Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2013, 01:35 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nanter Quote
Is this a legitimate concern, and more importantly, with its relatively recent acquisition, does everyone believe that Pentax innovation and support will be around for the long haul?
That concern of yours seems to be ligitimate. Do some googling and find out what happens when companies get aquired by them. Infotec, Ikon, Infoprint, Nashuatec, Rex Rotary, Gestetner, etc... etc... All big names in the printer/copier-industry, all bigger names then Pentax currently is in the camera-business. Yet those names did disappeared during the assimilation.

Pentax probably got the same deal as all the other ones: No laying off of personel, keeping the brandname, and no big interveniences for the first X years after the takeover. After that, all bets are off.

04-08-2013, 02:41 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Goodness forbid I should ever lose my kit (KOW) but I'd definitely buy a Pentax body and as many of the older lenses back as I could afford to replace. With the exception of needing a WR body I am exactly where I want to be with my Pentax gear and I would not trade it for Nikon or Canon. I still feel Pentax is highly underrated by those who don't know the brand and that with Pentax I get the best bang for my buck.

The only reasons I finally went Oly with my M43 body were the fact that I honestly just did not like the Pentax designs for that type of camera and that older Oly body was about the only M43 camera I could find for under $100 besides. My Oly is basically my updated digital purse cam. I could not spend more than that for a purse cam, the obvious advantage of being able to swap out any brand of lenses notwithstanding. I do have other lenses I use on that, Nikon included, but my first purchase in terms of the adapters was the M42 one for good reason. 90% of my lenses are Pentax mount. At the time I also had quite a few Yashica ML lenses too, which I think are excellent, but unfortunately they are all gone now. I lost them all to the plague of fungus that hit me this past summer, shrug.

I know what I like. I like Pentax glass. I like Vivitar and Yashica glass. I honestly don't think the Nikon glass that I have run across is as good unless you're talking premium lenses that I can't afford anyhow. I couldn't afford to have the kit I have if it wasn't Pentax actually. Even used Nikon and Canon gear can be pricey. The fact that so many people out there don't know Pentax saddens me but it also works to my advantage as well. I get far better deals in terms of used gear than a lot of non-Pentaxians do. It's not just that the lenses are backwards compatible. It's also that they are often more affordable than those of Canon or Nikon. Even with the digital zoom lenses, I was able to outfit my DSLR respectably because it is a Pentax. I probably could not have done the same if I had bought a Nikon. I'd be sitting here with two lenses maybe, wishing I had better quality glass and more range probably.

I do wish sometimes that I could afford more in terms of digital primes, that I could afford the better zooms, but the fact is I can't. With the limits of my wallet I have to rely on a lot of older lenses. I'm a very low budget shooter considering I'm doing it for a living these days. With Nikon or Canon as my camera of choice I would likely not be working as a photographer. Being a Pentax shooter made it possible for me to have my dream job. I would not trade my Pentax bodies for anything even if I could afford to. Not my digital, not my film ones.

I obviously have a big bad case of brand loyalty, grin, but that's just how I see it, shrug. If I had to start over from scratch? Shiz yeah, it would still be Pentax. D-straight!
04-08-2013, 03:12 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am concerned that we're seeing more and more Sigma lenses not coming in K-Mount. Sigma in the past has always been a big supporter of Pentax - so thats disappointing to see. Especially considering some of my favourite lenses are Sigma.
I mentioned previously that I'd consider Nikon; but to be honest - if I was going out right now, with no 'system' to hold me back; I'd be very tempted by the Sony A99 to be honest. 24MP FF, in-body stabilisation, backwards compatibility to all the old Minolta glass - kinda tempting really.
04-08-2013, 05:31 AM   #34
Pentaxian

If I started over, Canon would be tempting solely because of 3rd party software support. I prefer Pentax ergonomics but some of the astrophotography software I want to use does not recognize Pentax (perhaps due to the lack of tethering support).

