Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2013, 04:17 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My *ist DS just won't die

and I am contemplating prematurely reincarnating it as an IR body.

I have used it with an 760nm IR filter at ISO 800 which is barely adequate for handhelds in bright sunlight and the results seem rather noisy. The 720nm filter is a little better How many stops will I gain by getting the IR block filter out?

Is there a noticeable difference in quality by leaving the anti aliasing filter out? My concern is that the AA filter may have coatings to cut reflection between the lens and sensor.

Has anyone here had the chance to compare the performance of an IR mod K-x to that of an older CCD body?

Last edited by jhaji; 04-10-2013 at 07:57 AM.
04-10-2013, 10:21 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I took apart a DS with a bad mainboard. Pulled the CCD out amongst other things. There was lots of desoldering wires for dissassembly. It would not have been fun putting back together.
04-11-2013, 02:53 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, jk. I'll probably send it out for the mod once I know what to expect performance-wise even though there are step by step tutorials out there.

Did the top filter (anti-aliasing, I believe) seem to have a coating? I believe the lower one is the IR cutoff.
04-11-2013, 05:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jhaji Quote
Thanks, jk. I'll probably send it out for the mod once I know what to expect performance-wise even though there are step by step tutorials out there.

Did the top filter (anti-aliasing, I believe) seem to have a coating? I believe the lower one is the IR cutoff.
I used a DS for awhile for this same purpose, ended up buying a K100d for the same purpose. Essentially the same sensor, same IR sensitivity (that 6mp sensor was great for IR sensitivity, pretty much unrivaled in that respect). The benefit of course being SR, which will give you 2-3 additional stops and bring handheld at lower ISO to realistic levels (assuming you generally shoot around or wider than 50mm).

04-12-2013, 10:07 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums