Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2013, 03:41 PM   #1

Suggestions for a body just for manual lenses

I am a Pentax/Asahi collector and I have an sizable collection of K-mount (K, M, A) lenses (and M42). For a while, I was shooting them on a Samsung GX-1L (*ist copy) which allowed for stop down metering via a single button (Av and M). It worked fine until it was dropped a few years ago. I then proceeded to a used K10D which I thought was a good upgrade given the brighter prism viewfinder. To my surprise, I had metering issues with the Pentax K mount lenses.. very inconsistent which seemed to be a well known issue after searching around online. Its been a few years now and I'm looking for advice on a used pentax DSLR body that

* Allows for accurate stop down metering (as with the GX-1L)
* Would be nice to support metering wide open on KA lenses.
* Bright viewfinder (prism instead of penta-mirror?)
* On used market.

I've thought about finding another Gx-1L or *ist as they are probably available for very little given their age but I figure i could ask here first. I've been "out of the loop" when it comes to Pentax camera bodies released since the K10D so I'm unsure which of the later bodies have certain advantages when it comes to shooting with K-mount lenses.

Keep in mind, this is ~not~ my main camera system (Leica, Canon, Oympus) so I'm not looking for an investment on the latest and greatest. On the other hand, don't really have a budget either. I'm just looking for a body to enjoy my lenses.

btw...

How's focusing on the mirrorless Kmount cameras?

03-29-2013, 03:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-01 has a very good setup and excellent sensor performance. The one restriction is that AF on it is a single flavor vs. the dSLRs with two types of AF. If it's not your main system and you want to use your old lenses its a real steal these days as its been discontinued (the styling was not well received and if you don't own K mount lenses there really is very little reason to buy one).
03-29-2013, 04:03 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
For the M42 lenses you can buy an adapter with a focus confirmation chip and use them on your Canon body. I still have a 10D that I use for this. I've tried a K mount adapter but with the aperture linkage sticking out of the back of the lens just looks too scary. It looks like it might hit the mirror. I had a full frame Canon body that I had to pay $350 to get fixed because a wide angle M42 hit the mirror. With APS-C you don't have to worry about this.

As for focusing a K-01, it's not bad with focus peaking, but it takes some getting used to. The K-01 does show the flaws in older lenses more than older bodies because of the high resolution of the sensor. That's why I've been using the 10D. 6 MP doesn't show the flaws . If you want to stay Pentax then I'd go with a K10D or older. Just my opinion.
03-29-2013, 04:05 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by usayit Quote
I am a Pentax/Asahi collector and I have an sizable collection of K-mount (K, M, A) lenses (and M42). For a while, I was shooting them on a Samsung GX-1L (*ist copy) which allowed for stop down metering via a single button (Av and M). It worked fine until it was dropped a few years ago. I then proceeded to a used K10D which I thought was a good upgrade given the brighter prism viewfinder. To my surprise, I had metering issues with the Pentax K mount lenses.. very inconsistent which seemed to be a well known issue after searching around online. Its been a few years now and I'm looking for advice on a used pentax DSLR body that

* Allows for accurate stop down metering (as with the GX-1L)
* Would be nice to support metering wide open on KA lenses.
* Bright viewfinder (prism instead of penta-mirror?)
* On used market.

I've thought about finding another Gx-1L or *ist as they are probably available for very little given their age but I figure i could ask here first. I've been "out of the loop" when it comes to Pentax camera bodies released since the K10D so I'm unsure which of the later bodies have certain advantages when it comes to shooting with K-mount lenses.

Keep in mind, this is ~not~ my main camera system (Leica, Canon, Oympus) so I'm not looking for an investment on the latest and greatest. On the other hand, don't really have a budget either. I'm just looking for a body to enjoy my lenses.

btw...

How's focusing on the mirrorless Kmount cameras?
Get a K-5, as its DOF preview button makes stop-down metering a bit easier than on the K-30 or K-01, which require use of the green button and an additional setting change. The great IQ from the K-5 is an added bonus.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-29-2013, 05:36 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Get a K-5, as its DOF preview button makes stop-down metering a bit easier than on the K-30 or K-01, which require use of the green button and an additional setting change. The great IQ from the K-5 is an added bonus.
But instead the K-30 got focus peaking, so I guess it's a matter of taste. Both K-5 and K-30 will work wonderfully!
03-29-2013, 05:39 PM   #6
dms
Site Supporter

If you still have the ist copy--will the screen fit the K10d. I used k20d with ist screen and had no problems with exposure. Also the k20d allows e.v., bias in M mode--a feature not om my Kx and not (I believe) on the k10d. It is a nice feature.
03-29-2013, 08:28 PM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
Also the k20d allows e.v., bias in M mode--a feature not om my Kx and not (I believe) on the k10d. It is a nice feature.
dms is correct, the K10D does not allow e.v. bias in the M mode. I agree that you would be better served to select a "newer" camera with this feature for use with your non A lens.
03-29-2013, 09:22 PM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Get a K-5, as its DOF preview button makes stop-down metering a bit easier than on the K-30 or K-01
Could you please explain this further. Are you saying that there is some other way to to do stop down metering on the K-5 other than using the Green button? My only experience is with a K10D.

03-29-2013, 09:39 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by wiseman Quote
Could you please explain this further. Are you saying that there is some other way to to do stop down metering on the K-5 other than using the Green button? My only experience is with a K10D.
You can use the DOF preview button also. Same effect as the green button.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-30-2013, 03:05 AM   #10

Try the Pentax K5, as already suggested here!
03-30-2013, 07:55 AM   #11

Original Poster
Great. Thanks for all the suggestions!

No longer have the GX-1L.... wish I knew about the focus screen earlier. I'm assuming the K20D had similar exposure issues as the K10D? What other camera bodies should I steer away from due to similar issues?

I'm probably going to want to stick with a viewfinder so it looks like I'm deciding between the K5 and K30 (focus peeking adv). After some thought and ebay searches, the K5 is hitting probably the max I want spend. I'm still considering (as someone suggested) another pre-K10D body... but really would like a brighter viewfinder

Last edited by usayit; 03-30-2013 at 08:05 AM.
03-30-2013, 08:03 AM   #12
dms
Site Supporter

I don't believe the K30 allows M mode and e.v. bias--and for that reason alone I would suggest it is not a good vehicle for older K and M lenses.
03-30-2013, 08:14 AM   #13

Original Poster
DMS, thanks for your responses...

Can you explain why you think E.V. bias is so important in M mode for manual lenses? Perhaps I am missing something. I am assuming that it still has a under/over exposure reading in the viewfinder that ev can be simply adjusted by stopping up and down followed by another stop down reading.
03-30-2013, 08:16 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I find focus peaking amazing for manual focus, so the K-30 would be my choice in this price range.
03-30-2013, 08:16 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Either a K-30 or K-01. Focus peaking.