04-08-2013, 08:15 AM   #35

I'm sorry for your loss. Especially lenses are usually more than just a piece of glass and metal as you spend lot of time researching and debating if you should buy one or not, does it fit your shooting style/kit or not, searching used market for suitable lenses and so on. It also takes time to know your lenses and it gives lot of satisfaction when you find one which suits you well. I hope you find suitable replacements.

If I had to start over with same experience I have now, I would most likely choose Pentax as I already know the cameras and lenses and I would know what I get (it takes time to get familiar with all the lenses and cameras). Also I don't find other manufacturers lens lineups as exciting (I see them too conservative and they just make too much sense). But I may also want some change and try something else as well. You can always come back or use two or three systems. I would choose what would feel best at that time. Now it is K-5 + DA18-135WR + A*300/4 and Canon 5D + 28/1.8 + 50/1.4 (I can fit these in my Think Tank bag). Next week, month or year I may prefer something else. But new gear won't make you better, just gives you more opportunities. Or gives you some satisfaction if you suffer LBA So if I had to start over now I may get K-30+18-135WR kit (and maybe sell K-30 and replace it with K-5) with DA15, DA70, DA100WR macro and A*300/4.. And maybe some day buy FA31 limited.

If I was buying my first or second DSLR I may also choose Pentax because of affordable weather resistance (body + kit lens) and in-body stabilization for older manual lenses. I am outdoors person and I like my camera being durable and weather resistant. And I won't spend fortune for it even if I could. I have handled all the newest DSLR's from Canon and Nikon (but not D7100) and I still prefer K-5 for usability, handling, feel and looks. Especially the brick-like feeling and quite classic looks. I recently got K-30 as backup but I don't really like the feel of it (too plasticky). But specwise it's terrific camera for the price, best of it's class.

If I felt I needed FF camera, I would probably get second hand D700 with 35mm and 85mm lenses and build on that. Choosing is always difficult (at least for me) as you want to spend your money as well as possible. You just need to list your needs and go based on those. Just my 2 cents.
04-08-2013, 09:16 AM   #36
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry to hear about your loss. That sucks.

But if I were to start over, of course I would consider every system. No reason not to. But for me, I think I'd end up with Pentax again. FF doesn't interest me, I want compact, I want weather sealed, I want optical VF. If somebody else does that better now, I'd choose them.

Is Pentax here to stay? Your guess is as good as mine, but I think they will. Ricoh looks to be a better owner than Hoya ever was.
04-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #37
Veteran Member

This will sound like a mad rant :

Only thing I'd consider other than Pentax is probably going back to micro four thirds.

I sold my Panasonic G1 + 3 lenses to get the K-7.

The draw was Pentax "those primes"/WR/SR and the possibility of getting the GPS-O astrotracer. Also I wanted a bigger sensor.

The Pana G1 was a pretty darn good camera for its sensor size, weight and cost. The kit lens was very good quality. The articulating screen was handy and the EVF was decent.

But all of this was before the Olympus OM-D EM-5 came out. Which the has WR and SR. Still Pentax has a bigger sensor being a DSLR and "those primes".

MFT has quite a few people making lenses for it and is a decent system IMO, it is capable of good results.

But the Pentax just feels solid and coming from the G1 I thought eventually the K-7 size and weight might get to me, but its been the opposite, the weight is reassuring. There is no compromise in the build and the primes mean only the body is significantly bigger than a mft camera.

I've been impressed by the pentax lenses I've had so far, I've not used a non-pentax branded k yet though.

If panasonic or olympus made a large sensor camera with WR/SR a bunch of lenses with WR and primes then yeah... that would be interesting to me

If I had loads of money I'd get a k5iis + FA lenses and also an OM-D or possibly Sony RX1 on the side

04-08-2013, 01:51 PM   #38
Banned

One problem is that if I was still as smart now when starting as I was in 2008 then I probably would make all the same mistakes again.
04-08-2013, 01:59 PM   #39
twr

The fuji x series is looking pretty good. Wish they had the legacy glass though.
04-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
To do it all again... I would have borrowed a friends dslr and learned what lenses I needed.

