Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2013, 09:26 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It would be great starting over. But I'd almost certainly end up where I am now. I picked up a Sigma 8-16 and an A-400 in the last few months. Add to those my WR DA 18-135 and DA* 60-250, I could easily live the rest of my life with those four lenses... but what fun would that be?

04-08-2013, 10:36 PM   #47
Pentaxian

I bought the Sony 5n when they were in the $400+ range, with kit lens. I basically wanted to try another manufacturer. I love the camera for its portability and some of its features, but its menu system, of course, is horrible compared to the Pentax DSLRs, and the lens availability, i.e. fast to F4 zoom lens, are non-existent. Sure, one could buy a Nex to Alpha adapter to use their DSLR zoom lenses, but that sort of kills the portability in my mind with another adapter out front.. I'm waiting to see what Sony comes up with for their rumored FF Nex camera and if they come out with their promised G normal Zoom lens.

Right now I have quite a decent system with K5 and several lenses for theater use, and the Sony 5n for casual walk around town use. I enjoy both cameras a lot, The Nikon 600 was tempting, but i'm not sure if they've gotten to the end of their oil problems (odd that both K5 and the 600 had some similar oil problems) In time, i'll probably end up with the Pentax K5iis. I just don't want to go thru the whole lens thing when i've got the ones i want now.
04-09-2013, 01:03 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry to hear about your loss.

I will probably end up with two systems. A Pentax K30 (or K5) with a FA31Ltd and a Canikon whatever with loooooooong tele zoom lens for wildlife. Best of both worlds
04-10-2013, 07:47 PM   #49

I'd go with Nikon. Pentax is just too slow to adapt. But this is based on wanting FF. If I didn't want FF, I would stick with Pentax. Pentax produces fine images and I have alll xlnt glasss. Buit when it comes to advancement, Perntax is behind.

04-10-2013, 10:29 PM   #50
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I know I'd stick to 3-4lenses per system I buy, thats for sure.

DSLR style handling and reaction + portability + nice small lenses + features + great IQ and handling, its still going to be a Pentax.
If I can bring myself to accept MILC handling more, then XE-1. ( I have a G3 which reacts faster than any X-series; but I prefer DSLR reaction/handling for now)
FF, hard decision. Old 5D or D700 does the job (again just with 3-4 f1.8-f2.8 primes which are not too big)
More modern FF option that's not so expensive, probably a 6D (D600 is out due to all the quality issues).
5DII is a very good buy now 2nd hand, if I can accept less DR and so-so AF.

I think I'd end up where I am right now (multi-system/ multi-format), but less my many Pentax lenses.
So likely, more than just one camera if I can start again.
K5IIs - DA15 / FA31 / FA77
5DII - 12-24 / 50 / 85