Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2007, 02:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Adaptall/Pentax K100D

I am looking for a Tamron Adaptall Adapter for My Pentax K100D.
I believe it would have to be either a KA or AF adapter.
I would like full automation but it is not essential. Manual control of focus, aperture and shutter speed would be quite acceptable.
The Adaptall K does not work. It prevents the camera from operating.
Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
I am new to Pentax and to DSLR.

Thank you,

Mickey Oberman

01-09-2007, 02:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The K adaptor I believe would work like a Pentax manual lens - manual stop-down operation. On your camera this doesn't work? You won't get any of the priority or program modes to work.

What you need is a K/A adaptall - it has three electrical contacts and was designed to make the lens work like an 'A' Pentax lens.

I just bought one for my Tamron SP 35-80 2.5-3.8 CF, for use on my px10. In program I see the aperture display, in shutter priority or aperture priority I do not, but the metering works. And in full manual it's the match-indicator thing, no aperture (but shutter speed is displayed). The exposure is fine in all modes.

(The mount is fiddly to fit, unlike with the OM or even Nikon mounts. What you need to do is set the lens at max aperture (there's a dot on the lens to help with this... so you line up that dot, the lens adaptall dot, and the adaptall mount dot... and then twist it on.)

You should have the same functionality with the K100D.
01-09-2007, 05:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nesster,

The K adapter has a solid lip that touches all the contacts on the camera's lens mount at once. The camera will not operate in any mode.
Where did you get the K/A adapter? It sounds like the answer to my problems.

Thanks,
Mickey
01-10-2007, 02:24 AM   #4
Forum Member

Nesster,

Did you use the KA adapter with a Pentax DSLR (preferably the K1x series)? I have two K/A adapters, but both of them do not give me 'A' functionality on my K100D. I have no problem using them in full manual.

See my earlier post on this topic here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/671-k100d-adaptall...-help-pls.html

I appreciate any suggestions you might have.

Thanks
Teja

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
What you need is a K/A adaptall ...

I just bought one for my Tamron SP 35-80 2.5-3.8 CF, for use on my px10. In program I see the aperture display, in shutter priority or aperture priority I do not, but the metering works. And in full manual it's the match-indicator thing, no aperture (but shutter speed is displayed). The exposure is fine in all modes.

(The mount is fiddly to fit, unlike with the OM or even Nikon mounts. What you need to do is set the lens at max aperture (there's a dot on the lens to help with this... so you line up that dot, the lens adaptall dot, and the adaptall mount dot... and then twist it on.)

You should have the same functionality with the K100D.

01-10-2007, 04:39 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Tamron Adaptall 2 pka

Hi, i use a Tamron Adaptall 2 PKA fitting on my Tamron 90mm Macro lens..I set the camera to AV set the aperture ring to desired f number press AE-L button which gives shutter speed and i fire away...i found i could not use the "A" setting on the lens on either my DS or K10D...using the camera this way i have got the macro shots that i want......having said all that i cannot seem to get my on camera flash right...steve
01-11-2007, 03:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Pka Please

Nesster,

Wont you please tell me where you bought your K/A Adaptall?

Mickey
01-11-2007, 06:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

There's an ebay seller who sells the adaptall lenses, usually without mount, and states he'll sell you the mount you want... I contacted him, and he said $25, and I didn't have to win an auction to get that price. ($5 shipping) eBay My World - rcphoto5vnc
The adapter was in my hands in less than a week.

That's a real bummer about the digital bodies, I was all excited I could use my lens when I got one. So the Tamron K/A doesn't work in auto! Grrrrr.
01-11-2007, 08:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nesster,

Thank you for the address.

I read somewhere that an Adaptall II AF would permit all camera functions but I am beginning to wonder if such an item exists.

Mickey

02-20-2007, 09:55 AM   #9

There is not such a beast existing as Adaptall AF :-)

I have several adaptall lenses and adapters and I use them regularly with my K10D as I used them with my D.

Adaptall K: all functions as normal Pentax K or M lens. Remember turn on the selectoin "allow use of aperture ring" or something similar in the menu. Use M(manual) mode and green button.

