Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2013, 03:40 PM   #1

Photographing Artwork

For some time I have been photographing paintings with a K100D and the 40mm limited. The results in a well lighted studio have been quite good; however, I am wondering whether the K-5IIs would make a great difference. While I realize all the obvious advances in the different generations of the K series, my question is whether for a very specific application in a controlled environment — oil paintings in this case — the differences would be all that great. I would very much appreciate your advice and recommendations.

04-16-2013, 04:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
put simply, yes. You'd get more resolution for more detail, more dynamic range which should show off the subtle changes in tone better, more color depth which just gives you better detail between color variations.
04-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You should see a substantial improvement with the K-5IIs.
04-16-2013, 05:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not to mention you can fine tune the sensor position in the K5IIs. That would allow you to frame your subject more accurately than bumping the tripod.

04-16-2013, 05:08 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It depends on what the final use of the images is. For web posting you're not likely to see a difference. For large reproduction, the K-5's extra resolution might help.
04-16-2013, 06:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I would combine the responses from 'bkpix' and 'adpo'. They both sum it up, you will see an advantage, but would not notice for web posting.
04-16-2013, 07:44 PM   #7
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I do a lot of photo's of paintings--mostly acrylic--and most were with slide (iso 64 tungsten)--and except for essentially negligible resolution difference you will ses no benefit.

Simply put--frontal lighting on essentially a two dimensional surface will give you a dynamic range of about 5-6 stops--if you have the blackest black (2-4%) to white (100%). While the 3-d surface of the painting will increase it--the contrast and "snap" will likely be better if the dynamic range is not much more.

If you don't now do it--placing polarizing filters on the lights, and polarizing filter on the lens will give you a big boost in quality. Adjust the PL on the lens to the desired contrast. Edmond's scientific sells the sheets--I use linear PL sheets and linear PL filter.