Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2008, 05:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
what file format for new K20D?

K20D arrived a couple hours ago and I finally got a minute to take it out of the box. Have taken just a few photos--just test shots. I initially selected raw/PEF, which is what I have been using on my K10D. I have viewed the shots in Light Crafts LightZone and also in Picasa. There's something wrong with them, a couple things, actually. The colors are badly off. Red tulips are blue, and my blue sofa came out kind of burnt orange. There's also some kind of a solid pinkish line along the side of the photo. See the attached photo (which has been slightly cropped in Picasa but otherwise has not been altered).

I am guessing that the problem is that the programs I'm using (LightZone and Picasa) don't actually know what to do with the PEF file generated from the K20D. Is that a good guess?

I did take a couple shots, converting to jpeg in the camera. In those shots the colors are okay and I don't see the lines. But I want to shoot raw.

So what should I do? I have read that there are problems with the K20D's DNG files, although I have not tried them yet. Should I shoot DNG?

Will

03-05-2008, 05:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

wasn't there a post about math errors between Adobe and Pentax with the raw files? Maybe this is related?

Did you try DNG? I never shot PEF with my K10d...just DNG and used Aperture for capture.
03-05-2008, 05:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Other people have been complaining as well. It is typical with new camera models that things don't quite work until updates have been made in the software for the new camera files. You may have to use the Pentax software to do your RAW conversions until the software makes updates.
03-05-2008, 05:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

no problems using DNG from the k20

03-05-2008, 07:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, DNG seems to work okay. But man, those are some HUGE files!! 23 MB per shot.

Does anybody know if there's a utility available that will convert uncompressed DNG files to compressed DNG files?

Will
03-05-2008, 07:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Anybody got a suggestion re 4 GB or 8 GB cards that will work in the K20D? I just looked at Amazon.com and there don't seem to be as many choices at that capacity as there are at 2 GB. Would this 4 GB Kingston card, for example, be a good one for the K20D?

Will

Addendum: Sorry, I should have posted this question in the accessories forum and have now done so. If you have an answer to this question, please go here. Thanks!

Last edited by WMBP; 03-05-2008 at 07:51 PM.
03-05-2008, 07:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I just ordered these Sandisk cards from Adorama. They are rated as class 6 (minimum of 6mb/s), but their actual rating is 20mb/s. Normal price is $79.00 US, but sandisk has a $40.00 US rebate on them so the final price is $39.00 US.

Those Kingston card are class 4 cards, so they do at least 4mb/s, but less than 6mb/s.

As for the OP, I shoot PEF, then convert to DNG using Pentax Photo Lab. This results in 30MB sized DNGs +/-!!! Then I use Adobe DNG converter to compress the 30MB DNGs to around 12 MB.

Last edited by HawaiianOnline; 03-05-2008 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Did not want to double post
03-05-2008, 07:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HawaiianOnline Quote
I just ordered these Sandisk cards from Adorama. They are rated as class 6 (minimum of 6mb/s), but their actual rating is 20mb/s. Normal price is $79.00 US, but sandisk has a $40.00 US rebate on them so the final price is $39.00 US.

Those Kingston card are class 4 cards, so they do at least 4mb/s, but less than 6mb/s.
Thanks, I'll look at the SanDisk cards you suggest.

QuoteQuote:
As for the OP, I shoot PEF, then convert to DNG using Pentax Photo Lab. This results in 30MB sized DNGs +/-!!! Then I use Adobe DNG converter to compress the 30MB DNGs to around 12 MB.
Where does one get DNG Converter? I've looked around on Adobe's site and can't find it.

Will
03-05-2008, 08:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Thanks, I'll look at the SanDisk cards you suggest.

Where does one get DNG Converter? I've looked around on Adobe's site and can't find it.

Will
Windows Version

Mac version

Each download should contain both the camera raw plugin and the converter.
03-05-2008, 08:14 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, Hawaiian. I'd found that page but didn't understand it. I took your link as a confirmation and studied it more closely. For reasons not clear to me, they put the DNG Converter--what I want--with the ACR updater, which I don't think I need. Anyway, here's the page from which I did the download and I've got it installed now. ABout to try converting some files!

Thanks,

Will
03-05-2008, 08:40 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmmm. I'm not sure the DNG option is working after all. See the enclosed shot. I've cropped off the left half of the shot to emphasize the problem: the odd lines and the purple stripe on the far right side of the image. What the heck is THAT about?

Perhaps I'm still doing something wrong, but I can't think what it would be.

Will
Attached Images

03-05-2008, 08:44 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Will, that is just not right. Mine isn't doing anything like that. I can't think of anything you might be doing wrong so I have no idea how to fix it. I hope someone is able to share something helpful.

I am shooting in DNG and then compressing it by running it though the Adobe DNG converter. I check the files in Bridge, rename them and import them into Aperture. All these apps are reading them fine for me.
03-05-2008, 09:05 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
Will, that is just not right. Mine isn't doing anything like that. I can't think of anything you might be doing wrong so I have no idea how to fix it. I hope someone is able to share something helpful.

I am shooting in DNG and then compressing it by running it though the Adobe DNG converter. I check the files in Bridge, rename them and import them into Aperture. All these apps are reading them fine for me.
Dave,

Thanks for sharing your experience. It prompted me to think harder. I've only been opening the files so far in either Picasa or LightZone. Picasa is not a good choice; its support for any raw file format is limited. But LightZone's not such a great choice either.

So I finally opened the files in Adobe Lightroom. And they look fine. See enclosed shot. So for the moment, I am hoping everything actually is okay--although it looks like I won't be editing any files in LightZone any time soon.

Will
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
03-05-2008, 09:12 PM   #14
Veteran Member

no problems whatsoever developing through LR .
03-05-2008, 09:25 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Hmmm. I'm not sure the DNG option is working after all. See the enclosed shot. I've cropped off the left half of the shot to emphasize the problem: the odd lines and the purple stripe on the far right side of the image. What the heck is THAT about?

Perhaps I'm still doing something wrong, but I can't think what it would be.

Will
Wow, that's weird. I am using PSCS3 for editing and Bridge for management. The compressed DNGs work fine on my mac.