Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
04-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I had to start over again, hmm, I would probably get a m4/3 kit, probably olympus om-d, the f2.8 panasonic zooms and a prime or two. I chose pentax for its small size primarily.

If I wanted to stick with aps-c it would be difficult. Since I have just gotten into using flash, I might go with Nikon. Better flash options. But I only use flash so much...

04-07-2013, 06:44 PM   #17
Veteran Member

The problem for me with all that good Nikon glass is that you have to pay for image stabilization over, and over, and over, and over again. With Pentax the SR improves with Firmware updates and with new cameras but the good glass keeps being good glass.
04-07-2013, 06:58 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I'm so sorry the OP had to suffer the violation, indignity and financial damage of a break-in and theft.

Sure, I'd consider another brand if I were starting over. Right now, Fuji's X system might give Pentax a run for the money. But a K5 IIs needs no excuses. Even a K-30 if money is tight.

Big full-frame cameras would need not apply. Maybe for pros. But I believe FF (at least in the traditional sense) is so 20th century. I'll say this much: If I were starting over, I'd make it my business to see if I could get by with three lenses only.
04-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Start from absolute scratch? Yes, of course I would have shopped the other systems more. Ah, but would I have purchased something other than Pentax? That's a really tough question. The ONLY thing I dislike about Pentax as a brand in general is their much smaller retail footprint in the U.S. than when I purchased my first Pentax camera. Which by the way, also accounts for the far fewer 3rd party options in Pentax gear.

My first SLR was a Petri (M42 mount). Other than the match-needle meter, it was 100% mechanical; x-sync was 1/60 second. Especially since I also fell in love with Ektachrome (Kodachrome was always a bit too warm for my taste), you either learned how to expose properly or the frame was trash. You didn't have the luxury of salvaging almost correctly exposed film like you do with negatives. I had my choice of almost any brand when I replaced my Petri. I chose Pentax for two reasons, the camera just felt better in my hands, and there were a lot more reasonably priced accessories than there were with more 'snooty' brands like Nikon or Canon (yeah, from my perspective, the Canikon world had an ego issue back then too).

04-07-2013, 07:12 PM   #20
Veteran Member

If I had nothing, and assuming I didn't grow up in a Pentax household, I would probably be 50/50 split between Pentax and Nikon.

Canon cameras to me have all felt cheap and awkward. Buttons in silly places, weird ways of doing things.

For example, a mate and I went out taking photos one day, I had my Pentax, he had a borrowed Canon something.
He wanted to change the aperture for a shot....... we each sat there for about 15 minutes trying to find how on earth to do it, it seemed to be either hidden away in some menu, or required some special button press before letting it change. We couldn't work it out.

To me the Pentax and Nikon cameras just feel much better made, and much simpler to use. They handle like a camera, not like a computer.
04-07-2013, 07:37 PM   #21
Pentaxian

What you should do is make a little spreadsheet with a Nikon, Canon and Pentax kit (I guess a 4/3 kit while you're at it). Decide what you'd really buy in each column. For example, the DA15 is ~$600, but the Nikon version is ~$1500, so I'd never consider that. Really plan out each kit, both near term and long term, and then look at the list of what you'd have for your money. If you like small wide angle primes, or WR, of course Pentax will win. If you like large, fast expensive zooms, Nikon will be your best bet. If you like white lenses (photographic cod pieces), then Canon's got you covered. When I did that same exercise, what I decided I wanted the very most was a 15 limited, maybe a 43 limited and M42 compatibility (for the Takumar and Helios!), so Pentax is home. I have borrowed Nikons and Canons, an really hated them both. Simple things like shutting off auto flash, or changing ISO just befuddle me (lower end cameras), so my K-X stays in the bag.

If I had to start from scratch, and was limited by dollars, for $1000, I'd get a used K-X and a 15 Ltd, and maybe a Tak. For $1500, I'd add a 43, and another $500 would put a 21 or Sigma 30 in the bag. Once you have more that $2k, then think about better bodies. It always surprises me how good the K-X really is from an IQ standpoint.
04-07-2013, 07:55 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
I'm so sorry the OP had to suffer the violation, indignity and financial damage of a break-in and theft.

Sure, I'd consider another brand if I were starting over. Right now, Fuji's X system might give Pentax a run for the money. But a K5 IIs needs no excuses. Even a K-30 if money is tight.

Big full-frame cameras would need not apply. Maybe for pros. But I believe FF (at least in the traditional sense) is so 20th century. I'll say this much: If I were starting over, I'd make it my business to see if I could get by with three lenses only.
Yep! I've to agree with you Biro... Myself, i would definitely go for Fuji system. But perhaps make-do with the X20, (i'm doing so with my current Kr too though), and wait for the upgraded X-Pro1 which hopefully might include the X100S improvement.

Why? Coz noise control is superb, SOOC jpegs are superb, dedicated APSC lenses that are small and crazily fast, with more to be announced, including Zeiss support. Overall small and beautiful.. Only thing lacking is perhaps WR in comparison to Pentax...

Leaf shutter doesn't limit max sync flash speed to 1/180.

Being a mirrorless, it's akin to Sony too... Just slap on an adapter and let's talk about backwards compatibility.. LoL...

