Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2013, 02:10 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Aperture priority + Manual K mount

This only works when wide open. I want to continuously meter when i stop down. I don't care if the viewfinder gets dimmer. M42 lenses don't have this problem. Short of cutting off the aperture lever - is there anything I can do to disable this?

03-30-2013, 02:25 AM   #2

put the lens on but dont lock it all the way it is secure enough and av works
03-30-2013, 02:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
To solve this completely, support this survey and force Pentax to uncripple the mount in future cameras to allow full time metering with all K-mount lenses.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/200075-pentax-rico...-petition.html
03-30-2013, 07:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

To clarify the earlier comment .... If you line up the lens as if to mount it, but you don't turn it so far that the lens locks, then the aperture lever won't get pushed to the wide open position, and you can rotate the aperture ring like on an M42 lens.

That will work, although the idea makes me a little nervous. Depending on how intent and handy you are, I think you can drill your own hole in the mount, so the lens will lock in the intermediate position. You would want to remove the lens mount before drilling it of course.

I signed the petition and would also hope you do too, although nobody really knows if Pentax will listen.

03-30-2013, 07:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I find that I don't really need continuous metering, though. Stop down meter using the green button, then adjust if you think you have to. You eventually develop a feeling for it. And if you shoot raw, you can PP to fix it a bit.
But sure, this isn't really a solution. Just an adaptation.
03-30-2013, 08:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

It is fairly easy to just remove the stop down lever in a reversible way and store it
I have 2 copies of this Rikenon P zoom ( below) so on this one I removed the lever and spring when I removed the ricoh pin.
On a camera without live view focus peaking the focus indication is not reliable above about f/8. So it is not a worthwhile modification
However on the K-01 the focus indication works OK to f/22.

This shot taken trying out macro mode my "new" 1979 era Pentax-M Zoom 1:2.8~4 40~80mm Macro. Now that is an unusual lens with a pull out macro snout.
It looks quite sharp across the plane at f/5.6 but has a little color distortion at bright sunlit edges.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS  Photo 
03-30-2013, 10:32 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My solution is to simply use the stop down metering available with your Pentax body. As mentioned above, metering every shot is more often than not overkill. In the camera menus set [Use Aperture Ring] to ON. I have no idea why the default is OFF because it has no effect on lenses with the A setting available.

Now set the aperture you want to use on the lens and set the camera to M. The Green button will stop the lens down, meter the scene, and set the shutter speed for you. An alternative is to set the stop down on the shutter release to Optical. Pulling the lever past the ON position will stop the lens down and display a scale in the finder, sort of like this, iiiIiii allowing you to set +/- stops by turning the e-dial for shutter speed, or the aperture ring for, well, aperture.

03-30-2013, 01:58 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
you can drill your own hole in the mount, so the lens will lock in the intermediate position. You would want to remove the lens mount before drilling it of course.

I signed the petition and would also hope you do too, although nobody really knows if Pentax will listen.
I went this route. I had an M50 1.4 with a bent filter ring so I wasn't worried about resale value. I just drilled another notch on the back of the lens. It now locks and I can stop it down while continually metering.
05-08-2013, 05:28 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
To solve this completely, support this survey and force Pentax to uncripple the mount in future cameras to allow full time metering with all K-mount lenses.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/200075-pentax-rico...-petition.html
By the time a non-crippled pentax comes out, it's apparently too late that too many good Ms and Ks are cutted already.
05-08-2013, 05:41 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hiktaka Quote
By the time a non-crippled pentax comes out, it's apparently too late that too many good Ms and Ks are cutted already.
Mostly because of Canon FF users...