Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2013, 06:44 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Spike with K-r users too? That also makes sense. K-r's are being sold greatly discounted because the K-30 is now out, also being resold. People are pretty happy with their K-5's though I do see some upgrading but most people that are selling are selling K-x, K-r, K-7's. More of those users who are new and using them vs K-5 people many of which are happy and not buying or may be just adding a K-5II. You see some K-5's. K-5 II and K-30's in the Marketplace but not nearly as many as you do everything else. K-5, K-5II or K-30 those are the newer cams everyone wants to upgrade to. But it's the rest that you see people selling off.

What amazes me is that I still see the *ists, K100-200 series so much on resale. That people are actually trying to sell those kind of surprises me. They're so old that I wouldn't think they would be seen as desirable compared to say a K-30 body. Price-wise I see used K-7's at prices I wouldn't expect given how old they are. People are asking almost the cost of a new K-30 or used K-5. It just makes more sense to buy the K-30 new or a used K-5 really. $450-600 for a used K-7 when you can buy a new K-30 for maybe $650-675 seems off to me. I was thinking about it actually until I realized I was going to be paying nearly as much for a camera that's 4 years old as I would be for the K-30.

Think about it. The K10D is even older, 2006 and yet I rarely see one listed at under $400-500. Why would I want to buy that when I could have a K30 with WR for $650? I'm working on saving for one but by the time I get mine, either a K-30 or a K-5 likely I will be able to pick up up for less than $600 because the new models will be out and those will be hot.

The K-7 is actually more than enough camera for me. I don't do a lot of high iso work so I don't care as much about that. I'm getting a K-30 or a K-5 because buying a K-7 makes less fiscal sense and because honestly I like the K-30 a lot. I might get a K-5 if I can afford one and it's a nice one at a nice price used when I go to shop for one, but I think I'd rather have a K-30 if you get down to it. It's not quite as advanced but really the K-5 is overkill anyway in terms of what I do. I just really need a RW camera and the K-30 covers that, otherwise I'd be shooting just fine with my K-x.

If I could find a K-7 at a reasonable price in good condition given it's age? I might well go there my whole K-30 lust thing notwithstanding but I am not likely to see that. Most people selling them want $400-500 for one and when I look at that vs new or used K-30 the whole K-7 thing just doesn't make sense. If a used K-30 is running $525-550 and I have seen them for that why would I want to pay only $100 less for a camera that's getting up there in terms of it's potential life cycle? It would have to be in the mid $300's for me to even think about it and they usually are not.

Anything before the K-7 and I'm not paying more than $275 maybe. It's just a bit too old capacity-wise compared to even the K-30. Might as well wait till the new K-3 or whatever comes out and grab one of the K-5's or K-30's on clearance or better yet used if I can find a good deal and someone not asking more than they are trying to sell them for on clearance. That cracks me up when I see that. Someone selling their camera for say $600 when you can have a NEW one for that on clearance.

Eh, cameras lately are like cars I think. The moment you drive them off the lot they aren't worth half what you think they are, you know? But people will try anyway, won't they? I like to shop around and I'm not an easy sell. My Dad he goes into a car lot and walks out with some flashy thing every time. Sometimes he gets a good one, sometimes he doesn't, but he doesn't even look at more than one lot or even at more than maybe 3 cars, and he usually pays more as a result. Me, I research, look and leave. I never let myself get too excited even if I love a car. There's always another one out there.

What I want is the car (or camera) that I love at a price I love and you don't always get that by going by what people ask for things. Just because 50 people are asking for this much for something doesn't mean it's the best price out there. It's just what the majority hopes to get. I know a real deal when I see one and I can wait. It's not easy. I am so NOT a patient person by nature but I do until the price is right. I've learned to do that with a lot of things, including my dolls.

Unless they are cheap dolls I don't buy when they're new. I buy used or when they are 2 years old on deep clearance. I've been in love with the K-30 since the first pics. But even so as much as I want one I'm still not sure that will be the WR camera I will end up with. If a K-5 comes my way at a better price? My wallet will likely overrule my sense of aesthetics. Capacity is important but let's face it every camera Pentax has made in the past 5 years has been pretty superb. There aren't too many cameras out there that are less than 5 years old that can't handle portrait work and that's 99% of what I do.

I don't need anything above 1600 iso usually and I rarely shoot at that. I like 200, 400, 800 max most of the time. I don't need video though I am sure whatever camera I get next will have that. Anything K-7 or later would do me. K-5II? It's like I need a Chevy but want a Jag just because I fancy one. Nothing wrong with that my wallet can't as easily handle that dent, lol.

