Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2008, 03:25 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I bought my K10 for $900 and just sold it for $625 after 15 months of use (17,000+ actuations). It is a great camera. I bought a K20 for the additional features and while I liked the K10, I am learning more and enjoying the flexibility of the K20. I'm 60 and I travel 4-6 months out of the year. The K20 seems to offer so much more in terms of its range of use. As the K20 prices fall, so does the resale on the K10. If you have the $'s, go for it.

Last edited by ivoire; 04-10-2008 at 03:39 PM.
04-10-2008, 04:36 PM   #32
Forum Member

buy the k20d, life is short.
04-10-2008, 05:29 PM   #33
Site Supporter

Ha-ha I wish all life’s issues were so hard - while I am somewhat younger my soon to be 50 attitude has been as follows - very similar to what has been posted.

1. Do I want it? (Need never usually enters the equation unless 'it' is broke - computers are the same for me as Camera / lenses are now - damn!)

2. Can I afford it? (At this point in my life most camera equipment price range is not a real hardship)

3. Is there something else I want more? (I can normally convince myself pretty easily on the first two - this is where I put the binders on) - this is where things like vacations (we take a couple trips a year at least) - other wants (see computer comment) , golf clubs , new bats (yes bats have you checked the prices lately for new bats !!) or some new glass for an old friend

This year I got stumped on question 3 I just bought two new bats (about half the price of a K20D) and I am probably going to get a new glove, and perhaps try and golf more this year - a yearly unfullfilled promise I make to myself every year. Oh and I did buy some new glass for an old friend

I realize this has no actual benefit to your decision making - just how my minds works. On occasion I have been also know to bypass question 3

Good Luck and remember if you get the new women the K10D gets half
04-11-2008, 06:04 AM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by bt*ist Quote
I won't respond directly with comparisons of camera specs, product upgrade philosophies and comparison of alternatives (I agree with most of what's been posted above), but I will post what my Finance/Economics teacher in high school once provided us with as a decision-making aid.

Ask yourself three questions:

1. Do I really need or want this? (ie. 'the K20D', or alternatively everything extra that the K20D has over and above your existing camera)
2. Can I afford it?
3. Is there anything better? (either 'better than the K20D', or 'anything better your money could be put to that you need/want/can afford more')

Hope this helps!

Now of course we all know this.. but when you have CBA and LBA you are an addict and all logic is thorwn out the window....

04-11-2008, 06:38 AM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by schmally Quote
I want to reiterate how clever and intelligent the responses have been. I am totally amused and amazed!! I have been quoted a difference of 700.00 dollars for a trade. I am also aware that if I do make the trade it is 90% emotional but... the scientist in me likes to make faux rationales for my addictions!! Please help me spend my copious amount of $$$$. Much laughter and appreciation! glad I switched from my Minolta/Canon errant behavior. schmally
What about a few new lenses instaed of the new body?
04-11-2008, 07:20 AM   #36

[QUOTE=daacon;216856]

2. Can I afford it? (At this point in my life most camera equipment price range is not a real hardship)

3. Is there something else I want more? (I can normally convince myself pretty easily on the first two - this is where I put the binders on) - this is where things like vacations (we take a couple trips a year at least) - other wants (see computer comment) , golf clubs , new bats (yes bats have you checked the prices lately for new bats !!) or some new glass for an old friend

With reference to #2... stop rubbing it in for us broke people...

As for the 3rd question refer to the comment above. If you would like to give a new friend some glass ( I'd even take used glass) I love to intoduce myself... HI I'm Nikki! LOL

04-11-2008, 08:01 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
new bats (yes bats have you checked the prices lately for new bats !!) or some new glass for an old friend...
This year I got stumped on question 3 I just bought two new bats (about half the price of a K20D) ...

New bats? As in baseball bats? How many bats could one use, and are there enough differences between them to even be noticeable at the same weights?

Or are we talking about.... dare I say it.... BBA???

04-11-2008, 09:12 AM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I'll go along with this. I have finished the toy playing phase with the DA and DA* lenses, and now am setting out to learn the limitations and foibles of using my M lenses. My two M lenses are somewhere around 30 years old. They still work on the camera, and will work fine once I teach myself how the K10D handles exposure. Not every f/stop will be properly metered. I ran a test on the 100 macro, and found that I can believe my meter at settings from f/5.6 to f/11 when in manual mode. By the way, both my current M lenses were bought used. For pretty decent prices, too. 20 years ago I bought the SMCP-M 400/5.6 from a newspaper photography who was switching to Nikon so he could share equipment. It cost me Cdn $330. It was scuffed a bit, but optically fine. It has a mechanical problem with the tripod mount due to wear on the "brake linings" so it will rotate under pressure even with the clamp tightened, but this isn't something that affects the image.

