Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2013, 09:00 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I made some good shots tonight, and hopefully there will be a nice night this night as well I just pushed an image I took to ISO 25600, but that really is over the top for the sensor, all kinds of artifacts start to show up. Will bring a faster lens to catch this scene to night. Left it home last night, of course I would have needed it, just because I didn't bring it this time... Don't know what I was thinking of, it's really not heavy to carry, though I do'nt find use for it very often. But sometimes it's essential...

03-31-2013, 09:48 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Instead of 1 25second photo you can also take 5 photos of 5 second, that will average out some of the noise and detail.

There is special astro software to stack these images.
03-31-2013, 10:33 AM   #18

Original Poster
I actually used that kind of technic on one image from tonight: http://astronet.se/view_image.php?id=2464&gallery=5

So far the setting evening looks good for new adventures out in the wild also for tonight
04-01-2013, 01:01 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nokturner Quote
Can't get any of my two K-x:s to reach higher than ISO 1600 in bulb mode, with firmware 1.01 and 1.02, with, or without ir-remote-setting. Was that ISO 12800 on your K-5 really in bulb mode? Than there is a wrong statement in the specs/manual as you say. Wonder about the K-30 in this case?

The K5 was limited in it's original firmware, but that was changed in one of the updates.

04-01-2013, 03:46 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I actually used that kind of technic on one image from tonight: http://astronet.se/view_image.php?id=2464&gallery=5

So far the setting evening looks good for new adventures out in the wild also for tonight
Is looking very good as well.
Is there a difference between the 3?
Would be nice to see them side by side.
04-01-2013, 03:57 AM   #21
Veteran Member

You should process the photo a bit more, just played with it a bit myself and you can pull some nice images out of it.

It's allowed to play with the colours and such right when doing astro?
04-01-2013, 05:29 AM   #22

Original Poster
I have uploaded the untreated images here:

http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/9031/norrskenpanstarrsm31240.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img221/9031/norrskenpanstarrsm31240.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img213/2953/norrskenpanstarrsm31241.jpg

They are slightly different as the aurora changed them between as they span about 16 minutes in time.

Yes as I see it one can fiddle around with colors in ones taste with astroimages. As you can se I already done that if you compare with the untreated images. I didn't want to stress the image more than what I did, some realism is nessesary I think. I'll be glad if you adjust the image in your taste and present it here In astro, as with other photography, there are people of both extremes: they who think that nothing, not even cropping, will be done after photographing, and they who manipulate harder. I'm in the middle lane, some realism, some manipulation. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

Last edited by Nokturner; 04-01-2013 at 05:41 AM.
04-01-2013, 06:20 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Even Nasa plays with the colours, but that's more to show the different radiations better.

I don't have a stacking program but tried it with you stacked photo, i turned the yellow to blue and sharpened the top slightly yo bring more stars out.
No big things but i like how the images feels now better in a more art way.

Attached Images

04-01-2013, 06:36 AM   #24

Original Poster
Oh yes, that was a change! One can see what I think is a small meteorite track down in the left corner. I actually photographed the rare blue aurora on the 17 of Mars from another location This was an artfull and refreshing presentation

It was good photography conditions the night that was as well, and seems to become good to night again. Several good nights in a row now. Got the picture I missad out on the other night when I hadn't brought the right lens It can be done even better, maybe I give it a third try tonight. Though it cost me some petrol money, maybe I go to a closer location. But that location is more light-polluted.