I'm close to "retiring" my A primes into the deepest and darkest dry cabinet, banished in the darkness until Pentax Unicorn appears. Meanwhile, I'm making do with my Kr and watching that Fuji toys closely...

04-07-2013, 08:03 PM   #23
Veteran Member

To me,the problem with starting over with Pentax doesn't concern the bodies which you'll be able to purchase all day, it's the legacy glass that would be hard to replace. Think of how many hours you've put into perusing this site for the early LTD's, A200 4.0, 135 1.8 etc. I'd probably go Canon.
04-07-2013, 08:08 PM   #24
Forum Member

I bought Pentax because the K5IIs and a DA* lens were the top choice for weather resistant gear. I know there are other weather sealed bodies but I didn't see quite the optimism with their lenses.
04-07-2013, 09:07 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Starting again?

Get a K10, some kind of 50mm, Done :P I reckon $150 would see you happy and clicking away again :P
04-07-2013, 09:18 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What do you take photos for? What kind of photos do you take?

Those questions would be my own starting point if I had to buy all new equipment today. That said, though, the mix of stuff I've got -- mostly Pentax, with a dab of Canon thrown in for quick AF and long lens shots -- is pretty good for the work I do. I just might buy it all again.
04-07-2013, 10:27 PM   #27
Inactive Account

Hmm, this is a tricky one, if I had my time again maybe I would have taken a cheaper K10 over a K7, then I would have bout the Kx for my wife and be more in Shape to buy a K5IIs now B) Also mean I may have grabbed more 2nd hand lenses before the big price rise with the release of M4/3 cameras. Ive been exceedingly happy with the Pentax though.
04-07-2013, 10:31 PM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would take the insurance check and go back to fly fishing. I'd get more keepers that way.
04-07-2013, 10:46 PM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by nanter Quote
I am asking this question in a Pentax specific forum understanding full well the biases towards Pentax equipment here, but I thought perhaps one or others may have been going through the same dilemma recently and could offer some insight.

I got my start with Pentax with the K10D, and since the K10 had upgraded to the K5 and put together a very nice set of lenses for all purposes, with a mix of mid-end stuff to a few prime lenses. About a month ago, my apartment was burglarized and my entire kit was stolen. So now I'm starting over.

Back in the film days, I was a Nikon guy, but I ended up selling my Nikon kit and no longer have any Nikon lenses. When I bought the K10, I was taken by its value proposition, and felt that it gave me an excellent feature set without paying the Nikon tax. I have been looking at the K5 IIs, versus waiting for the next generation successor to the IIs. The questions I have are as follows:

1. If you had to start over, would you consider leaving behind Pentax?
2. If any of you did have to start over, did you consider leaving Pentax?
3. On the IIs photo thread, I noticed some folks talking about a couple of Zeiss lenses. It appears that Zeiss only made these lenses for the K mount for a brief time and they are no longer available new. The limited lens line up was something that always concerned me about Pentax from a longevity standpoint, but my limited photography prowess never caused it to be a true limitation. Is this a legitimate concern, and more importantly, with its relatively recent acquisition by Ricoh, does everyone believe that Pentax innovation and support will be around for the long haul?

It's not often one is presented with this quandary, and frankly my inclination is just to put together a new set of Pentax equipment, but I figured I would do due diligence looking at alternatives first, and thought the experience of members in this forum could be well brought to bear on this task.

Thanks in advance for your insight!
My opinion?
I'd jump on the Nikon ship for a number of reasons, I was about to when I bought the gx10 (nikon d200 vs Pentax k10d) years ago.
I'm not a fan of Canon at all, I like the Nikon cls flash system and the fact that you don't have to struggle every time to find the accessory or tool you want just because the vast majority of the market is designed for Nikon or Canon exclusively.
It's not about image or glass quality, it's about a system, and if I didn't have my good share of Pentax gear and wasn't short on money, I'd jump anytime, sorry.
(Yes I'm a k5 owner.)
04-08-2013, 12:27 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I went through a similar situation as you last year. At first I had decided to jump ship on my own, sometime in late January. I sold off all of my Pentax gear, except one film body and a 50mm lens. I bought a Minolta 7D, a Vivitar 28-80 f/2.8, a Tokina 20-35, and a Minolta 50mm f/1.7. My total payout for all of this gear was somewhere in the neighborhood of $500-$550, a far cry from what a comparable Pentax setup would have been at the time. The 7D was one hell of a camera, and Sony seemed like a good option going forward.

Then, sometime mid summer, I went camping for two days, and I decided not to take my camera because it was a big heavy beast of a thing, and I didn't want to lug it around. Sure enough, that was the weekend my apartment was robbed. Camera gone, it was time to start over again. This time, portability was key. I didn't want another beast that was heavy enough to discourage me from using it. I ended up with a NEX 3 with the 16mm lens, and a Konica 40mm f/1.8. I also added a pop up hood to the screen. The first time I used it was quite a revelation! I have done my best photo work in years using that camera. Since then I have acquired Pentax digital gear again, but going forward I doubt I am going to keep most of it. Honestly the NEX series does so much so well it is hard to justify keeping two systems going.

If I was going to start over from scratch right now, and I could only have one camera, the NEX 6 would be it.