I would still have bought into Pentax, but would have far fewer lenses. I analyzed which system I wanted for a year or so, but didn't analyze what lenses I want.
04-08-2013, 02:28 PM   #41

I came from CaNikon to Pentax (with a lot of time in m43 as well), and I have ALMOST no regrets. What keeps me here though (because literally RIGHT after I bought my K-5 IIs, Nikon announced the D7100, sans aa filter, and I definitely went back and forth for a bit) is the way the camera feels and handles, period. The camera makes sense, more than any other camera I've used; it's an absolute pleasure to shoot with, and that, to me, is most important. I don't really like the Nikon interface or the handling (I actually prefer Canon in this regard), but there's no question their sensors are kicking butt and taking names. The D7100 is no joke of a camera. But despite the megapixels, the K-5 IIs is pretty much its equal.
I think there is a reason to be worried about the longevity of Pentax, sure, but perhaps not for a while yet. CaNikon certainly seem more stable, but then so did Kodak, once.

I would, as others have suggested, make an effort to handle the bodies you are interested in from all manufacturers. I think I know what the result will be, but you have to decide for yourself. For me, once I held and used the K-5 IIs for the first time, I was hooked. I had the chance to go back to Nikon, as I wasn't really invested here yet, but I chose not to, specifically because I just didn't want to hold another Nikon in my hand.
But heck, you may pick up that D7100 and fall in love with it, and if so, more power to you.

Take it for whatever it's worth.
04-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #42
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
Hmm, this is a tricky one, if I had my time again maybe I would have taken a cheaper K10 over a K7, then I would have bout the Kx for my wife and be more in Shape to buy a K5IIs now B) Also mean I may have grabbed more 2nd hand lenses before the big price rise with the release of M4/3 cameras. Ive been exceedingly happy with the Pentax though.
Sorry I didnt read your thread post- I thought this was a retrospective would I do the same thing.
Firstly sympathies for your loss- I have been burgled 3 times and sense of having your personal space violated is a hard one to deal with. Soto re-answer your question I would probably get a K5IIs and some primes- DA21, FA31(couldn't do without!), DA40XS and DFA100 Macro WR. Then maybe add something like a DA18-250. A cheap replacement would be K01, DA35 2.4 , FA50 1.4. Add a DAL 18-55 to cover the wide angle and a cheap Sigma or Tamron Tele to handle long range. You would get a whole lot of kit for under $1000.
04-08-2013, 03:55 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I was to start over, I would be, much the same as Lurch, tempted by the A99. (Heck, I currently am tempted to get one...) A lot of the same reasons I chose Pentax (WR, body-based SR, build, old glass, etc.) wrapped around a 24MP FF sensor. It's almost too tempting.

But I'd likely still go with Pentax as I love how well made their gear is.
04-08-2013, 04:04 PM   #44
Pentaxian

I've been in the Pentax system since 1968. I've also had Leica, Mamiya medium format, Canon, Olympus and Panasonic.

But I seem to prefer Pentax.

I came close to leaving Pentax for Nikon...twice. Once in '74...almost bought a Nikon F Photomic SLR....but bought a Pentax ES 11 as it was a more advanced camera, IMO.

Then in 2007, almost went for a Nikon D200....until the Pentax K10D came out and it has been full speed Pentax since then....3 Pentax DSLR bodies....9 Pentax lenses, etc.

I stay with Pentax because of their high quality, picture taking performance, reliability and durability. For instance my 1968 Asahi Pentax S1a with it's 55mm F 2 lens...still works....with no work done to it, other than a shutter advance lever that needed straightening after a road accident in the '70's....now that's performance.
04-08-2013, 09:02 PM   #45
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I stay with Pentax because of their high quality, picture taking performance, reliability and durability. For instance my 1968 Asahi Pentax S1a with it's 55mm F 2 lens...still works....with no work done to it, other than a shutter advance lever that needed straightening after a road accident in the '70's....now that's performance.
That is very impressive! Yet that's what I would expect from gear of that time.

Perhaps some of today's top end lenses will still be relevant in 20 years, if the mounts don't change, but I can't imagine any of today's cameras having a 45-year future with no service needed.