Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2013, 08:46 AM   #106

Here's a couple from my *istD

I believe these were taken with a Sigma 70-300.

10-25-2013, 08:52 AM   #107
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think people forget how good this little cameras still are and get caught up in the 6mp thing.
10-25-2013, 09:57 AM   #108
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Nice shots with that Zoom Paulh.
Thanks! That 28-90 is a nice alternative to the kit lens as a walkaround with a bit more reach. I never even think about the mpx when shooting with the D - I just enjoy the great color rendering & the compact size.

Nice GBH shots, Brew!
10-25-2013, 11:21 AM   #109
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Brew1brew Quote
Here's a couple from my *istD
they look great! well spotted

10-26-2013, 09:36 AM   #110

Thanks guys, they just flew by and landed in front of me, the second one was trying to scare the first into dropping the fish. He didn't, but I think he may have over did it. GBH's swallow food whole, I think this was to big.

10-26-2013, 09:53 AM   #111
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I got a very good deal on a veeery used *istD (56k shutter clicks) and liked it very much. But as I donīt use it so much i gave it to my father along with the FA80-320. He is very happy with the combo, although he sometimes "has to get quite back to get everyone in the frame" he says. I guess Iīll have to give up my F35-70 and see if that helps. (offered him buying a used DA16-45 but it was "too much money to invest for just his pictures")

I set the camera in sports mode and ISO 800, so he gets good shutter speeds hand holding the FA80-320. AWB and TIFF + JPEG. After taking pictures, he uploads the JPEGs to dropbox, I edit them and ask for the .tif files if needed for a particular picture. I am like a kodak express .

I actually get surprised by how he sees the same place I have taken photos at (my home town, where I donīt live anymore). I found out I am learning new different things about him.

Here are some of his shots, hope you enjoy them:

Last edited by carrrlangas; 10-26-2013 at 10:03 AM.
10-29-2013, 10:52 AM   #112
Pentaxian

I'm away from home, and have limited access to older images. The 2009 Leonard Cohen concert at Red Rocks had to be shot stealth, and the *istD was a logical choice. Not sure of lens, but most likely it was the m75-150 shot wide open at f/4.

The shot with the baby from 2004 was with the FA35 f/2, probably stopped down only slightly. I have no idea how ISO was lost, but I am sure it also was 800 ISO. I rarely shot the *istD with anything else in low light.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
11-05-2013, 05:17 PM   #113
Loyal Site Supporter

An oldie from almost exactly 3 years ago, taken with my just-purchased *istD & Sigma (Quantaray) 28-90 (xposted):

Last edited by paulh; 02-06-2014 at 10:34 PM.
02-04-2014, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #114

Took my mom out for a balloon ride awhile back for Mother's Day.

02-06-2014, 04:50 PM   #115

Good grief... I just found this thread today! I really need to get out more....

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
My *ist D was an ex-pro's workhorse camera, shooting over 80,000 actuations before getting into my hands, and I clicked another 10,000 or so before passing it on myself.
The feel of the camera, its operation and the marrying of D-BG1 to it was just excellent. Not a hitch nor a bad pixel. A touch of dust that wouldn't clear but little else negative to say about it.

It really is the little dSLR that could.
How do you find the shutter actuations? I've tried every website I can find to get the actuations on my *istD and I have not been able to find it! I can get every single other data from the EXIF but not the actuations!

I'm thinking mine is pretty high up there too. It was given to me a couple of years ago by a semi pro photographer, because he had several other cameras and the *istD was just collecting dust on a shelf. It still works, and works darn well, but I am starting to see some dead pixels on some low contrast sections of pictures. Will probably be adding a K50 in the future, but will keep the *istD since its so easy to use!

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Thanks.
The sensor in all the *istD cameras as well as the K100D series have pretty weak IR blocking filters, so if you put an IR filter on the lens, you can get pretty decent shots.
Since the camera is unmodified, you pretty much have to use a tripod. I get about a 1 second exposure at f/8 and iso 200 on a bright sunny day.
AF becomes useless and you have to do some focus bracketing to get proper focus.
Ah... good to know. I have an IR850 filter but haven't had a chance to play around with it much.

Here's a couple of shots I took last summer while on vacation.

Above taken with my SMC Pentax-FA 80-320mm 4.5-5.6 lens

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F2.8 XR DiII lens
02-06-2014, 09:38 PM   #116

Nice photographs penguin!

QuoteOriginally posted by penguinsoda Quote
How do you find the shutter actuations? I've tried every website I can find to get the actuations on my *istD and I have not been able to find it! I can get every single other data from the EXIF but not the actuations!
Have you tried the resource here on PentaxForums?

Check Shutter Count & Camera Manufacture Date Online - EXIF Reader

I just used it for the photo I posted here on the Mother's Day balloon ride, it was the 799th shutter actuation for my *istDL.

Give it a go!
02-07-2014, 07:42 AM   #117
Site Supporter

Question: I got my *ist DS quite by accident and then came to find out what a great camera I have.
All of you seem to have kept it years and years and your photos are fantastic.

Why is there any reason to upgrade later on?
Should I not maybe be looking around to get a spare *ist while they are cheap but great condition?
02-07-2014, 10:24 AM   #118

QuoteOriginally posted by condor27596 Quote
Question: I got my *ist DS quite by accident and then came to find out what a great camera I have.
All of you seem to have kept it years and years and your photos are fantastic.

Should I not maybe be looking around to get a spare *ist while they are cheap but great condition?
For me I went to a K10 for more megapixels. That an the added features the K10 offered.

*sigh*

But everyone is always talking about how "old" the K10 is. Digital cameras are worse than cars when it comes to depreciation. And change. Each successive model is "bigger, better, faster" than the previous one. I was holding out for a Pentax camera with a full frame sensor, but when the K3 was released I was disappointed.

Very disappointed.

So now I may be getting a K5IIs.

Not as big a jump in megapixels as the K3, but a different sensor, better high ISO performance, etc.

And the depreciation hit as I drive it off the showroom floor won't be such a big hit as I will be taking advantage of the low prices as they are getting cleared out to make room for next years models.
02-07-2014, 10:45 PM   #119

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Nice photographs penguin!

Have you tried the resource here on PentaxForums?

Check Shutter Count & Camera Manufacture Date Online - EXIF Reader

I just used it for the photo I posted here on the Mother's Day balloon ride, it was the 799th shutter actuation for my *istDL.

Give it a go!
Thanks!

Yup.... tried that one.... this is what I get:

QuoteQuote:
If either value is showing up as "Unknown", try uploading a different file, and make sure that it hasn't been modified.
Camera PENTAX *ist D
Manufature Date 2003:12:04
Shutter Count Unknown
Even made sure the pick was unedited in any way. *shrugs* It will forever be a mystery I guess. As long as it keeps working I'll just keep shooting with it.

In the mean time here's one I took last week.

02-07-2014, 10:54 PM   #120

QuoteOriginally posted by condor27596 Quote
I sold my K100D and I bought a K20D. While I love the K20D, sometimes I do really miss my K100D. I say if you're happy with your *ist and you've got the budget, definitely pick up a spare body.