Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2013, 02:35 PM   #1
Forum Member

Calibration?

Not sure if it's a lens thing or a camera thing, but recently my photos with the 18-55mm kit (non WR) are starting to not turn out as good. Florence Italy produced some amazing shots! Now here in the Austrian mountains, same kind of sunny blue sky day, but the photos are horribly exposed, slightly blurry, and the color is dreadful.

Same settings too! P mode, full-frame metering, low ISO, etc. I popped on my 55mm prime and the short-range photos of a fountain and they turned out perfect! Also, shooting some flowers with the kit, turned out very nice as well. I think the slight blur seems to happen across most of the focal lengths when the focus reaches infinity.

Maybe its my madness methods, but are there some tips to make photos more consistent across many different forms of lighting?

I think my eye is correcting some things the camera cannot, but this is getting to the point where I need to figure out what I'm not doing right.

04-16-2013, 02:38 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chattphotos Quote
Not sure if it's a lens thing or a camera thing, but recently my photos with the 18-55mm kit (non WR) are starting to not turn out as good. Florence Italy produced some amazing shots! Now here in the Austrian mountains, same kind of sunny blue sky day, but the photos are horribly exposed, slightly blurry, and the color is dreadful.

Same settings too! P mode, full-frame metering, low ISO, etc. I popped on my 55mm prime and the short-range photos of a fountain and they turned out perfect! Also, shooting some flowers with the kit, turned out very nice as well. I think the slight blur seems to happen across most of the focal lengths when the focus reaches infinity.

Maybe its my madness methods, but are there some tips to make photos more consistent across many different forms of lighting?

I think my eye is correcting some things the camera cannot, but this is getting to the point where I need to figure out what I'm not doing right.
Post some samples with EXIF intact and we'll take a look!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-20-2013, 05:45 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Delayed

Sorry for the delay, but in some research, it actually may be the compression of the 100% preview generated by Adobe Bridge CS6... but I can't confirm that yet until I see if there is anything up with the lens.

Attached are two images that look bad in Bridge and iffy in Photoshop.

For location, I'm standing in Germany and across the lake is Austria (to the left) and Switzerland is in the middle.
Attached Images

06-20-2013, 06:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What camera are we talking about?

06-21-2013, 02:24 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
The K-7
06-21-2013, 05:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Looks like atmospheric haze to me, what was the humidity when the shots were taken?
06-21-2013, 06:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Looks like haze to me. One PP fix is Unsharp Mask with a large radius (try 40) and adjust the amount to suit.