Adaptall K/A: all functions similar as A-series Pentax lenses.
- You must set the aperture ring to smallest aperture. It is also marked with AE in the aperture ring (most of the lenses, not all). While turning the ring to smallest aperture, you must push tiny black button in the adapter. Smallest aperture (or the AE) setting locks.
- To use aperture ring again, push the black button again to release aperture ring.
- Bodies with the SR, after switch on, camera asks the focal length just as it does with A-, M and K-series Pentax lenses.

Tamron lenses will work just fine with adaptall K/A adapter, only autofocus and focal length information for SR are lacking compared to newer lenses.

If your lens does not give you all modes as P etc. and show aperture in viewfinder, your adapter is faulty or contacts are dirty.
02-20-2007, 10:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Info from another forum on this topic:

Hi,
I found this info on the topic with another forum which I've pasted below, what do you think?

Q: I understood that Tamron had stopped making the Adaptall II mount for
Pentax KA several years ago as a result of these problems.

A: The Tamron Adaptall II Pentax KA mount adapter is best avoided, as it is not especially reliable. Better to use the K mount adapter instead,
although this cuts down the exposure mode options on Pentax DSLRs. Personally, I believe that is a price worth paying.

Q: What reliability problems have been reported?

A: The A electronics are at the root of the problem.

I understood that Tamron had stopped making the Adaptall II mount for
Pentax KA several years ago as a result of these problems.

source: http://forumz.tomshardware.com/ce/Aftermarket-lenses-Olympus-Pentax-ftopict38264.html

regards,

Nic
02-20-2007, 11:42 AM   #11

I have three adaptall K/A:s and all of them are reliable.

Only some occasions with heavy lenses the adapter mechanism can be little bit loose and thus bend minimally, but enough to loose the contact. This can be "corrected" by moving the lens a little in the bayonet. You do not have to push the release button, just turn it a bit. And this do not happen very often.

Thus I disagree.
02-22-2007, 02:02 PM   #12
Forum Member

I have a Adaptall II mount on the back of my Tamron 90mm Macro w/ 1:1 adapter. Works fine for me on my K10D...
02-26-2007, 08:15 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Loctite and registration hole

I have 2 adaptallII K/A mounts. One is perfect and the other needed the hole drilled. Did not know about the loctite one but it didn't fix it for some. I'll have to check my drilled one later........
ALL normal A modes work just fine on my D. Make sure it is locked in "A" position.

Problem with Tamron adaptall mount: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
04-19-2007, 05:08 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I finally got a K100D two nights ago, and the third lens (after the 16-45 and lensbaby) I've tried is my adaptall SP 35-80 CF... and with a sigh of relief, I can report it all works fine, in program and aperture priority, I get the same exposure when I change the aperture, ie. everything works.

Plus, it's a hoot to use the autofocus - I just turn the focus ring while pushing the shutter button, and when it thinks it's in focus it trips the shutter.

I know the adaptall for K/A is the fiddliest of the mounts I've played with (Oly OM, Nikon) and if all things don't line up Just Right there will be trouble.

But, for all the Tamron enthusiasts, It Can Work Beautifully!

(now, I need that 90mm macro...)
04-23-2007, 08:25 AM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxsteve Quote
Hi, i use a Tamron Adaptall 2 PKA fitting on my Tamron 90mm Macro lens..I set the camera to AV set the aperture ring to desired f number press AE-L button which gives shutter speed and i fire away...i found i could not use the "A" setting on the lens on either my DS or K10D...using the camera this way i have got the macro shots that i want......having said all that i cannot seem to get my on camera flash right...steve
I have used both the PK and PKA Adaptall adapters for the same Tamron 90mm macro. I've found the PKA to have a mind of its own...sometimes it stops the on-camera controls from controlling the aperture, but when that happens I just take the lens out and put it back in and it works fine.

I've got a feeling that it has to do with some contact on the adapter not making contact with the camera. When it stops working consistently I am planning on trying the Super Nintendo treatment on it: rubbing alcohol and cotton swabs :-)