Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2008, 04:45 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax or Samsung?

I'm considering upgrading to something with 10.2 MP or more and I've been looking at the K10D, K200D and K20D. I've also been looking at the Samsung GX20 which I gather is identical to the K20D apart from the badge.

Apart from the badge and lower price, is there any reason why I shouldn't buy a Samsung when I upgrade?

03-04-2008, 11:16 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, if the Pentax brand name doesn't mean much to you and the cameras are essentially identical. Buy the one that makes you happy!
03-04-2008, 11:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Samsung GX-20: Digital Photography Review

"Essentially it's the same camera with a very slightly different body design, different menus and - according to Samsung - it's own JPEG processing."

also IIRC their image stablization design is supposedly different from pentax
03-04-2008, 01:00 PM   #4

one of the things that is always brought up in this discussion is the firmware updates and how often the companies have them available to the customer and its been agreed that Pentax not only has had more but has them more often compared to Samsung but besides that, the customer support and the warranty are also different since they are separate companies and some people have said that the pentax customer support is alot better.

03-04-2008, 02:38 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
No, if the Pentax brand name doesn't mean much to you and the cameras are essentially identical. Buy the one that makes you happy!
Good answer Steve
03-04-2008, 02:39 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you for that reply Silus - some good points there especially about customer support.
03-04-2008, 02:40 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the link Gooshin.

03-04-2008, 02:43 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Interestingly, I posted a similar question on a UK Pentax forum (pentaxusers.co.uk) and the responses have been much less helpful than the ones here.

The biggest concern for UK Pentax users seems to be loyalty to Pentax at whatever cost. One poster even suggested my original question was too contemptible to give a sensible reply!
03-04-2008, 03:28 PM   #9

Well, it's the same camera. And Samsung has no it's own DSLR production lines. So, as GX-10 is identical to K10, GX-20 is identical to K20. Well, nearly identical. Slightly different grip, different buttons, different JPEG algorythms (not sure better or worse). But it's still the same camera, manufacured on the same productions line.
So I guess the price and available support is what you should look at.

P.S. I am very happy with my GX-10, very good instance, no BF/FF at all.
03-04-2008, 10:21 PM   #10
Pentaxian

fonts?

I think I read somewhere (no personal experience) that pentax menu fonts are bigger and/or easier to read. That's a potentially important issue that you might want to look into if you have poor eyesight (like me.)

Paul
03-05-2008, 02:17 AM   #11
Veteran Member

... but the Samsung designed interface is a lot nicer to look at.
03-05-2008, 10:32 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
At one point, I was considering buying the Samsung. Maybe I'm a brand snob or something, but after realizing that both my home computer monitor and my husband's and my cell phones are all Samsung, I decided I'd be better off buying a the Pentax, as they are best known as a camera producer, rather than from someone who produces almost anything electronic.

Heather
03-05-2008, 10:36 AM   #13
Veteran Member

the most important question is what is better, SR or OIS

everything else is either 100% identical, or insignificant (honestly people, how many of you "read" the menu...)

if the SR is a better functioning design than OIS then pentax would be the way to go, however if they are identical, brand loyalty aside samsung would simply be the better bang for the buck.
03-05-2008, 11:00 AM   #14

First of all, it's not OIS, it's OPS. Mega OIS is Panasonic's in-lens shake reduction system, while GX-10 and 20 are labeled OPS

As far as I know, SR = OPS, they at least look totally identical. I mean I've seen both matrixes in a matrix-cleaning mode, and they looked exactly the same, including their surroundings. So I guess these systems are actually both Pentax's SR.
03-05-2008, 11:05 AM   #15
Veteran Member

чювак,

Digital SLR Camera from Samsung TechWin

QuoteQuote:
* Advanced digital SLR camera with 14.6 mega pixel image CMOS sensor (Powered by SAMSUNG)
* Optical Image Stabilization with Image Sensor Shift Mechanism
* Resistant to water and dust
* Dual Dust Removal System (Vibrating Sensor & Special anti-dust coating)
Optical Image Stabilzation = OIS