Photos: Gallery
Focusing Screen

You will however lose spot metering...

04-19-2013, 09:07 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Martowski Quote
The one on the MX is an Asahi SMC Pentax 1:2.8 24mm.
Oh, 52mm filter size like the 135. Thanks, never would have guessed that one.

The MX doesn't just have a split prism, the viewfinder is huge. Some say that lesser cameras like the ME are the same but they are not. The rest of the cameras used ordinary silver to coat their pentaprisms (less than $24 an ounce today). The MX and LX have prisms coated in platinum ($1400 more an ounce than silver).
04-20-2013, 05:51 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Martowski Quote
I wish the K-r had a manual focus option like the MX's viewfinder, with the two half circles that align when focused. I love that option on the MX, which I do not believe was present on the K 1000 (which was the "standard issue" camera that the other photo students in the class used).
Having never used a MX (I had a Super Program), I don't know if its focusing screen pattern is available, but there are numerous 3rd party replacement screen designs available. Search threads in the Forum for focusing screens and you will get lots of opinions about the pros & cons of various alternatives.
04-20-2013, 12:13 PM   #19

Original Poster
Hmmm... all I know is that on both of my father's MX bodies, any lens I put on has a circle in the middle with two halves that line up when the center is in focus.

04-20-2013, 02:13 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The default screen on the MX was split iage in the centre, with a microprism ring and plain grund glass around. It worked well for lenses between f2 and about f4. (I never had a lens faster than the 50/2.)

But Pentax made a range of about 8 or 10 other screens as accessories. These were easy to change and did not have any fuss like shims because they made it as a system to work together. My favourite was the grond glass with 6mm grid.