Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2008, 11:14 AM   #16
Veteran Member

The user interface of the Samsung definitely contains more GUIs. The Pentax is like MS-DOS, while the Samsung is like Windows 3.11 (not much improvement, but it's certainly there).

03-05-2008, 05:43 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I didnt like the menu system in the samsungs...(GX10) but otherwise, essentially the same
03-05-2008, 07:26 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
the most important question is what is better, SR or OIS

everything else is either 100% identical, or insignificant (honestly people, how many of you "read" the menu...)

if the SR is a better functioning design than OIS then pentax would be the way to go, however if they are identical, brand loyalty aside samsung would simply be the better bang for the buck.
There is one difference that could be meaningful for some people.. the Samsung model's don't have Remote Assistant (you can't control the camera with a computer via usb).
03-07-2008, 03:06 AM   #19
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by corwynt Quote
Interestingly, I posted a similar question on a UK Pentax forum (pentaxusers.co.uk) and the responses have been much less helpful than the ones here.

The biggest concern for UK Pentax users seems to be loyalty to Pentax at whatever cost. One poster even suggested my original question was too contemptible to give a sensible reply!
A number of people here also live on PentaxUser forums, including myself, and your reactions to some light hearted banter over there has not really earnt you many brownie points....There are a lot of folks over there that have the Samsung-badged cameras, but most want the kudos of the Pentax brand (a recognised camera brand) rather than Samsung (jack of all trades). Even the lenses, a number snapped up the D-Xenon 50-200 when it was going cheaply....

The price differential between the two cameras has narrowed to the point that in some places the K20D is cheaper, also remember the GX-10/20 is unavailable in some territories - I actually haven't seen that many over here. Pentax owners might want to buy the camera bundled with the 16-45 or DA*16-50, this is more feasible as well....

I have the K10D and very happy with it, GF's sister has the GX-10 and is happy with it. I contemplated a GX-10 as a back-up body at the low prices. But as some people say they might prefer the feel of the Samsung over the Pentax, and don't feel any loyalty to Pentax, others don't want the wrong label. Nothing wrong with that.

03-07-2008, 12:52 PM   #20
Veteran Member

My reason for choosing Pentax over Samsung:

I want to support the further development of new and better Pentax cameras and lenses.

Yes, Samsung does produce the CMOS in the K20D and they do pay for the use of Pentax design. But I feel that at least a certain amount of the money I spend on Pentax brand stuff goes into development of new cool things for me to use and not just Samsung's cash cow.
03-07-2008, 05:06 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you think the grip for either might be in your future, you might want to check on how available it is for the Samsung in your area.
03-10-2008, 11:10 AM   #22

So, I've had my GX-10 for about a year and have only just discovered his forum. Oh well, better late than never.

Being a Samsung owner this thread struck a chord and I noticed this:

QuoteOriginally posted by welshwizard645 Quote
A number of people here also live on PentaxUser forums, including myself, and your reactions to some light hearted banter over there has not really earnt you many brownie points....
And I thought, been there, done that!. You see I posted there just after ordering my GX-10 asking for advice on buying a remote control. One member seemed to take exception to me joining the forum. His first words were:

"It seems you might be a bit late to ask for advice if you've already ordered Samsung. Will you remember the savings you think you've made when it's worth nothing in 6 months time once you've realised your mistake and want a proper Pentax instead? "

Must admit I did wonder, and ask, why I might want to buy a Pentax after 6 months. But I kept the response light. However, what came next surprised me a bit. In this person's reply he asked:

"Why then join a Pentax forum where most of the contributers(sic) here have little or no interest in Samsung products"

Not light hearted banter but pure snobbery. I assume he'll not be buying the K20D which has a Samsung CMOS chip at its heart. Anyway at that point I decided that the forum wasn't for me.
03-10-2008, 11:20 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Another thing to consider is resale value. I guess Pentax will have higher resale value in a year or two than Samsung (even feature-wise they are identical). In my opinion, what you save now, you will loose later when you upgrade to a newer mode (unless you again go with Samsung).

03-10-2008, 11:40 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drabina Quote
Another thing to consider is resale value. I guess Pentax will have higher resale value in a year or two than Samsung (even feature-wise they are identical). In my opinion, what you save now, you will loose later when you upgrade to a newer mode (unless you again go with Samsung).
because we all know the fabulous resale value of the K10D....
03-10-2008, 12:39 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by drabina Quote
Another thing to consider is resale value. I guess Pentax will have higher resale value in a year or two than Samsung
True but possibly only relevant if you intend to upgrade within, as you say, a year or two. But how many people actually change their camera every 2 years? In fact, rather than buy a new camera I might think about picking up anpther GX-10. Then I wouldn't have to change the lenses so often and wouldn't keep getting dust in the camera. I'm sure my camera is some kind of dust magnet!

