03-06-2008, 09:14 AM   #16
dbh
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I'm wondering whether there is an advantage to
a) going from PEF ->(Pentax Browser)-> DNG
over
b) DNG in the camera.

In either case I'd compress those DNGs for use and archive the original files. The PPB route is an extra step and leaves a huge DNG intermediate file to delete afterwards, but it lets me archive smaller PEF originals. Worth the effort if I get DNG files without the math error.

Have to try it and see I suppose.

Another thought, could you correct the math error with an exiftool script?
--
dbh

03-06-2008, 09:32 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dbh Quote
I'm wondering whether there is an advantage to
a) going from PEF ->(Pentax Browser)-> DNG
over
b) DNG in the camera.
Well, in the past, on my K10D, I shot PEF in the camera because the files were much smaller, so I could get more on a card. At least I think I could. The files are certainly smaller but there's something funny about the way the K10D counts shots remaining and now that I think of it, I never actually tested to see if I really WAS getting more shots on the card by shooting PEF. Anyway, I'd copy the PEFs from the card to my computer, open 'em in Lightroom, and convert 'em to DNG, which made them even smaller.

Right now, given that Lightroom apparently can't read K20D PEF files, it seems I have two choices: (1) If I want to shoot PEF, I will have to use Pentax Photo Lab to open the files, and if I don't want to edit them there, I'll have to convert them. (2) Shoot DNG, which produces huge files, but use Adobe DNG Converter to convert them to compressed DNG files which cuts their size in half. That's what I'm doing.

When Adobe Lightroom supports K20D PEF, I might go back to my earlier approach of shooting PEF.

Will
03-06-2008, 11:07 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Anyone use Pentax Photo Lab... With the new K20D and Photo Lab V3.5 (included) you can convert both the PEF's and DNG.
I always have used photo Lab for my RAW converter. ACDsee Pro2 to view/database, PhotoShot to final edit.
Seams like everyone is complaining about the lack of new K20D support in every other program but they haven't tried the Pentax one.
Sure its not as fancy looking but I find it does as good a job (with the K10D) as ACR or ACDsee Pro
03-07-2008, 01:39 AM   #19
dbh
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
. . .
Right now, given that Lightroom apparently can't read K20D PEF files, it seems I have two choices: (1) If I want to shoot PEF, I will have to use Pentax Photo Lab to open the files, and if I don't want to edit them there, I'll have to convert them. (2) Shoot DNG, which produces huge files, but use Adobe DNG Converter to convert them to compressed DNG files which cuts their size in half. That's what I'm doing.

When Adobe Lightroom supports K20D PEF, I might go back to my earlier approach of shooting PEF.

Will
Well I came to the same plan myself. I tested both workflows and while the numbers were different, both provided essentially the same pictures. So to save some steps I've switched the camera format to DNG.

I learned two more things tonight. The camera's operating manual's front cover works as a nice handy WB eyedropper target. And the AF adjustment feature has sharpened up my DA*50-135 rather dramatically. Looks like I'll be spending some time tweaking it for my other lenses someday.
--
dbh