on the K100D, so I wouldn't miss it. Likewise the scene modes, since I tend to live in aperture priority mode most of the time. I appreciate all the good feedback.