Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2013, 05:54 PM   #61

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Neville Quote
Here are some of my shots taken with an *ist DL. I am hoping to upgrade to a K-5 II in about a month from now.

Some very nice shots there Neville!

07-02-2013, 09:53 PM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
These are some really fantastic shots! I'm really enjoying them, though I was far from SLR level when the *ist D was a new camera.

I've got a question for you folks. How do actually say "*ist"? Maybe "asteriskist"? Or, "ist with a footnote"?
Oh no, not that again...didn't we cover that sufficiently on the various fora and mailing lists 10 years ago already?

I personally pronounce it "eye-ess-tea-dea", yes, spelling it out and omitting the star...I have to say, though, that other than on this forum and the pentax mailing list, it's very very rare that I ever have to mention the name of any piece of photographic gear.
07-02-2013, 10:11 PM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I say it like psst!, without the p. The asterisk is silent.
QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
Oh no, not that again...

So, it sounds like you can say it however you want to say it. I just wondered if there was an official opinion from Pentax. Like, I remember Toyota put out a public poll to decide what more than one Prius would be called, and the popular opinion was "Prii." Just so you know. That's the official position.

If I had an *ist, I think I'd stick with asteriskist, and if I had more than one Prius, I'd call them anything but "Prii." (I actually don't have any)

You have a point about actually needing to say it out loud, though. Photographers are few and far between out there, and the model of my camera is hardly ever the subject of a real-world conversation. Even then, "kay five two ess" isn't so hard. "Kay-arr" is even better.
07-03-2013, 12:58 AM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
Even then, "kay five two ess" isn't so hard. "Kay-arr" is even better.
Especially on September 19

07-03-2013, 04:45 AM   #65

Especially on September 19

Agrhh, matey!
07-06-2013, 12:03 AM   #66
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Good heavens, I've been digital for 10 years. I bought my *ist D (peculiar name) for over 1,100 in 2003 after a long association with Pentax film cameras (MX, LX, SFX, MZ-5N and Z-1P to name but a few). Later, I gave it to my niece, who I believe still has it, but doesn't use it nowadays (I wonder if I can get it back off her?). I then sort of went astray and bought a Nikon D200, which I still have, but converted to infrared. A D3 followed, but when the K-7 came out, I returned to the fold - a born again Pentaxian. I now have a K-5, but I still have Nikon gear in the form of the aforementioned D200, a D5100 and a D800, but the Pentax is closer to my heart and easier on my poor back. When that elusive Pentax full frame (I hate that expression: I don't consider my APS-C to be "cropped" in any way) comes out, I'll have to think long and hard about keeping the D800.

Anyway, having bored you witless, I'll pile on the agony by subjecting you to a shot I took from a hotel window in Filey, Yorkshire in April 2004.

Oh, by the way, I say "star-ist".
Attached Images

07-06-2013, 02:58 AM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Oh, by the way, I say "star-ist".
But, that'd be factually incorrect (or, at least, ambiguous)...a "star ist" was not a digital camera https://www.pentaxforums.com/camerareviews/pentax-ist.html but an ill fated attempt at making another 35mm film SLR. Not that the *ist was a bad camera as such, it was just a camera that didn't come at the right time....at all.
07-06-2013, 06:06 AM   #68
Site Supporter

But, that'd be factually incorrect
The facts have never bothered me! Star-ist it shall remain in my mind.

If I remember correctly (and at my age that's by no means a given) the star stood for "anything", so you could be anything-ist with the camera, though if I was being a parachutist, I think I'd rather a parachute.....

07-06-2013, 04:30 PM   #69
Loyal Site Supporter

I've always called mine "ist-dee" or sometimes, just D . This shot was taken with a Quantaray (Sigma) AF 28-90:

07-06-2013, 06:33 PM   #70

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
I've always called mine "ist-dee" or sometimes, just D . This shot was taken with a Quantaray (Sigma) AF 28-90:

Great shot with your ist-Dee Paul! The colors are super.
07-07-2013, 02:19 AM   #71
Veteran Member

The facts have never bothered me!
Ever considered a career in politics? Or marketing?

Star-ist it shall remain in my mind.

If I remember correctly (and at my age that's by no means a given) the star stood for "anything", so you could be anything-ist with the camera, though if I was being a parachutist, I think I'd rather a parachute.....
Good one.

Yeah, the star stood for "anything" in the Pentax marketing.....but it was still always odd to me that the one thing you do with a camera - take pictures - would make you a "photographist".

Oh, *istD anniversary tribute, so let me try to follow this great tradition of posting photos....here's one from the *istD's homeland, from when i(s)t and I first went there together:

07-07-2013, 06:32 AM   #72
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Great shot with your ist-Dee Paul! The colors are super.
Thanks Racer. The *istD was my first dslr, and this shot was taken about a month after acquiring it. (yeah, it's an older photo).
07-07-2013, 06:57 AM   #73
Forum Member

Oops! Nearly missed this thread. And me with an *istD [pronounced with a short I S and T, and long D].

The Rides!

Natural Philosophy

... and plenty more where those came from.
07-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #74
Pentaxian

Original Poster

Pentax *istD, Sigma AF Super Wide II 24/2.8
07-14-2013, 09:53 AM   #75

{Taken with my *istDL and 18~55 kit lens}

Collings Foundation WWII Bomber Witchcraft B24 at Paine Field in Everett, WA.