Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 38 Likes Search this Thread
02-07-2014, 11:10 PM   #121
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The only software that worked for me in getting my *istD shutter count is a free utility for Windows called PhotoMe. None of the online shutter count sites worked on the *istD, although they worked fine on my K100D & K10D. Nice sunset shot!
PhotoME - Exif, IPTC & ICC Metadata Editor

Here's a recent *istD shot using a Zenitar 16 fisheye (xposted):

02-08-2014, 12:20 AM   #122
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
The only software that worked for me in getting my *istD shutter count is a free utility for Windows called PhotoMe.

I have never been able to find the shutter count of my *istD cameras. Not even with PhotoME.
Is there a hidden field somewhere?
02-08-2014, 06:51 AM   #123
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by skid2964 Quote
I have never been able to find the shutter count of my *istD cameras. Not even with PhotoME.
In PhotoME, it is somewhere down the "Manufacturer's Notes" section.

<<<P.S. - at the bottom of the data window on the right is a "filter" field. Type "shutter" in there and it will pop right up -- if you have an appropriate file with EXIF, either RAW or as detailed below.>>>

If you shoot .jpg, make sure you open an un-edited .jpg straight from the camera to see the shutter count. Some editing software will strip components from the EXIF data. If you shoot RAW, you can edit the file with Pentax Digital Camera Utility and the EXIF will be intact in a .jpg saved from PDCU.

Following the above guidelines, you can open an appropriate .jpg file here at the PF shutter-count tool to read the shutter count:

Check Shutter Count & Camera Manufacture Date Online - EXIF Reader

-Joe-

P.S. I don't have an istD, but the K100D Super (same sensor). I have never felt the need to upgrade to a newer camera, even though I have tried newer Pentax DSLRs. Sure, newer ones have great features, but when it comes to just making a photograph, the K100DS suits me fine. I don't "machine gun" photographs, and never will, and will leave video to others with their cell phones.

Last edited by k0og; 02-08-2014 at 07:21 AM.
02-08-2014, 07:04 AM   #124
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by skid2964 Quote
It's been awhile since I checked mine, but it could be under "frame count" instead of "shutter count" for the *istD. I'm off to work now, but you could do a forum search on the subject - I think that's how I discovered it.

02-08-2014, 07:13 AM   #125
Veteran Member

I will wait until I am more experienced. What I need will be revealed over time.

It seems the lenses are interchangeable.

My kit was under $200 with not a scratch on it original boxes.
02-08-2014, 07:29 AM   #126
Pentaxian

The *ist D is an under-rated camera. Ignoring it's megapixel size, the build-quality is fantastic! My fantasy is that we somehow take all the un-used DSLRs, like the *ist D, and magically put them into the hands of people using P&S cameras or their phone for all their pics.
02-08-2014, 08:06 AM   #127
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
My fantasy is that we somehow take all the un-used DSLRs, like the *ist D, and magically put them into the hands of people using P&S cameras or their phone for all their pics.
That would be a great thing to do.

But we would also have to teach them all to put their elbows down by their sides too.

Attached Images

02-14-2014, 12:00 AM   #128
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

A friend in the club I race with, in his 350Z GT2 car, getting ready to go out on track. *istDL with DA10-17.

02-14-2014, 06:29 AM   #129
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
A friend in the club I race with, in his 350Z GT2 car, getting ready to go out on track. *istDL with DA10-17.

NICE use of the wide-angle in that first shot!

-Joe-
02-14-2014, 06:36 AM   #130
Pentaxian

But we would also have to teach them all to put their elbows down by their sides too.
I think getting them to stop making duck faces would be even more challenging. lol On a side note...the daughter of my best friend started ranking her Facebook friends based upon the number of "selfies" they take. It was really pretty eye-opening how enamored with themselves some people are.
02-14-2014, 08:51 AM   #131
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by k0og Quote
NICE use of the wide-angle in that first shot!

-Joe-
Thank you so much Joe!

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I think getting them to stop making duck faces would be even more challenging. lol On a side note...the daughter of my best friend started ranking her Facebook friends based upon the number of "selfies" they take. It was really pretty eye-opening how enamored with themselves some people are.
Narcissism gone wild!
02-14-2014, 11:30 AM   #132

The only software that worked for me in getting my *istD shutter count is a free utility for Windows called PhotoMe. None of the online shutter count sites worked on the *istD, although they worked fine on my K100D & K10D. Nice sunset shot!
PhotoME - Exif, IPTC & ICC Metadata Editor
Alas, I have a Mac.
02-14-2014, 11:44 AM   #133
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by penguinsoda Quote
Thanks!

Yup.... tried that one.... this is what I get:

Even made sure the pick was unedited in any way. *shrugs* It will forever be a mystery I guess. As long as it keeps working I'll just keep shooting with it.

In the mean time here's one I took last week.
Alas, I have a Mac.
How are you extracting the jpeg from the raw file?
02-14-2014, 12:01 PM   #134
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Alas, I have a Mac.
I think the shuttercount concern is overstated on these older cameras. IMO the biggest cause of failure would be from the aging electronic components, not the shutter. FWIW, my *istD is still clicking at about 35k shots.
02-14-2014, 03:15 PM   #135

How are you extracting the jpeg from the raw file?
I'm not shooting RAW. I shoot straight jpg.

I think the shuttercount concern is overstated on these older cameras. IMO the biggest cause of failure would be from the aging electronic components, not the shutter. FWIW, my *istD is still clicking at about 35k shots.
I'm not overly concerned with it, its just something that would be interesting to know since I'm the second owner of the camera. But everything on it seems to be functioning and working just the way its suppose to so as long as it keeps clicking away I'm good. Curious... but still good.