Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-x Auto Focus

Trying to make a long story short, my wife liked the K-x better than the K-5, so I bought her another one recently (thanks docrwm!). Now she is the point & shoot type - doesn't want to be bothered with learning it all. Also she likes a zoom, so to give her the best I could in that respect, I have the DA* 60-250 on it for her to use - and that is all she uses.

I've had quite a bit of difficulty with focusing issues with my K-5 but have learned to deal with it. While the K-x is a great camera, I don't expect the performance from it as I do the K-5. Well, the K-x is proving me wrong I guess. These photos were taken with center point AF, and as you know, there is no indicator on the K-x to even show the focus point - but pretty easy I guess since it is set on center. I was sorting some of our pics from the last week or so, and came upon these two. I just couldn't believe that the camera focused on the bird through all that brush. And I know for a fact that she didn't adjust focus manually. Pretty impressive!

Last edited by photolady95; 04-17-2016 at 02:55 AM.
03-30-2013, 02:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Wow. Very nice. That lens makes a world of difference. I mean the K-x is a great little camera but a steady hand and a great lens really make it shine. Glad your wife s happy with it and the camera is seeing good use instead of sitting in a case (like it was for a while). Also glad to see its possible to get outside at your place now
03-30-2013, 03:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Also glad to see its possible to get outside at your place now
It was truly fantastic to get outside and shoot - first time in ~5 months!
03-30-2013, 03:46 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery

Hmmm, I'm curious why (technically) the lens appears to work better on theKx than the K5...

I recently purchased a K30 and am currently looking for a 70-200 or 300range lens that is affordable

Last edited by fatdaddy1962; 03-30-2013 at 03:53 PM. Reason: did not finish my thought...
03-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fatdaddy1962 Quote
Hmmm, I'm curious why (technically) the lens appears to work better on theKx than the K5...

I recently purchased a K30 and am currently looking for a 70-200 or 300range lens that is affordable
Technically I doubt the K-x is any better than the K-5 for auto focus - more than anything I was impressed with either the K-x or my wife's abilities with these pics. The focus area on Pentax cameras is so big that I was very surprised she pulled this off.
03-30-2013, 05:30 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Impressive focusing.
I can confirm (I have both a K-x and a K-5) that the auto focus is as good as or better in all regards on the K-5. I found a higher hit rate on the K-5 and the micro adjust makes a big difference for me.

In your wifes case it may just come down to what she is used to and comfortable with. And clearly she is getting good results from the k-x so thats great.

Lovely lens by the way - its on my wish list for sure.