Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2008, 03:07 AM   #1

Anyone had this problem - K10D with AF540FGZ Flash

After trying several different things here is what I think my problem is. On my K10 the hotshoe is having an issue with connectivity to the flash. As a result these are the symptoms: Not all the time but often enough to be a concern

Will randomly go from P-TTL to TTL and massively over expose the shot.
Switch through the mode button and sometimes will just go from TTL-SB with no AUTO, MANUAL or PTTL function available.

Flash will not fire
Auto zoom feature will not function
Auto assist beam will not work
LCD screen will just disappear
Turning off the flash can some times "restore things" to how it should be
There are probably other things i can't think of right now.

Other times it works as it should and like an absolute gem. It's driving me crazy.

Some general observations I've noticed is that on the K10 it has troubles getting a correct exposure when photographing black or dark objects (like my camera). It sometimes is hit or miss when photographing light objects such as a wedding dress.

I originally thought it was a fault with the flash but I have used it on my istDS and have used several different lenses on both cameras and have had not one single problem. Every time the flash fires without issue, prefect exposure.

I have also noticed that the flash recycle times are way way quicker on the DS.

My question to anyone out there who has the k10 540 combo, are you experiencing or have experienced difficulties. If so what were they and how did you fix them.

Is there known issues with the hotshoe related to connectivity and crazy things going on. It does seem a little looser than the DS when it it mounted. I have cleaned it, but it doesn't seem to rectify the problem.

Suggestions, solutions or shared experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Matt.

03-05-2008, 03:22 AM   #2

Similar problems

I've had similar problems resulting from the fact that my K10D and 540 flash don't seem to fit together very snugly. I'm not sure which is at fault, but I suspect the flash. I have two 360 flashes which both fit well, as well as other hot shoe mounts which the 540 fits snugly on, but I did have the same problem with my 540 flash being lose on my K100D. I'm sure they'd fix it if I could find time to send it in... one year is up in May, so I've got to do it soon.

Anyways, the problem comes from the flash sliding back in the shoe ever so slightly that it still touches the main contact, but not the Pentax specific contacts. Doing this causes the flash to act as a manual flash, and will fully discharge the flash each time. for a quick fix if this sounds like the problem, get some small white plain labels and cut them in half. About three stacked together will increase the thickness of the hotshoe enough that the flash will tighten better, though it can still slide if you're moving alot.

The better answer is just to send the flash in to be repaired, so that it will tighten completely to the camera.... but who has time to wait when you're making money with it? Can't stop eating for 4-5 weeks!