Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2013, 03:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My Camera is still broken

This is mostly a grumble because I was really looking forward to going out with my K-5 this weekend and now I can't.

My K5 has been underexposing in Av mode by 2 stops for as long as I remember, never really bothered me because it forced me to use manual mode more and I could always bump the 2 stops in lightroom if I needed Av mode.

Anyway a few weeks ago my not quite two yr old son ninja'd his way into my bedroom where my K-5 was on the bed and threw it on the ground breaking the thread where the bottom mounting screw fixed to. I put the mount back together but it was not quite right.

So I sent it to CR Kennedy (the Aus importer) for repair, telling them of the mount. When they emailed me with the quote for beginning I told them that I thought there was an issue maybe with the light meter or something akin to that because Av mode underexposed by 2 stops and has done since before the camera being thrown(possibly others but I never use them) so could they check it out while they were fixing it. The CR guy informed me there was nothing they could do until the mount was fixed so I gave the go ahead and asked if they could check the Av mode issue after it was done. Got the invoice, paid it and it arrived today.....

Guess where its going tomorrow, yep, right back again. Mount is good, light meter not so much. Av mode is stuck at 1/8000 shutter speed even at f1.8 and iso 12800. All the modes including green mode take a nice black photo. Surely they put a lens on the camera and took a test shot, surely, because they updated the firmware. Maybe something come loose in the post.

And now I will miss another weekend of shooting. Well, I'll be shooting film but that's not the point, I am still sad.

04-15-2013, 03:38 AM   #2
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
This is an ideal opportunity to have to purchase a K-5 IIs as a back body for just such occasions, no one could argue against that.
04-15-2013, 03:50 AM   #3
wjt
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Haha, im actually waiting to see the outcome of the FF saga from Pentax before I buy anything else.

Ive used that logic before, finance minister added the war ministry to her portfolio a few months later when she realised... I figured being as the K7 and K5 looked the same she would never know
04-15-2013, 03:56 AM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by wjt Quote
she would never know
So it was a "fit up" then.

Who did you tell?

04-15-2013, 06:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

wjt... I'm a little confused. If the aperture is wide-open and the ISO is jacked up, why wouldn't it opt for the fastest shutter speed?
04-15-2013, 06:43 AM   #6

Sell the son.

Blood be damned. Nobody breaks my toys.
04-15-2013, 06:56 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Haha, im actually waiting to see the outcome of the FF saga from Pentax before I buy anything else.

Ive used that logic before, finance minister added the war ministry to her portfolio a few months later when she realised... I figured being as the K7 and K5 looked the same she would never know
I have to remember that one. I have been dealing with the Chancellor of the Exchequer, who is now assuming the Office of the Obscure.

04-15-2013, 07:16 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Separate PP account. Also, Ministers come and go, but those of us in the trenches remain.

04-15-2013, 07:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The CR guy informed me there was nothing they could do until the mount was fixed so I gave the go ahead and asked if they could check the Av mode issue after it was done. Got the invoice, paid it and it arrived today.....
How much did that cost?
Usually, repairs to electronics nowadays aren't worth it given how fast stuff gets outdated
04-16-2013, 04:03 AM   #10
wjt
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It only cost $160 all up including shipping back to WA. Quite reasonable for the mount repair, which I was slightly sad about to be honest. I was kinda hoping it was a write off so I could get a new one.
04-17-2013, 12:37 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Here's something to check. I had a similar problem this morning. I found my exposure compensation all the way down at -5. This meant the camera was trying to do fastest shutter speed at highest ISO.......

Once I reset it to 0 I was fine. I had been taking pictures of the moon with a 500mm lens and had to cut down the exposure to get the detail on the surface.
04-17-2013, 08:37 AM   #12
Veteran Member

It only cost $160 all up including shipping back to WA. Quite reasonable for the mount repair, which I was slightly sad about to be honest. I was kinda hoping it was a write off so I could get a new one.
Not bad at all.
Canon users who have had that happen get charged $400