Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2008, 03:36 PM   #1

Pentaprizm vs Pentamirror

I've heard alot about chep pentamirrors and more expencive and nice pentaprizms. I know what exactly those things are doing, but what is the difference for an end-user? Why Pentaprizm is better then pentamirror? Does anyone knows it?

03-04-2008, 04:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Snowcat Quote
I've heard alot about chep pentamirrors and more expencive and nice pentaprizms. I know what exactly those things are doing, but what is the difference for an end-user? Why Pentaprizm is better then pentamirror? Does anyone knows it?
brighter and bigger
03-04-2008, 04:09 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Hi Snowcat

Because due to the refractive index of glass, a properly engineered roof-pentaprism simply transmits more light to the eyepiece of the camera body than a pentamirror can, making it a great deal easier to compose a photograph due to the brighter image present in the viewfinder. See the link below for a more comprehensive explanation.

Pentaprism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Best regards
Richard
03-04-2008, 11:58 PM   #4

I love the pentaprism in the K10D, as compared to the rather dark pentamirror in my K110D. It makes for a much better and brighter view.

-Kevin

03-05-2008, 05:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have DS with prism and K100D with mirror. I can't notice any difference in brightness when using the same lens, but it is smaller.
I hope that Pentax brings back the prism in upper entry level. I'm dissapointed to see they used mirror in K200D.
03-05-2008, 11:04 AM   #6

Original Poster
Ah I see now, thanks everyone for the explanation!
03-05-2008, 12:10 PM   #7
Inactive Account

I've spent a good two years shooting concert gigs with the pentamirrored K100D.

It's simply breathtaking to then look through the finder on an ME or ME Super.

Gots ta get me one of them K20Ds...
03-05-2008, 03:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
I've spent a good two years shooting concert gigs with the pentamirrored K100D.

It's simply breathtaking to then look through the finder on an ME or ME Super.

Gots ta get me one of them K20Ds...
K10/K20D finder is quite poor compared to the ME/ME Super finders (or nearly any FF finders), just don't expect miracles.

03-05-2008, 05:45 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by distudio Quote
K10/K20D finder is quite poor compared to the ME/ME Super finders (or nearly any FF finders), just don't expect miracles.
Yup, if you ever look through those (or an MX), the differences between a pentamirror and pentaprism are pretty pointless (and both can't even begin to compare to a 35mm VF). I've used the K10, K100, istD, and istDS, and honestly they're all pretty close. If anything, the main difference is the VF LCD text which seems to be bigger with the prism-based finders.
03-05-2008, 06:12 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've never looked through the viewfinder of a K10D, but my K100D doesn't look bad to me.

I guess you can't miss what you've never had.

With all this talk about the K20D & K200D, I am getting tempted to pick up a K10D before they go extinct. Now you guys tell me they have a great viewfinder.

I feel like James Dean in "Rebel Without A Cause," - "YOU'RE TEARING ME APART!!!"

I am very happy with my K100D, and have to stop spending money on non-essentials.

A K10D body is not essential; a DA70mm or 50-135mm is!

By the way, one of the nicest-looking viewfinders I've ever looked through is on my Pentax 6x7.

Mike
03-05-2008, 06:23 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Bokeh Quote
By the way, one of the nicest-looking viewfinders I've ever looked through is on my Pentax 6x7.
The 67 finder is nice but I never found it as good as the LX with 60 series screen in all its finder incarnations. If you ever get a chance spoil yourself.