Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2013, 09:24 PM   #1
Forum Member

A99 or 5d3, which one to get in addition to k5?

I am currently using k5, and just couldn't resist any more the FFs, and better tracking focusing from other brands. I still like pentax a lot, maybe will make transition to a different system very slowly.

I shoot 80% of portraits (mostly kids) and 20% of landscapes, do not shoot wild animal.

downside of 5d3: no face detection, no fast SD support, no video focusing, bad DR
downside of A99: slower low light focusing, not as good high ISO performance, some report that the operation and menu system is lagging;

The recent A99 bundle makes it really attempting.

Which one would you choose? In particular given the fact that you own a K5 already (I have a few good glasses, DA50-135, Sigma17-50, FA31 and DA40, may sell a few lens if necessary, but prefer to still keep k5)

04-04-2013, 09:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ruoyun.huang Quote
I am currently using k5, and just couldn't resist any more the FFs, and better tracking focusing from other brands. I still like pentax a lot, maybe will make transition to a different system very slowly.

I shoot 80% of portraits (mostly kids) and 20% of landscapes, do not shoot wild animal.

downside of 5d3: no face detection, no fast SD support, no video focusing, bad DR
downside of A99: slower low light focusing, not as good high ISO performance, some report that the operation and menu system is lagging;

The recent A99 bundle makes it really attempting.

Which one would you choose? In particular given the fact that you own a K5 already (I have a few good glasses, DA50-135, Sigma17-50, FA31 and DA40, may sell a few lens if necessary, but prefer to still keep k5)
Tough choice, but a fortunate one to be able to make. The A99 has much better dynamic range, but that Pellicle mirror does rob it of some low light performance. In the end, I think the A99 will not be very popular. The SLT will be orphaned technology, and replaced with hybrid focusing. The 5d3 will have much better resale value.
04-04-2013, 09:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I picked the D600.

The sensor's better than the Canon. I'm not a big fan of the SLT myself, the last time I checked, the SLT took a half-stop of light off the sensor.

Last edited by ElJamoquio; 04-04-2013 at 10:05 PM.
04-04-2013, 10:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I picked the D600.

The sensor's better than the Canon. I'm not a big fan of the SLT myself, the last time I checked, the SLT took almost half the light off of the sensor.
1/3 stop, but that's quite a bit. I don't see how they ever thought it was a good idea. And good choice, it would be mine as well, but the 5D3 has more pro features.

Last edited by kenafein; 04-04-2013 at 10:20 PM.
04-04-2013, 10:51 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
I picked the D600.

The sensor's better than the Canon. I'm not a big fan of the SLT myself, the last time I checked, the SLT took a half-stop of light off the sensor.
of
I do like everything about D600 :-) , but the complaints on the dust/oil leaking backed me off, unless this issue is gone on new productions.

Sending it back to nikon every a few months, it just sounds too much trouble.
04-04-2013, 11:05 PM   #6
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What's your preference for better focus tracking? Is it the kids? To me, the D800 is an ultimate choice but nothing much wrong with the 5DMkIII.
04-04-2013, 11:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
5DMIII or D800E

Honestly, the 5D doesn't even *need* high speed SD support, as it has a CF slot.(Often overlooked, they still write over 5x as fast as SD)
04-04-2013, 11:30 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
What's your preference for better focus tracking? Is it the kids? To me, the D800 is an ultimate choice but nothing much wrong with the 5DMkIII.
Yes. Kids are moving faster everyday , which is way beyond K5's focusing module

04-04-2013, 11:32 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Sigma Fovean LOL
04-05-2013, 12:24 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Erm... Why not fuji?

Edit: Oh... TS wants FF.. Hee! Nikon D600 then! No-brainer~ Fantastic flash system and ecosystem in general...
04-05-2013, 01:59 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Not trying to be rude, but for kids, a lot of it is technique, timing, guile, tenacity and shoot more keep the best attitude.
A new camera with new focus tracking is not going to be the best way out.

If between the two cameras, the A99 takes a hit for the 1/3 stop light loss.
It may not seem like much esp. at low ISO, but it becomes significant at higher ISO.
This is evident in any of the sample comparison sites (eg. DPR; IR).
It also still has some lag between EVF to real time (not ideal for moving kids) (and the lag is more in dimmer light)

5D3 is the safer bet, imo.
04-05-2013, 03:05 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I own a K5 and the A99, I owned the 5DmkII up untill last week. Sold it to fund something else again. The A99 is nice an big. Feels very nice for the larger male hands. It also feels more solid then what we are used to from Sony. It's NOT as solid as a K5 though!

The static transluecent mirror of the A99 has advantages and disadvantages. Its mirror doesn't bounce, doesn't cause any vibrations. Off course, those vibrations are not an issue in lots of situations, but (for example) in ultra-macro photography the vibrations from a DSLR's mirror are exaggerated many many times and are very obvious. Forcing the photographer to use liveview or MLU. So, clearly the IQ reductions from the vibration are there. I even notice better sharpness in "normal" photography with the SLT, but do take into account that I am a obsessive pixel-peeper.

The disadvantage is off course the extra glass between the lens and the sensor, diminishing low light performance a little.
04-05-2013, 06:50 AM   #13
Pentaxian

everyone keeps talking about lowlight performance. if you shoot portraits and landscape then this realy shouldnt be an issue.
04-05-2013, 08:46 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
1/3 stop, but that's quite a bit. I don't see how they ever thought it was a good idea. And good choice, it would be mine as well, but the 5D3 has more pro features.
That's what Sony claims. The measurements I saw showed much closer to 1/2 stop.
04-05-2013, 09:35 AM   #15
Veteran Member

That's what Sony claims. The measurements I saw showed much closer to 1/2 stop.
Well, regardless, like I said before. I think SLT is going to be abandoned by Sony soon. The mirror is there simply to be able to use PDAF focusing. They're going to use their new hybrid focus system. It will give them PDAF with no loss of light.