Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2013, 05:54 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Louicio Quote
K-01. It's a manual lens dream.
I like my K-01 but it has its limitations. There's nothing in still photography that a K-01 does that a K-30 doesn't. They use the same sensor, contrast detect system and focus peaking. The K-30 adds dual control wheels, weather-resistance,100% coverage pentaprism OVF, phase detect and faster raw shooting.

Last edited by audiobomber; 03-31-2013 at 06:11 AM.
03-31-2013, 06:05 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I like my K-01 but it has its limitations. There's nothing in still photography that a K-01 does that a K-30 doesn't. They use the same sensor, contrast detect system and focus peaking. The K-30 adds dual control wheels, weather-resistance, a 100% coverage pentaprism OVF, phase detect and faster raw handling.
Duly noted. I hadn't considered raw handling but if not needed the K-01 is much cheaper.

I really like the K-01 has all the right equipment to make using manual lenses much easier and user friendly. The K-30 also would have the same equip so I see your point.
03-31-2013, 01:05 PM   #33

Original Poster
Thanks for continued discussion... its providing some great insight.

Much to think about. I am leaning towards the K30 still... but with the K-01 in the back of my mind. Since the K30 is a current model camera, I'll probably just keep an eye out until a good low priced used one hits ebay.

BTW... I have an LX in great condition. Yes... I agree... probably one of the all time best SLRs ever made.
03-31-2013, 07:07 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Something you might want to consider is just leaving the M42, K and M lenses in the film corral and using only A lenses on the DSLR's.

Being able to just roll the front and rear dials in M mode to set aperture and shutter speed with normal constant wide open metering is a crap ton easier and faster and would eliminate half the debate.

If you learned to properly operate a film camera the original K5 used is best for you as most of the stuff improved after that would be a useless feature but its low light performance is super handy. K5's are dipping down into the sub $600 range now used.

I am using a K20D with a katzeye screen for manual focusing until the replacement for the K5II comes out and then I will buy an original K5 as the price should have been shoved down to at least $500 if not less.

04-01-2013, 08:19 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
Something you might want to consider is just leaving the M42, K and M lenses in the film corral and using only A lenses on the DSLR's.

Being able to just roll the front and rear dials in M mode to set aperture and shutter speed with normal constant wide open metering is a crap ton easier and faster and would eliminate half the debate.
Thats why the K-01 (or the K-30 in live view) is a manual dream. With a manual lens, stop down metering will work Av for instance because the sensor is used to determine the amount of light.
04-01-2013, 10:14 PM   #36
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Since you have M42 lenses, look into a old Canon 5D or 5DII with the focusing screen changed out for a EE-G/EE-S focusing screen which is optimized for f2.8 and faster lenses.
It meters the lenses in Av mode.
Clunky interface but may actually be a nice thing being almost all manual in operation.
But clearly a very old sensor that has poor DR imo compared to almost anything circa 2011.
Can't work with K-mounts unless you butcher the aperture lever, so I won't even want to talk more about it.

Otherwise, the options are K30 or K01.

K30 - better handling and overall performance over K01. DSLR interface + OVF; Comes with focus peaking too for ease of MF, but there is a lag between shutter press and actual shutter release due to the mirror mechanism, so suitability depends on your use and subject.

K01 - cheap and faster shutter reaction in LiveView due to it not having a mirror mechanism.