Here I am, with two 30 year old lenses mounted on the front of the (almost) latest and greatest photographic instrument, the K10D, and they still work. There are some additional limits to the use on the K10D compared to the MZ-S film camera due to the mount differences. But they focus fine, and the image quality is great.

I hope to be out and around with the 400 tomorrow, and find out which f/stops work with no adjustments to the metering, and what adjustments I will need for the other stops in the range I use.

Am I happy with Mr. Pentax's philosophy? You betcha.

"manual mode" are you talking about the manual shooting mode? you have to adjust for the camera having a manual lens? Hmmm seems difficult.

04-11-2008, 09:29 AM   #39

[QUOTE=Derridale;216731]

But she still refuses to carry the big backpack with all the lenses in, the lazy woman.... I've even offered to get her one on roller wheels, but she tells me that it spoils her image and detracts from her shoes...

Of course, we had to sell one child into slavery, and the other for organ donations, to support our habits, but that's just the natural cost of living with CBA, LBA and SBA (Shoe Buying Addiction).

QUOTE]

LMAO The finace' and I have addictions. I have a very hungry LBA and he has a CBA (computer). We have NO childern and are considering keeping it that way to be able to afford our lofty addictions. BUT you bring up a good point about the child slavery.. couldn't that be used to your advantage? Used to carry the camera bag.. like a small camel.. LOL I am horrible I know.. but too funny!

04-11-2008, 10:57 AM   #40
Site Supporter

CBA, LBA--ahh, come on. It may not really be addiction. If you check my signature you'd think addiction, but no it's just RECREATIONAL USE. Really, I don't have to do it--hang on, my friend is handing me a lens to look through--whoa, headrush. That's cool. How much to take it home. Can I pay you next week? Cool, got any more?

Like I was saying, purely recreational use. I can stop any time I want...plus, my wife isn't home when the UPS and FedEx trucks deliver. Nobody will ever know...So I just use it myself with no witnesses to see that I do it. That still fits the definition of "recreational use" doesn't it?

(Note: no K20D yet. Does that mean I'm getting better?)
04-11-2008, 11:56 AM   #41
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by madisonphotogrl Quote
<snip>

With reference to #2... stop rubbing it in for us broke people...

As for the 3rd question refer to the comment above. If you would like to give a new friend some glass ( I'd even take used glass) I love to intoduce myself... HI I'm Nikki! LOL

Sorry Nikki I am not rich or well to do by any means just a middle class working stiff like the most of us who can take a plunge on self indulgence now and again (for a trade off eh )

haha - I have a hard enough time giving glass to myself !

Last edited by daacon; 04-11-2008 at 01:34 PM. Reason: spelling as per usual
04-11-2008, 12:02 PM   #42
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
New bats? As in baseball bats? How many bats could one use, and are there enough differences between them to even be noticeable at the same weights?
Or are we talking about.... dare I say it.... BBA???
hah no not BBA as the last new bat I bought was about 3 years ago. My wife and both play so a bat for each of us and yes it is down right frightening what these new alloy , composite bats can cost. We went middle of the road maybe low upper end at about $300.00 each. Check it out next time you are in sports store Miken Baseball & Softball Bats - PriceGrabber.com and these as US prices always more here.
04-11-2008, 12:27 PM   #43
Pentaxian

What about a few new lenses instaed of the new body?
Trust me, when you get to be 60, you'd like a new body!
04-11-2008, 02:05 PM   #44
Veteran Member

stick with the K10D get the 20 when you need the added features and of course giving it time to decrese in price
04-11-2008, 02:55 PM   #45
Veteran Member

BUT you bring up a good point about the child slavery.. couldn't that be used to your advantage? Used to carry the camera bag.. like a small camel.. LOL I am horrible I know.. but too funny!

Now there is an interesting proposition - have MORE kids, so you could sell some to raise the cash to feed the LBA and CBA, while keeping others to train as packhorses. Great idea, Nikki

For those who may think we're being serious here..... wanna buy a couple of kids?