Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2013, 06:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

k-30 vs k-5 low light street/city, landscapes and astro

Really tempted by a 2nd hand body upgrade. My K-7 is great when the light is good. But for night street and astro it does seem more challenging - especially as my only vaguely fast lens is the FA 35mm f2.

Just trying to figure out if the K-5 is going to have a significant advantage for Astro and low light city shots.

Astro a lot of the image will be very dark, so perhaps the 12 bit vs 14 bit here wont matter much, no shadows to be thinking about.

Night city from a distance again shadows might not matter much.

Night city close to the action, shadows probably will matter.

I don't do much pp, partly because of time, I also use Linux 95% of the time (but can boot into windows on same machine) and don't own Photoshop/Lightroom etc and software like that. However as I get better the pp side might come into play a bit more. Then if I'm looking back at a load of 12 bit images I wonder if it'll bother me. But then if its exposed properly it won't even be an issue perhaps.

The thing is the pictures from the k-30 seem very good. Otherwise this would be a non-debate. I'd miss the K-7 top lcd, but perhaps I'd learn to live without. The AA battery ability might be handy as well as saving 200g or whatever. Although I do like the reassuring metal construction and weight to hold of the K-7.

White k-30 body though, in the dark in a field (for astro) might slightly easier to spot that a black K-7,K-5

03-29-2013, 07:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Conqueror Quote
Astro a lot of the image will be very dark, so perhaps the 12 bit vs 14 bit here wont matter much, no shadows to be thinking about.
That's actually the part where you could see a visible difference
03-29-2013, 08:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Yes thinking about it, a lot of the image might have darker areas - but these are areas which aren't completely dark.
03-29-2013, 08:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
I can't see one iota of K-30/K-5 difference in the -5EV underexposed recovered RAW images in the K-30 review Pentax K-30 Camera Review - Image Quality - PentaxForums.com

03-29-2013, 12:09 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I bet they are about the same, with slight pros and cons for each camera.
03-29-2013, 12:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Yes thinking about it, a lot of the image might have darker areas - but these are areas which aren't completely dark.
your indeed correct.

@Steve,
sensor is linear device, in the highlight it capture more type of shades then in the shadows. having more bits mean the accuracy increase. in the highlight that is already pretty good but in the shadows that precision might become visible. doesn't mean the dynamic range is increased but the accuracy could be.
03-29-2013, 01:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I might be nit picking here.

The 14 bit and silent shutter are the main thing in favour of the K-5. Yes the top LCD is good to have but I might learn to live without it.

Quite how much I will notice the lower bit depth is hard to say. As the k-30 looks very close indeed in many situations.

Just found an interesting doc on this bit depth for astro...

http://www.stark-labs.com/craig/resources/Articles-&-Reviews/BitDepthStacking.pdf
03-30-2013, 12:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I might be nit picking here.

The 14 bit and silent shutter are the main thing in favour of the K-5. Yes the top LCD is good to have but I might learn to live without it.

Quite how much I will notice the lower bit depth is hard to say. As the k-30 looks very close indeed in many situations.

Just found an interesting doc on this bit depth for astro...

http://www.stark-labs.com/craig/resources/Articles-&-Reviews/BitDepthStacking.pdf
It looks like the K-30's end result from 12 bits is much the same as the K-5's 14 bits because of noise randomisation.

03-30-2013, 02:19 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This decision may be on hold for some time. Went for a DA 15mm (as I thought build the glass up first - I have no wide).