Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2013, 11:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cameras cameras cameras

So I sit out the back of my place with a cold cider and a warm autumn sum slowly dropping as I contemplate the last week of camera research.
I've landed into some money which may be the last chance to upgrade in the near future. So window shopping as been the go.
Now let me start by saying that I have looked at the IIs. It's a fine camera. But coming from the K5 it's just really hard to get excited about it. I don't know why, but it just is.
I looked at the CaNikon options. The Canon range just doesn't do it for me. I know the 5Dmk3 is a great camera, but it just has 'following the heard' written all over it. The D800e really did spark my interest however I'm stuffed if I want to sell a vital organ every time I want a new lens. And where is the fast wide>normal zooms with VR?
The surprise haze been the alpha A99. It has everything I like about my Pentax (weather sealing, in body SR) with that awesome flip screen. It's almost the FF Pentax should make. But im dubious about stepping into a system that really doesn't have the lenses there (tho wide>normal fast zooms they do have).
But it does still ha e it's issues. The new hotshoe is still finding its feet, the lenses aren't there, and accessories are expensive.

Think I might just wait.

04-12-2013, 12:37 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If I were you I'd sit back, have another cold cider, and wait for the Pentax FF
04-12-2013, 12:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lurch Quote
The surprise haze been the alpha A99. It has everything I like about my Pentax (weather sealing, in body SR) with that awesome flip screen. It's almost the FF Pentax should make. But im dubious about stepping into a system that really doesn't have the lenses there (tho wide>normal fast zooms they do have).
The Sony does have the lenses, you just have to spend the money. However, it may not have the complete set you're looking for. But the Zeiss glass is great - for example, the 85, 135, and 16-35 are worth having the system just for them. But each one costs around $2000. I haven't used the 70-200, but it's supposed to be really good too. But there do appear to be a number of gaps in the lineup ...

I think the only Canon to get excited about will be the 7D Mk II (if it ever sees the light of day). Not for everyone, but debatably the best sports camera available.

The K-5 IIs is a worthy upgrade from the K-5, but if it doesn't get you excited then you probably don't need the improvements. Pentax will certainly be releasing at least one new top APS-C this year as well as a FF, and it may be sooner rather than later. I got the K-5 IIs shortly after it was released, knowing this would happen. I wanted to have the improvements for the next 12 months, and it's worked out well. Sometime between the new product releases and the end of the year I'll probably do an upgrade.

But if you don't like what's out right now, save your money and just make sure your lens collection is what you need - whether FF or not. The body's not that important anyway (for most shooting situations any recent body is fine).

Last edited by DSims; 04-12-2013 at 01:02 AM.
04-12-2013, 01:15 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Cameras cameras cameras
Do we all sing this to the tune of Money Money Money by Abba.

That cash is just burning a hole in your pocket, depending how much we're talking about, here's a thought, how about moving up to a 645D or am I just muddying the water further?

04-12-2013, 01:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Do we all sing this to the tune of Money Money Money by Abba.

That cash is just burning a hole in your pocket, depending how much we're talking about, here's a thought, how about moving up to a 645D or am I just muddying the water further?
Hehe. Did you see my other recent thread? The ex-demo ones from CRK are very tempting.
04-12-2013, 01:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
The Sony does have the lenses, you just have to spend the money. However, it may not have the complete set you're looking for. But the Zeiss glass is great - for example, the 85, 135, and 16-35 are worth having the system just for them. But each one costs around $2000. I haven't used the 70-200, but it's supposed to be really good too. But there do appear to be a number of gaps in the lineup ...

I think the only Canon to get excited about will be the 7D Mk II (if it ever sees the light of day). Not for everyone, but debatably the best sports camera available.

The K-5 IIs is a worthy upgrade from the K-5, but if it doesn't get you excited then you probably don't need the improvements. Pentax will certainly be releasing at least one new top APS-C this year as well as a FF, and it may be sooner rather than later. I got the K-5 IIs shortly after it was released, knowing this would happen. I wanted to have the improvements for the next 12 months, and it's worked out well. Sometime between the new product releases and the end of the year I'll probably do an upgrade.

