Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
About the image quality, you make it sound so black and white but i can name a few including myself that actually prefer the 10mp CCD sensor in the K10D, K200D and the Km over the 16mp CMOS in the K5 version and the K30 when it comes to low ISO shots.

So if you not tend to shoot high ISO you might not see huge difference.

As I stated at the beginning:

"Since the CCD in the K2000 has been said to provide great low ISO performance even when compared to successive generations of CMOS I feel I will have the low ISO performance more than covered in any case."

I know it's a long post but skimming does tend to sometime foment misunderstanding and contention.

04-07-2013, 04:33 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
OP had done a very detailed analysis on the candidates already, and because he intended to keep the K2000. I'd say get the cheapest DSLR body with the 16.3MP sensor in the K-5(K-01 doesn't count, I love mine but it doesn't replace a traditional SLR), I'd say go for a new K-30, it's got the essentially the same sensor as K-5, slightly better AF than K-5, 2 control wheels(you would love TAv mode), is weather sealed, got Focus Peaking so you can have fun with manual focus, what's not to like? The feature missing in the K-30 may not be essential for OP like the lack of shoulder LCD, less dedicated control button(compare to k-5), less bracketing option, lack of ISO80, lack of mic socket, doesn't support a grip.

my 2 cents

Last edited by elpolodiablo; 04-07-2013 at 04:38 PM.
04-07-2013, 04:39 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
I know it's a long post but skimming does tend to sometime foment misunderstanding and contention.
It indeed does, thanks for the correction
04-07-2013, 04:50 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It indeed does, thanks for the correction
Thanks for your earlier advice, respect due. I'm leaning heavily in that direction. Spotted a new K5 for $728.00 delivered; $179.00 more than the K30.

Been browsing the respective "post your pics" threads and while many images from the K5 and K30 are equally impressive, some of the K5IIs pics are almost surreal in their clarity and detail. Perhaps the K30 would be a better compliment to an eventual K5IIs. I am, of course, taking into consideration that at least a few images posted on the K5IIs thread are from "ringers", as are some of the early posts on the K5 thread (early adopting professionals with more experience and better equipped post processing workstations will have the IQ advantage).

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 04-07-2013 at 07:34 PM.
04-09-2013, 12:19 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I don't know about prices in the states but here in the UK the K20 is definately 'the' deal on the used market if looking for an upgrade from the Km...
04-09-2013, 03:42 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Thanks for your earlier advice, respect due. I'm leaning heavily in that direction. Spotted a new K5 for $728.00 delivered; $179.00 more than the K30.

Been browsing the respective "post your pics" threads and while many images from the K5 and K30 are equally impressive, some of the K5IIs pics are almost surreal in their clarity and detail. Perhaps the K30 would be a better compliment to an eventual K5IIs. I am, of course, taking into consideration that at least a few images posted on the K5IIs thread are from "ringers", as are some of the early posts on the K5 thread (early adopting professionals with more experience and better equipped post processing workstations will have the IQ advantage).
if you are wrong or make a mistake you can better admit it and get over with it, nobody is perfect.

The K30 is the exception though, it has many of the advance features, it's very comprable with the K5.
It has the same viewfinder and almost as good controlls, as bonus it has better AF system and better jpeg's
K5 is very slightly better with RAW, these are 14bit instead of the standard 12bit and it has a bigger buffer i believe and quiter shutter?

As for the K5IIs, i know that many are running away with it and with what you want to do with it it might be beneficial.
Just understand fully what the up and down sides are and if you aren't willing to invest some work in processing your photos i can;t advice the camera.
It's a bit like buying a very expensive printer with special head for more colours and in the end you buy cheap inkt and paper and don't use any colour profiles to get the colours correct.
In the end the different between K5, K5mkII, K30, k-01 and K5mkIIs are very small in the end result if you put some effort into that.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/207505-pentax-k-5-iis-vs-k-5-ii-take-two.html

With the K30 or K5 you've a camera that will serve you for surely 5 years and longer, by that time we have already seen 3 new generation of bodies go by. And you will want to be upgrading not because of the IQ but because of the new abilities of the camera.
"Even" with your Km you can make stunning photos, there is trully nothing wrong with that camera to be honest.
04-09-2013, 11:44 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Went with the K30.