I always find it very funny watching some people on here rush to upgrade to the newest model, at how they complain about the very same camera that less than a year previous was the top model and that everybody was dying to have. Again, it's like cars, computers, phones, all that stuff. Some people always want to buy a new edition right off the lot. I buy used cars, cars that are out of date now and that they are willing to give me a huge discount on. I know better than to buy a new car when it first comes out. It's waste of money. Wait a couple of years and you can have that exact car for half, I mean really, why wouldn't you?

I'm not surprised the K-r and K-7 are getting so much love. They're the less expensive option, can hold their own with the newer cameras in a lot of ways, can do a lot people want, no problem, and people like me who want to save $$$ are going there. If a used K-5 can be had for under $500 and a K5 II costs over $1200 which one are you going to spring for if you are on a budget? I expect when there is a new flagship model and a new entry level model to replace the K-30 we'll see the same thing only it will be them. As good as all of these cameras are it doesn't really matter now that you're using one a generation older and if you can save $$$ why not?

Last edited by magkelly; 04-12-2013 at 07:32 AM.
04-12-2013, 11:23 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JoeMo Quote
I bought a K-7 last month off e-bay and I am loving it. My previous camera was a film-based ZX-M, but all the dials are right where I need them to be and my old lenses still fit, not that they wouldn't a K-5 or whatever. I like 100 ISO, so I don't even know what you guys are talking about when there is mention of higher ISO sensitivity. I know my pics are grainy at 6400 ISO. Are they less grainy on a K-5 at 6400? (That is a sincere question. I really don't know as I don't have a K-5 to compare to.) Personally I would rather spend the upgrade-money on a faster lens and never have to find out. And because it's a Pentax, if I buy a lens that works brilliantly on my K-7, it will also be just as great and functional on a K-3- or whatever they call the next one coming down the pike.
Besides the grain, the K-7 isn't that great at dynamic range at higher ISOs compared to the K-x/K-r sensor or K-5/K-30/K-01 sensor. It's even a bit behind the nearly identical K20D. The smaller dynamic range and extra noise make me really careful about exposure in low light, since there's no adjustment room to change it later. Some decent lenses help keep the ISO in a reasonable range. Good noise reduction software is very useful.

When I look at all my K-7 shots, even if I double the number of shots I've taken at 3200 and 6400 (estimating that if I had 25600 or 51200 I might have used it) it's still 0.03% of all my shots. I am still fine with my plan to keep the K-7 for 5 years, 2 to go.
04-13-2013, 12:26 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Indeed these cameras are a bit like computers. The older ones still work but the new one is always faster. They also depreciate in a similar way. In some cases the only major difference is the sensor.

I do like my K-7, but I would like to one day get the GPS (to use astrotracer) which isn't compatible with K-7, more DR and less noise would be nice to...
04-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JoeMo Quote
I bought a K-7 last month off e-bay and I am loving it. My previous camera was a film-based ZX-M, but all the dials are right where I need them to be and my old lenses still fit, not that they wouldn't a K-5 or whatever. I like 100 ISO, so I don't even know what you guys are talking about when there is mention of higher ISO sensitivity. I know my pics are grainy at 6400 ISO. Are they less grainy on a K-5 at 6400? (That is a sincere question. I really don't know as I don't have a K-5 to compare to.) Personally I would rather spend the upgrade-money on a faster lens and never have to find out. And because it's a Pentax, if I buy a lens that works brilliantly on my K-7, it will also be just as great and functional on a K-3- or whatever they call the next one coming down the pike.
Hi Joe

The K7 can quite easily be adjusted to perform better in high ISO up to about 6400.
See this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/106600-k-7-high-iso-success-4.html (Check ‘Adam‘ and ‘Chipvn‘ advise on digital noise)

The K7 seven suffers from digital noise (in my opinion from ISO800 and up) and I learned from the thread mentioned to avoid it. The idea is to avoid the boosting of synthetic light and add natural light in the EV+/- setting (with the wheel) of an equal app. +4 instead.

An example:

Custom image: Black/White
B&W Filter: Yellow
Toning: Neutral
High/Low Key: -4
Contrast: 0
Cont. Highlight: +1
Cont. Shadow: +3
Sharpness: FS2 +2

Check the thread. It is good. Regards

This is a 3200 ISO sample with settings like those mentioned (EXIF http://www.flickr.com/photos/32108329@N08/8647007933/meta/in/photostream):

Last edited by jt_cph_dk; 04-19-2013 at 11:17 AM. Reason: added image
04-19-2013, 11:33 AM   #20
Site Supporter

..here is a color 3200 ISO..no noise at all (EXIF http://www.flickr.com/photos/32108329@N08/7948472790/meta/in/photostream):