Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2013, 01:30 AM   #16

Just put the body in a plastic bag and seal the open with a rubber band.

04-10-2013, 01:55 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vodanh1982 Quote
Just put the body in a plastic bag and seal the open with a rubber band.
I'm all for MacGyver solutions, but the same can be said for anything. Why do you need a WR camera when they sell WR protective covers to go over your camera? Why do you need a viewfinder cap when you could just use a piece of electrical tape? DIY solutions work in a pinch or to save money, but there are often more professional and "made for" products available for nearly everything. I mean they sell a product that cracks eggs for crying out loud!
Now I can't think of the perfect situation when someone might want or appreciate a WR body cap, but I personally would buy and use one if it was cheap. And it's simple enough a product to be made easily and cheaply. If you can buy a bayonet mounted body cap on ebay from China for a dollar, why not one with an added rubber gasket?
04-10-2013, 02:06 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ok here's a situation...

I took my family on a road trip a couple weeks back in our minivan. My 6 year old son sat in the back row and the luggage was behind him. Sometime during the drive he tossed a water bottle that he thought was properly closed atop the pile of luggage. When we reached our hotel, three of our bags were wet. Luckily my K-5 IIs with a non-WR lens mounted in its non-WR Tamrac bag did not get wet. It easily could have. A $5 WR body cap could have prevented a more unfortunate accident, had it gotten wet just as well as and for a lot less money than a WR lens would have.
Such situations happen while traveling.
04-10-2013, 04:19 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A couple of points here to consider.

First of all there are K mount body caps that engage the bayoneted, the low cost plastic shipping caps sold with your camera are really just that. Older pentax cameras came with these caps also, as do teleconverters etc. check on ebay I'm sure you can find them cheap

Second, I can sympathize with the OP as I have a 200-500/5.6 zoom that weighs in excess of 7 pounds. It travels uncounted clearly. It is a packing issue, big lenses or even small lenses on camera don't pack efficiently, but carrying uncounted is really only done when moving from home to temporary "home" when travelling between shooting locations. I don't carry my full kit when out and about, the rest stays at the temporary home. I don't worry about WR on my main carrying solution because when travelling major distances, if my gear gets wet I have bigger problems.

Even when out hiking, I don't worry about WR, I consider that insurance. All my cams bags and backpacks have rain covers and are basically water proof to the extent needed to be out. I bage my cams when shooting in the rain.

WR means weather resistance, not water proof. I treat it as insurance not primary protection

04-10-2013, 05:25 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
How many shots are going to be missed because you have to get the lens out and mount it , I also have just a rough idea where my body cap is My cameras only have a lens off for changing lenses.
I would worry more of dropping/damaging the lens or camera in situations like this, than on water damage of equipment in the bag. Especially when removing the cap and putting a lens on in bad weather when WR is needed.

The most damage I done to my equipment is dropping lenses when changing them. And using a cap whenever the camera is in the bag will probably make atleast twice as many lens changes.
04-10-2013, 08:21 AM   #21
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There's an even easier solution. Don't take the kids with you.

(Oh, c'mon. You know I wasn't the only one thinking that. )
04-30-2013, 08:54 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I have found a very simple solution here in Bangalore. I bought two new old stock black plastic body cap that has the bayonet lens flange for $ 2 each - Sun Shine Industries, Industrial Area, New Delhi - 110015. NOTE: Pentax supplies the white plastic plain flange-less cap that keeps falling off in my Swiss Gear Camera Back Pack.
I slipped on a soft "O-ring" and mounted it on the body - the same way you would a lens - click stops at the lock / release pin.
Regards.
Nanhi - from that far away enchanting land.
05-01-2013, 01:53 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Normally one of my cameras has only a body cap on it as I usually have both a dslr and a film camera with me. I doubt very much that enough water would enter the body through the camera bag and the cheap plastic body cap unless the entire bag was immersed into the water in which case just how good is the WP protection from that? Some of the body caps are better than others.

Last year for world pinhole day I made a pinhole for a Nikon out of a Nikon body cap and that cap locked into place better on my Pentax than the D200.

As far as the cost of a WP body cap we can all say that a company can add this and that for little cost but they all add up and consumers decide based on a couple of dollars on a 600 dollar item.