Anvh, I'm all about post but adhere to the GIGO edict so you opinion regarding relative IQ between the K30 and K5 line really confirmed what my research indicated. With good post the roughly half stop difference in DR won't be an issue.

In spite of beginning all this with a strict adherence to my IQ criteria the features on offer from the K30 did end up becoming part of the final decision. The battery flexibility (I'm not interested adding in a battery grip to use AA), focus peaking for my manual lenses, and slightly better AF for my others, were just enough to make me feel quite comfortable with a camera that, even if I purchase an K5 MKIIs when prices come down significantly, will be less redundant.

With all the white noise and static of hype surrounding so much pricey technology these days think it's important to take the time required to make genuinely well informed decisions. Thanks everyone who took time out to offer their well informed opinions.

04-10-2013, 12:21 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Too late now, but I'll add my thoughts anyway.

I would tend to have done very similar to you, anything electronic I prefer to buy new if I can, the only time I would buy used if if I knew exactly how the item had been treated.
With electronic goods there's just too many little things to go wrong.

The strange thing is that I don't own any cameras I purchased brand new, my *istDS I purchased off my father (so I knew it had been treated well) and my film cameras have been mostly ebay purchases (but being mechanical they don't tend to have as many issues....... that and the most I paid for one was $50 for my Zorki, even if it was a dud it's still worth it)
04-10-2013, 02:51 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Have a lot of fun with your new camera.
You've researched it well so i doubt you will regret it.

With all the white noise and static of hype surrounding so much pricey technology these days think it's important to take the time required to make genuinely well informed decisions. Thanks everyone who took time out to offer their well informed opinions.
Yeah precisely.
I have a K5 now for a year and sure the mkII are better but it's not making it obsolete, any camera with a good 6mp sensor is actually capable of delivering a good enough image for most media's.
All that the new camera has over the old one is that they are getting more convenient when it comes to photography, but you ain't magically getting better images because of a new camera.
04-10-2013, 04:01 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MD O, this has been a very interesting process to follow and you have made the right decision for you. Post some pictures when you get your new camera so we can see the results of this well thought out procedure. You really did your homework.
04-10-2013, 04:40 AM   #26
Pentaxian

I've used K100D; K7; Kx: K5; K30.

IMO, just get the K30 which is already at a 2nd tier price drop from launch and be done with it.

Not everything lays out so well in theory (ie. the DR; DXO numbers; etc that you have laid out)
There is the newer better interface (eg. quick menu); Far better CDAF and peaking; sealing; better AF; AF fine tune; etc.

I have a user review here.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-30/218715-pentax-k30-out-about-user-review.html
It was catered to a forum of mainly non-pentax users and so it talks about some things that I find in Pentax that helps in photo taking, but ppl seldom tout as features over Canikony.
04-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #27
Pentaxian

I went form a k2000 to a k7, and even to my untrained eye there was a slight drop in image quality. Of course, going from the light plasticy k2000 to a solid, capable pro body like the k7 was cool.
04-12-2013, 06:36 PM   #28
Veteran Member

About the image quality, you make it sound so black and white but i can name a few including myself that actually prefer the 10mp CCD sensor in the K10D, K200D and the Km over the 16mp CMOS in the K5 version and the K30 when it comes to low ISO shots.

So if you not tend to shoot high ISO you might not see huge difference.
Glad you said that, I am in the same boat. I love the CCD shots I used to get from my K200D and I wish I had never sold it. There may come a time when I will get another. I *like* my K-5, but i *loved* my K200D.
04-12-2013, 07:20 PM   #29
Veteran Member

The 645D uses a CCD sensor you know...
04-14-2013, 08:42 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
Glad you said that, I am in the same boat. I love the CCD shots I used to get from my K200D and I wish I had never sold it. There may come a time when I will get another. I *like* my K-5, but i *loved* my K200D.

During my research I determined that selling my older CCD based body was a bad idea. I'm hoping that taking the time to document and share the research I did and the process I went through will be helpful to others trying to make informed decisions about buying a new camera (or selling an old one that should might still be useful). This is an interesting time to be buying a Pentax, used or new.

Edited because I was being rude. Sorry, Kyteflyer.

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 04-16-2013 at 11:13 PM.