Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2008, 05:47 AM   #1
RaduA

Something new, something old, something awesome!

Well, finally I got my K20D. This is not a drive test, nor a first impression kind of thing. It's simply a story. I was so excited to try it that I left everything on default (even SR was off for the first picture). To my shame to I also put it into the Av mode rather than Manual and let the camera do its thing. I pointed the "gun" to an unsuspecting creature down bellow me and "shot". The lens is a SMC Tak 3.5/135 M42 with Pentax adapter, f5,6 everything else was on auto (WB, ISO, whatever) absolutely no pp, shot in pef, jpeg in PPL, resized in CS3, 100% crop in CS3. Please remark that in the first picture the cropped zone is well out of the center. The resolution of this thing is unbelievable. I guess with my FA 50 would be even better. The second picture is shot in Manual mode (with green button) with SR and “using aperture ring” permitted. The subjects were aprox 10 meters away.
Best 1000 Euro I have spend in a while.

Radu

P.S. I can't attach more than 3 files so I will try to put the last 2 in a reply.

Last edited by RaduA; 06-26-2008 at 08:00 AM.
03-04-2008, 05:56 AM   #2
RaduA

last picture

Jpg quality 11.

Last edited by RaduA; 06-26-2008 at 08:00 AM.
03-04-2008, 09:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Holy smokes!

Maybe some day.
03-04-2008, 09:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Quality looks amazing!!!

I can't wait to get one of these but that probably won't be until at-least the summer as I need to upgrade to decent glass first otherwise it just seems pointless.

What lens did you use for those photos?

03-04-2008, 10:02 AM   #5
krs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks good! I will be sure not to show these pics to my wife, who is still not very impressed with my pictures!
03-04-2008, 10:17 AM   #6
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by dopeytree Quote
Quality looks amazing!!!

I can't wait to get one of these but that probably won't be until at-least the summer as I need to upgrade to decent glass first otherwise it just seems pointless.

What lens did you use for those photos?
Hi, dopeytree!

The lens was a very cheap SMC Takumar 3,5/135. I paid for it like 80 Euro but it is available for far less in the US or Western Europe. This was the reason of my post my surprise regarding quality with such inexpensive lens. I did also some test with my other manual lens (SMC Takumar 2/35) and it looks pretty amazing too. Tomorrow I hope to mount my FA 50 which I think is in another resolution class than my 2 manuals. Please remark that the dog picture was my second picture with my K20D and with very poor controls (see original post).

Radu
03-04-2008, 10:25 AM   #7
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by mysterick Quote
Maybe some day.
Hi. mysterick

All I have to say is that I was VERY VERY impresed with the quality of K20D comming from the K100D. Maybe if I had K10D I wasn't so impressed but taking pictures with the same lenses and in the same conditions is like night and day between the two cameras I had own.
As a down note I am not very impressed with the high ISO noise so far but I didn't had time to explore the settings and make a final judgement.

Radu
03-04-2008, 11:16 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
The lens was a very cheap SMC Takumar 3,5/135
Radu
Radu... don't confuse inexpensive with cheap. The SMC Takumars were and still are world-class lenses. The SMC 3.5/135 M42 is plentiful and easy to find, but a GREAT performer. MFLenses says of it: "Very well built full metal construction lens, real competitor of Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 135mm f/3.5." And that is the non-SMC version.

Have a look at this review:

Asahi Pentax Super Takumar 135mm f/3.5 Lens Review | Lens, Very, Focal, Pbase, Min | Manual Focus Lenses-Manual Focus Lenses

and this article:

Fstop Comparison: SMC Takumar 135mm f3.5 - Litratista.org

So I am not surprised with your findings frankly.

03-04-2008, 11:52 AM   #9
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
Radu... don't confuse inexpensive with cheap. The SMC Takumars were and still are world-class lenses. The SMC 3.5/135 M42 is plentiful and easy to find, but a GREAT performer. MFLenses says of it: "Very well built full metal construction lens, real competitor of Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 135mm f/3.5." And that is the non-SMC version.

Have a look at this review:

Asahi Pentax Super Takumar 135mm f/3.5 Lens Review | Lens, Very, Focal, Pbase, Min | Manual Focus Lenses*-*Manual Focus Lenses

and this article:

Fstop Comparison: SMC Takumar 135mm f3.5 - Litratista.org

So I am not surprised with your findings frankly.
Well, Woof

Your correction is necessary and noted. I never implyed that the Tak is "cheap" because it simply is not. For the money it gives a lot if you don't mind some pf and the fixed focal range. But is superb in usage and very well build. All I meant was one doesn't need very expensive glass to obtain very good results from K20D. And the most important of my findings was that my Tak (and the 2/35 seems like that too) just is enough for the mighty 14,6 Mp sensor of the K20D.

All the best,
Radu
03-05-2008, 08:04 AM   #10
Inactive Account

All I meant was one doesn't need very expensive glass to obtain very good results from K20D.
Sorry, didn't really mean to come off as correcting you. These Takumars are apparently a relatively well-kept secret it seems. I really just meant to add further objective emphasis to your post. Sorry if it came across any other way.

And the most important of my findings was that my Tak (and the 2/35 seems like that too) just is enough for the mighty 14,6 Mp sensor of the K20D.
The Takumar f/2.0 35mm is an outstanding lens. The 105mm will cost you a little more, but that is also a superb lens on an Pentax digital.

For a bargain sleeper, I have found the SMC Super Takumar f/1.8 55 to be an outstanding value as well. These can be had for a song compared to all of the hype about the often-yellowed f/1.4 50mm lenses.

Regards,

woof
03-05-2008, 08:38 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Well kept secret indeed; however, here in the Philippines, word has leaked on how good the old Taks are, that even the C*nonites and N*ikonaks here are starting to collect them!
03-05-2008, 09:10 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Wow, I was just shooting with my Super Tak 135 f/3.5 on my K20D yesterday! Incredible colors/resolution, it's nice to see these Super Taks finally get a sensor that can match them!

(1st 20 shots or so in this album, labeled 135mm)

Picasa Web Albums - Jay - Vivitar_200mm...

03-05-2008, 10:01 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I don't have a k20, but I have always been pleasantly surprised by the images I get from my $10.00 Super-Takumar 135mm f3.5. An excellent value for sure. As well as the 55mm f1.8, and.....
03-05-2008, 04:11 PM   #14
RaduA

Thank you all for kind words and valuable input,

Here the second hand market for lenses it is not that well developed and the chances to find some bargains are pretty small. I will try to buy a mixture of modern expensive SDM lenses and nice manual lenses to cover my needs (well "craves" more likelly ). Today I mounted the FA50 and the resolution is totally mind blowing at low ISO. I believe that people who complain about noise on K20D are mostly victimes of their own eyes and mind. Looking at a ISO 100 picture (colors and level of detail) automatically ups your expectation by far. One more thing: the focus confirmation for manual lenses is way better (accurate) than on my old K100D. And I can report a very clear SR improvement (again compared with K100D).

On the down side the LCD is not a dramatic improvment over K100D, the AF still hunts in low light (much less than K100 though).

Radu
03-05-2008, 04:23 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I need some better glass. Love my K100, but if I don't want to use my old K mount lenses the only option for an acceptable picture is the kit lens. The other low dollar AF lenses I have are fine for personal use, but if I wanna post a good picture, I'm outa luck.