08-12-2014, 07:30 PM   #24

I know that this is an old thread but I had an experience that I think that weather resistant body cap would be an insurance. In my perspective, WR also meant dust-resistant too. I have many adapted lenses (nikon, olympus, yashica, etc) and swop them to use quite a bit now and then. Most of the time, a body cap is used instead of lens. The standard white cap seems to have a gap when I put on my K-30 and sometimes, i realise small specks of dust (City air is full of them everywhere) does enter the mirror box. While a blower does the job, it would be good if the body cap does seals. I would prefer one that locks securely too, my body cap pops off when in the bag at times. Better still, make a metal one for those accidental knocks. Afterall, the sensor is inside.
08-12-2014, 07:43 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Gnarelsek Sir, please read my post # 2 above yours for a simple and cheap solution. You can try buying the bayonet type body caps from India or China.
Regards.
08-12-2014, 08:02 PM   #26

My body cap is a DA40/2.8 Ltd.
It works a treat and takes up barely any space in my bag.

Perhaps the XS version would be an alternative? Good IQ, usable straight out of the bag and takes up very little space.

Of course these aren't WR options but they'll keep the dust at bay. If you have water sloshing round in your bag then you have bigger problems to worry about
08-12-2014, 11:48 PM   #27

More WR pancake lenses/body cap lenses would be awesome and could be used for transport and shooting.

As for WR body cap... There isn't one because not many ppl need one; I get the idea of not travelling with the lens on, but why not just seal the camera up in a bag to stop it getting damp when not in use? The problem with a WR body cap is that you can't use your camera until swapping for a lens (probably a WR one!) and that very action compromises the WR sealing... As for the comparison about why need WR when you can just use a rain cover; I find rain covers annoying to use as I can't handle the camera controls well... Camera in storage? I don't seem to need to handle the controls of the camera!
08-13-2014, 12:04 AM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by nanhi Quote
Gnarelsek Sir, please read my post # 2 above yours for a simple and cheap solution. You can try buying the bayonet type body caps from India or China.
Regards.
Got to try that out. What o-ring size did you use? A picture perhaps?
08-13-2014, 01:39 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DanGleabols Quote
More WR pancake lenses/body cap lenses would be awesome and could be used for transport and shooting.

As for WR body cap... There isn't one because not many ppl need one; I get the idea of not travelling with the lens on, but why not just seal the camera up in a bag to stop it getting damp when not in use? The problem with a WR body cap is that you can't use your camera until swapping for a lens (probably a WR one!) and that very action compromises the WR sealing... As for the comparison about why need WR when you can just use a rain cover; I find rain covers annoying to use as I can't handle the camera controls well... Camera in storage? I don't seem to need to handle the controls of the camera!

The argument against something is always the same.
Why bother with a waterproof smartphone when you can use a waterproof case?
Why bother with a waterproof case when you can use a small dry bag?
Why bother with a dry bag when you can use a ziplock bag?
Why bother with a ziplock bag when you can use a condom?
Why bother with a condom when you can just keep your phone away from water?

Some people that want a waterproof phone want the feature built in (like on the Samsung and Sony flagship phones), and some people are perfectly happy buying an Apple or HTC phone without the feature, and using any of the methods listed above to waterproof their phone.
Most water/weatherproof versions of common products have room in the marketplace.

Does it make sense that there are weather/waterproof versions of cameras, lenses, sd cards, hotshoe flashes, shutter remotes, astro tracers, and camera bags, but no weatherproof lens caps?
Is it just me or does the availability of a WR lens cap both fit a whole in the market and offer less redundancy than other popular water/weatherproofing products?

Corrrection: I kept writing "WR lens cap" (at 2am as I wrote this). It's been so long since my original post that I forgot the argument was about WR body caps, and not lens caps. Sorry!

Last edited by geomez; 08-13-2014 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Stupidity
08-13-2014, 07:33 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Living in the tropics near the equator where the weather is either only burning hot or water-world wet, traveling even with a WR body/lens requires extra care... of course you don't take the cam out of the bag when it's not mounted on a WR lens, but if the place allows I still carry them separated, for packing convenience, then just mount the lens on the cam in a relatively safe spot.

Having a WR body cap (and of course, WR lens rear cap too), I believe, isn't an absolute necessity especially as part of the kit but it would be amusing if Pentax did things that way.