Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2008, 05:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Battery charger and voltage converters

I have a K10D

I'm going to London in about a week and I went into Best Buy to get a voltage converter and plug adaptor so I can recharge my camera battery. I was in a hurry to after telling the person there what was needed and for what, she handed me something and I paid and left. When I got home I saw it was a voltage converter kit for "heat-producing appliances" such as hair dryers, irons, curling irons etc. It says it powers heat-producing appliances rated 500-1600 watts.

I can't find any information on the battery charger or in the manual to tell me the wattage of the charger and have no way to test if this will work still being in the US and all. I don't want to get over there and find I can't charge my battery (mini death-sentence).

Does anyone have experience in this area and can tell me if this contraption should work or not?
Incidently I'd also like to be able to charge my ipod as well (using a wall plug that a usb cable plugs into).

Thanks in advance.
mel

03-06-2008, 06:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The battery charger for the K10D is dual voltage and has a built in transformer.It accepts power from 110 all the way to 240. (It has this information printed on the charger or in the manual). This means, you do NOT need an additional voltage converter, simply a plug adapter from a USA/Canada style to an UK plug...this can be bought at Radio Shack or at most airport gift shops in the travel section. I wouldn't expect to pay more then 5-10 dollars for the adapter.

Jason

EDIT: Ipod is the same, accepts 110/240 voltage

Last edited by Jasvox; 03-06-2008 at 06:25 AM. Reason: my spelling blows.
03-06-2008, 06:43 AM   #3
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh thank you so much. I really appreciate it. Now I see on the charger where that information is. I'm not too knowledgable on voltage/wattage things so I didn't know what I was looking at or what it meant. Now you point it out I get it.

Thanks again!
mel
03-06-2008, 07:02 AM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
Oh thank you so much. I really appreciate it. Now I see on the charger where that information is. I'm not too knowledgable on voltage/wattage things so I didn't know what I was looking at or what it meant. Now you point it out I get it.

Thanks again!
mel
I guess you can take your hairdryer with you then

03-06-2008, 07:16 AM   #5
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alib99 Quote
I guess you can take your hairdryer with you then

I think the rooms have dryers. It'll just curl and frizz over there anyway.

But who cares about hair. All that matters is that I have a fully charged battery to start off each day!! Priorities you know.
03-06-2008, 07:18 AM   #6
Forum Member

But who cares about hair. All that matters is that I have a fully charged battery to start off each day!! Priorities you know.
I guess it was just a joke
03-06-2008, 07:22 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Many small appliances (razors, latops) and battery chargers (like cell phone & camera chargers) are dual voltage and will work equally well in north america and europe. You just have to check the small print on the wall-wart to make sure they do not need a voltage converter.

For those appliances you just have to make sure you have the proper plug adapter (we have small bladed plugs in north america, they use a huge 3 pronged plugs in the UK).

Pat
03-06-2008, 07:31 AM   #8
Ole
Administrator

I have a K10D

I'm going to London in about a week and I went into Best Buy to get a voltage converter and plug adaptor so I can recharge my camera battery. I was in a hurry to after telling the person there what was needed and for what, she handed me something and I paid and left. When I got home I saw it was a voltage converter kit for "heat-producing appliances" such as hair dryers, irons, curling irons etc. It says it powers heat-producing appliances rated 500-1600 watts.

I can't find any information on the battery charger or in the manual to tell me the wattage of the charger and have no way to test if this will work still being in the US and all. I don't want to get over there and find I can't charge my battery (mini death-sentence).

Does anyone have experience in this area and can tell me if this contraption should work or not?
Incidently I'd also like to be able to charge my ipod as well (using a wall plug that a usb cable plugs into).

Thanks in advance.
mel
Never use the 'hair dryer' converter with electronic equipment! There is probably a warning on the box to that effect, at least there should be. The output current is not regulated and is nowhere near that perfect sine curve of AC current. Hairdryers don't care, electronics do.

As others have said, your charger can handle the 240V; all you need is the plug adapter.

03-06-2008, 09:21 AM   #9
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alib99 Quote
I guess it was just a joke
yeah i got it. i was joking back. sorry for the misunderstanding.
03-06-2008, 09:26 AM   #10
Pentaxian

You will when any one makes fun of yoour hair in the photos, now that you can charge your camera batteries
03-06-2008, 09:29 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Never use the 'hair dryer' converter with electronic equipment! There is probably a warning on the box to that effect, at least there should be. The output current is not regulated and is nowhere near that perfect sine curve of AC current. Hairdryers don't care, electronics do.

As others have said, your charger can handle the 240V; all you need is the plug adapter.
No converter is current regulated, I suspect you really mean voltage regulated, and filtered, but in many instances, these big power units are nothing more than a transformer. If they are anything else, such as a switching converter, the brushes in the appliances will die very quickly.

You should also note that even now, unless you really need high power like a hair dryer, that even the simplest battery chargers are cheaper to build with electronic converters, and are all dual voltage. Even my 4X AA cell charger is dual voltage, so all I need is the plug converter. Same goes with the chargers for my PDA, Photo Bank, all cameras VCR's etc.
03-06-2008, 09:46 AM   #12
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
You will when any one makes fun of yoour hair in the photos, now that you can charge your camera batteries
ahhh yes but i'll be the one BEHIND the camera not in front! lol

Thanks a bunch everyone. You guys are all a wealth of useful information. This contraption is going back to Best Buy and I have to say I am a tad annoyed that the electronics sales person doesn't really know anything about electronics (I did tell her batteries and ipod, NOT hair dryer and curling iron).

I learned my lesson. Ask here first.

Thanks again,
mel
03-06-2008, 10:30 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This is a general problem for a traveller.
Since your battery charge uses a switched mode power supply, it can adapt to a very wide range of voltage and net frequency.
What is left, is getting the damned thing plugged in a wall socket.

For that you can go to this link: Electricity Around the World
It shows the plugs used around the world.
I've used this as a reference a lot, since we do a lot of travelling.

Get yourself an adapter on the airport. Do not buy the mutlimode adaptors, too expensive and crap. A simple US to UK plug adapter is much better.
Also take a distribution cord with you. So you can charge more than 1 device the same time.

Cheers, Bert