Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2008, 07:32 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
battery problems

i am having problems with the power of my k100d.....it seems that i can only get around 200 shots w/o flash and 150 w/flash for a fully charged batteries.....i have tried all type of nimh batteries out there and it seems that i still have problems with it...can anyone help me with it.
also the k100d has no metering in the viewfinder is there a way i can remedy this one...thanks

03-05-2008, 08:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try Sanyo Eneloops, they are MUCH better than most rechargeables
03-05-2008, 08:38 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Smart Charger

I had this problem when I first got the K100D, only worse. A freshly charged set of Kodaks lasted for only 5 shots. A brand new set of Energizer rechargeables showed dead before a single shot was taken. The solution was a smart charger - LaCrosse BC-900. It makes both brands work OK. I did get a set of Sanyo Eneloops, and they are the best - I've got more on order.

Cheers, Alan
03-05-2008, 09:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

How long do you go between charging your batteries and using your camera? According to CIPA data, the K100d should get at most 300 shots on a fully charged set of typical NiMHs. The big problem with NiMH batteries is their fast (bad) self-discharge characteristics. Within the first day, self-discharge drops peak capacity from 100% to between 80 and 85%, and slows down after that. That means if the camera sits for a day or two, your number of pictures drops to around 240 or so. The self discharge also significantly increases with temperature. (For every increase of 10deg. C above 20C, self-discharge rate will approximately double.) With my last camera, I had rechargeable NiMH AA's. I would charge them up, and leave the camera in the bag. I would then go to use the camera days later, and the batteries would be dead or at least significantly discharged. I would miss shots of the kids doing something because my NiMH were discharged and I couldn't ask the kids to hold that pose for 30 min, while I charged the batteries. I found myself having to constantly tend the batteries on a bi-weekly basis to make sure they were topped off.

Basically to get full use out of the NiMH batteries, you have to charge them soon before you use them. For most casual photographers, that is an extreme annoyance, and if you need a quick shot you will miss it.

Here is the strategy that I use. I have a k10d that has rechargeable Lithium-Ion, so the camera battery is not an issue. I do have 4 AA's in my FGZ 360 though, and use this strategy now for it:

- Buy a set of disposable Energizer AA Lithium batteries, and keep them in your camera. They will not self discharge, and they will last (if unused) to 90% capacity for 15 years. This way your camera will always be ready at a moments notice. The Lithium can also withstand temperature extremes (-40F to 140F. we use them in high-alt balloons where the temp of the battery can go down to -40F) They will also allow you to take hundreds of pictures if you so desire. As a side bonus, they are remarkably light compared to NiMH or alkaline.
- If you know you are going out for a day of shooting before hand, charge up your NiMH's and take out the lithiums and store them in your bag. When you are done, switch back and store the camera.

You can use this strategy with alkalines as well, but they will not last as long, although they are less expensive. The Enloop NiMH have a much better self discharge, but at the expense of lower capacity, slower charging, and higher cost than typical consumer NiMH cells. They are very promising however. In any case, keep a pack of the Energizer AA lithiums in your bag. They will last there for 15 years, and are good insurance if you ever run down your pack, and don't have time (or are not in a place) to charge.

Last edited by PentaxPoke; 03-05-2008 at 10:41 PM.
03-05-2008, 11:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is where the Eneloops, and also the Ray O Vac hybrids come in, they retain their charge MUCH longer than normal rechargeables. I have a set of the Ray O Vacs in my K110D that have been in there for several months. I shot about 60 pics last night after shoveling the snow off of the driveway, and they STILL show full charge.
03-06-2008, 12:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
That is where the Eneloops, and also the Ray O Vac hybrids come in, they retain their charge MUCH longer than normal rechargeables. I have a set of the Ray O Vacs in my K110D that have been in there for several months. I shot about 60 pics last night after shoveling the snow off of the driveway, and they STILL show full charge.
Yes, the latest NiMH technology shows alot of promise. The only problem is that they have about 30% less peak capacity than conventional NiMH, also the manufacturers strongly recommend against fast charging them. At the manufacturers recommended charging rate, they are peaked in approximately 2.5 hours, compared to 1 hour for conventional NiMH. If I didn't have so many conventional NiMH batteries, I would buy a set of Eneloops, and still throw a pack of e2 lithiums in my bag for a backup since I can count on those being fresh for 15 years.