Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2013, 05:20 AM   #1

Ditch my K-r for a Canon T4i? Thoughts?

Hi All,

I currently have a Pentax K-r with the stock 18 - 55mm and 55 - 300mm lenses. I'm fairly happy with this setup, but I have an opportunity to pick up a Canon t4i with stock 18 - 55mm and 75 - 300mm lens kit for a pretty good price.

My question is this: is this a worthwhile change? I don't have a lot invested in the Pentax format, so it's not like I have a lot of lenses to think about. But, I also don't want to go changing just to change; if I do I would want it to have a result of noticeably better image quality along with possibly other features (faster autofocus, etc.).

So, your thoughts please? Keep the Pentax K-r or change for the Canon t4i? Realizing I am asking this on a Pentax forum so answers may be somewhat skewed, but I figured you all have plenty of experience with the K-r and can probably give me an honest opinion. Thanks!

04-04-2013, 05:32 AM   #2

Well, since there is bound to be some bias.....here's an objective appraisal based on various criteria. For what it's worth:

Canon T4i vs Pentax K-r - Our Analysis

I think it confirms what most might suggest here as well.....that unless you are more video inclined the K-r is a better choice. Also, if all other things were equal with the camera bodies.....I would pick the two "stock" lenses you mentioned over the Canon equivalents any day.
04-04-2013, 05:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

sorry, don't see the point of it? unless you favour the handling of the canon much more.
if you had a canon & asked the other way around, my answer would be the same...
04-04-2013, 05:38 AM   #4

Original Poster
I've never owned a Canon so i can't say that favor the handling of it. The only reason I'd change is if there's some compelling reason, from an image quality perspective, to go with the T4i over the K-r. If that's not the case, then I'll stay "as is."

04-04-2013, 05:42 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the Kr is doing the job and there is no compelling reason within the feature set, buying because you can get a good deal sounds like a waste of money. I always say to myself "What would George do?" George was my common sense grandfather. His was a calm voice of wisdom.

I think I have about 20,500 actuations on my Kr- I have the itch to change bodies but not because of a good deal... because I'd like some features that are not included in the Kr - like Mirror Lock Up, TAv, 5 frame brackets among a few others.

That being said, instead of blowing $600 on a new body, you ought to invest in some better glass - try a fast 35mm prime for example (31 Ltd?). Also, I find the creature comforts - navigation of menus and such on my Kr to be much more user friendly (especially the auto ISO). My limited experience with a Rebel, and a 60D leads me to believe the Canon design philosophy is quite different than Pentax.
04-04-2013, 05:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The main reason one would go with the Canon is if one were really doing video with the camera instead of stills. The Canon is significantly better set up to do video than the K-r. On the stills side the K-r is a better camera on many levels.
04-04-2013, 05:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
you ought to invest in some better glass
I agree
a prime would give you quicker autofocus, better IQ, better framing (take da35 2.4. e.g.)
pentax has great affordable primes. and SR in the body. that in itself is to me the biggest argument not to change.

video .... canon indeed (although it is overrated in my opinion)

04-04-2013, 06:04 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't think that moving from the kr to a T4i is more than a lateral move, unless you do a lot of video. Honestly, if I were going to change, I would probably add a prime or, consider a K30 (or both). The biggest limiting factor on your current gear is probably your glass and not your camera.
04-04-2013, 06:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I am a multi-system user and I'm currently using gear from Canon, Olympus and Pentax. As others have said, the biggest upgrade would be getting better glass for your current camera. I own a T4i and T1i and there isn't a major advantage (even with the extra megapixels) compared to the K-r. Excluding video, I'd personally say the only reasons to switch to Canon (and specifically a T4i) are:

1) Better flash system (only matters if you're big into using external flash)
2) Better AF system (though not by much)
3) Better third party support for accessories (only matters if you plan to buy a bunch of accessories)
4) The wonderful Canon 85mm f/1.2 L II (only matters if you're going to buy or rent that lens)

Just switching from a Pentax K-r with 18-55mm and 55-300mm lenses to a Canon t4i with 18-55mm and 75-300mm will be more of a "sidewaysgrade" than an upgrade unless the four items listed above (or video) are important to you.
04-04-2013, 06:19 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thank you, everyone. You've talked me out of a making an impulse purchase! Now, for the prime part, I know it doesn't belong in this section necessarily but since some of you were making suggestions, I have been looking at some prime lenses. I don't own any right now (outside of actually several very old Pentax manual focus lenses from the 80's when my father was big into photography with his MX), but would the SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL be a good "all around" prime lens to start with? I'm looking for something that would be similar to what an old 50mm lens was on the MX in terms of versatility and such.
04-04-2013, 06:24 AM   #11
Veteran Member

If you don't want to spend a lot on new glass the DA 35mm F2.4 is a good place to start.
04-04-2013, 06:28 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Martowski Quote
You've talked me out of a making an impulse purchase!
been there, done that :-)
04-04-2013, 06:30 AM   #13

Original Poster
Yeah, I don't want to spend a ton but I want something that will give much better image quality than my kit lens. I've also read good things about the smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited. A little pricier but I'd rather spend a couple bucks extra and be 100% happy with the purchase than spend less money and wonder if I should have gotten something else.
04-04-2013, 06:45 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Martowski Quote
Yeah, I don't want to spend a ton but I want something that will give much better image quality than my kit lens. I've also read good things about the smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited. A little pricier but I'd rather spend a couple bucks extra and be 100% happy with the purchase than spend less money and wonder if I should have gotten something else.
that's the problem, there are so many options out there.
the 40mm is a bit akward focal length to me. maybe for those who use it it's not :-) don't know.

Personally i love my DA70. But this is a very different focal from da 35
Maybe you need to check (or just let us know) on what kind of photographes you like the most?
portraits, birds, landscapes, city, insects, name it...
04-04-2013, 06:56 AM   #15

Original Poster
Mostly portraits and candid photos of family (children at the beach, etc.). 99% of my photos are of my children. :-)