Of course, the resale value of a Pentax is higher because:

a) it costs more in the first place; and
b) people will pay more for the name plate.

Time will tell whether the initial savings (around 130 in my case) were a good deal. Almost certainly for me as I never part exchange/sell my old cameras. Unless anyone wants to buy a 35-year old Praktica LTL for a small fortune ...

No? Thought not.

Oh well, I'll just have to keep doing the lottery if I want that GX-20
03-10-2008, 03:01 PM   #26
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by keithw Quote
True but possibly only relevant if you intend to upgrade within, as you say, a year or two. But how many people actually change their camera every 2 years? In fact, rather than buy a new camera I might think about picking up anpther GX-10. Then I wouldn't have to change the lenses so often and wouldn't keep getting dust in the camera. I'm sure my camera is some kind of dust magnet!

Of course, the resale value of a Pentax is higher because:

a) it costs more in the first place; and
b) people will pay more for the name plate.

Time will tell whether the initial savings (around 130 in my case) were a good deal. Almost certainly for me as I never part exchange/sell my old cameras. Unless anyone wants to buy a 35-year old Praktica LTL for a small fortune ...

No? Thought not.

Oh well, I'll just have to keep doing the lottery if I want that GX-20
I think you mis-interpreted the contributor somewhat....

I don't think resale value is meaningful these days... things move on so quickly that when you come to p/ex your gear you'll leave the store in tears, regardless of make...true there are camera models which keep their value but these are few and far between...

My GF's sister has a GX-10 and very happy with it; however what swayed me towards the K10D rather than the Samsung is that Pentax were quicker to issue firmware updates, and that when it comes to accessories Pentax seemed to be better provided for...at the time not many people were sure how compatible the accessories for the two cameras were.

To my chagrin, my GF has a Canon 350D, a complete tonka toy even compared with my *ist D (which is on long term loan to my father). I dislike everything about the camera (the lenses are good though, but expensive as she's shelled out for L-series), an ergonomic disaster area but it takes great photographs, the fact she's a better photographer than I am helps...

I do have a guess who the contributor is, but their bark is worse than their bite and you just have to rise above it
03-10-2008, 03:08 PM   #27
SouthShoreRob

Coke or Pepsi, lol?
03-10-2008, 04:44 PM   #28
Veteran Member

A couple of important differences

QuoteOriginally posted by corwynt Quote
I'm considering upgrading to something with 10.2 MP or more and I've been looking at the K10D, K200D and K20D. I've also been looking at the Samsung GX20 which I gather is identical to the K20D apart from the badge.

Apart from the badge and lower price, is there any reason why I shouldn't buy a Samsung when I upgrade?
Identical they are not. Very similar perhaps but I would not consider the Samsung for a number of important reasons:

Digital SLR Camera from Samsung TechWin

1. They do not support PEF format, and DNG uses up a lot more space.
2. They dont (from the publicity material above) appear to support 20 fps hi-speed mode (though I may be wrong).
3. They dont (from the publicity material above) appear to support lens AF adjustment capability (though I may be wrong).
4. Some 3rd party RAW converters (Capture 1) do not always support Samsung profiles. No probs with Pentax.
5. They do not have the same support infrastructure in terms of warranty support. Whether this is an issue will depend on your geography.
6. They tend to sell through low end retailers who are less prepared to deal professionally with real issues. By comparison my local Pentax deal has always provided exemplary service.

If none of this matters, then there is nothing wrong with the quality and performance of the camera itself and of course it takes all Pentax accessories except the grip.
03-12-2008, 05:44 AM   #29

Point 4 seems to be the most important one there. If you use a different raw converter, it won't be an issue.

My Samsung GX-1S is so much an *ist DS2 clone that it produces PEF files. It could be argued that DNG will be more wider compatible in the future.

I'd have preferred a Pentax badge on my camera, but that's just a personal vanity - the money I saved on the Samsung (complete with 2 year warranty) could be better spend on lenses etc and, indeed, my mortgage.

From a photographic point of view, I have a decent camera. Maybe not as many pixels as some and not as many buttons and controls as the more 'professional' models, but it's considerably more able than my ME Super.

As far as non-photographers are concerned, my DSLR looks impressive. They don't know it's the absolute cheapest one on the market and might well have cost less than their compact. I do have one very wealthy friend who saw me using my old Praktica MTL5B once and commented on what a nice camera I had. The point is that non-photographers don't know about photography, so there's no point in worrying about it.

If the camera is the right tool for what you photograph, that's all that matters.
03-12-2008, 12:47 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
They have change name on it from GX10 to GX20. From OPS(Optical Picture Stabilization) to OIS(Optical Image Stabilization).....