But if you don't like what's out right now, save your money and just make sure your lens collection is what you need - whether FF or not. The body's not that important anyway (for most shooting situations any recent body is fine).
The available sigma and tamron lenses to fill most gaps, but I'm not sure if the quality is there. Tho I live my Sigma EX 20-40.
Perhaps I could find the cash for a CZ. Hmm.
04-12-2013, 02:14 AM   #7

I bought a K-5 II recently... if I scored a PTA (Permit To Acquire) from the Mrs the money would go on more lenses just to extend my focal length range. Not a new body. (Or - potentially, buy some babysitting time with the money.) I certainly find in my own pics and most I see on the internet, artistic judgement is the limiting factor, not technology / resolution.

04-12-2013, 03:13 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
So I sit out the back of my place with a cold cider and a warm autumn sum slowly dropping as I contemplate the last week of camera research.
I've landed into some money which may be the last chance to upgrade in the near future. So window shopping as been the go.
Now let me start by saying that I have looked at the IIs. It's a fine camera. But coming from the K5 it's just really hard to get excited about it. I don't know why, but it just is.
I looked at the CaNikon options. The Canon range just doesn't do it for me. I know the 5Dmk3 is a great camera, but it just has 'following the heard' written all over it. The D800e really did spark my interest however I'm stuffed if I want to sell a vital organ every time I want a new lens. And where is the fast wide>normal zooms with VR?
But it does still ha e it's issues. The new hotshoe is still finding its feet, the lenses aren't there, and accessories are expensive.

Think I might just wait.
When I was young I had a money box, I think from the bank that became Westpac, that had written on it: "save it and you have it, spend it and it's gone". Keep it dry till the right opportunity comes. You already have a K5, so you are doing OK.
04-12-2013, 04:50 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
When I was young I had a money box, I think from the bank that became Westpac, that had written on it: "save it and you have it, spend it and it's gone". Keep it dry till the right opportunity comes. You already have a K5, so you are doing OK.
LOL - you must be old. My bank freebees always had written on them "Call now- you have been pre-approved for a $10,000 credit card!"

But yes I agree - if you absolutely can't do it with a K5+kit, either you are choosing a very particular specialty, or you're wrong.
04-12-2013, 05:25 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've concluded I'll wait for the K-5II follow-up, preferably an -s version. I think you have to ask what you're getting for the money and whether it's a big enough jump.
04-12-2013, 07:21 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have cash waiting for a Pentax K-3s 24mp APS-C. Canikon APS-C holds no interest. I looked at the low end FF's but I don't want a larger camera and I don't want to start collecting lenses for another system, when my Pentax lineup is functionally complete.

I would like a FF body, but I will remain with APS-C for long tele (a large percentage of my shooting). The FF that would make the most sense for me would be a smallish MILC, that will mount my K lenses with full functionality. That role is currently filled by a K-01, so I'm in no rush.
04-12-2013, 11:37 AM   #12
Veteran Member

While you are thinking hardware, I'd also suggest thinking about software too.

If you don't already have good RAW processors like Lightroom or DxO Optics Pro or Capture One at hand, or some of the cool and/or useful plug-ins/add ons like some of the Topaz tools, I'd suggest perhaps spending a bit of your idle $ on those. All of the above may add some extra ooomph to the capabilities of your existing bodies and lenses to tide you over until you are ready for a big hardware spend.

DxO is particularly good, for example, at breathing new life into the output of one's existing lenses, if you are feeling some CZ envy.
04-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Don't forget that if you go the a99 route then there is a multitude of great, inexpensive Minolta glass to be had.
04-13-2013, 05:07 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
Don't forget that if you go the a99 route then there is a multitude of great, inexpensive Minolta glass to be had.
Yeah, but I've had a few people tell me the Mino glass wasn't that good?
04-14-2013, 12:10 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Yeah, but I've had a few people tell me the Mino glass wasn't that good?

Smoke signals.
Just like Pentax lenses, some models are crap, and some are fantastic. On the other hand, if you are a bit light in the wallet after buying an a99, you can pick up an old Minolta 50mm f/1.7 for around $70 (US). Good luck pulling that off with Pentax glass. The number one thing to be mindful of is older sigma lenses, which sometimes don't play well with the SLT bodies.