Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2013, 04:33 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K-x and wireless flash triggers

A couple of questions for K-x users. I want to upgrade my old flash (Sigma EF 500 DG Super) and get some wireless flash triggers also. My current flash will not do High-Speed sync. Will the new Sigma EF-630 DG Super do HSS with the K-x? Also what brand of wireless triggers have you found to work? I have been leaning towards the Cowboy Studio units, but if anyone actually has a set-up that works well with the K-x, I would like to hear your experiences. Thanks!

04-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've got a set of the Cowboy Studio triggers (NPT-04) and they've worked fine for me, but I can't say I'm a demanding user. For example, I don't think I've ever triggered them at a distance greater than 15-20 feet; I've also stuck with shutter speeds at 1/160 or lower. That's using a K2000, K-x, and K-30. As for the flash, I have the older model Sigma (EF-530 DG Super) and it'll do HSS with the K-x (and the K2000); haven't tested it with the K-30. It's not a feature I use, though, so I couldn't really say how well it works.
04-17-2013, 05:34 PM   #3
Site Supporter

For wireless I have a set of Cactus v5's that have worked flawlessly on both k-x and k-5. No experience with HSS though. I don't think you can do HSS with any wireless RF trigger system, at least with Pentax.
04-17-2013, 05:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Another vote for the Cowboy Studios NP-04's - $28 for a transmitter and 2 receivers is incredibly inexpensive and they have worked flawlessly for me up to 40ft (haven't tried further).

04-17-2013, 05:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
For wireless I have a set of Cactus v5's that have worked flawlessly on both k-x and k-5. No experience with HSS though. I don't think you can do HSS with any wireless RF trigger system, at least with Pentax.
I second everything Jatrax said. I own two sets of cactus V5 and they work great with my K-5 and K-x, haven't tried them with my brand new K-01 but I doubt there will be any problems. Have not tried HSS either.
Here is a link, it is cheaper to buy them in pairs, $80 for two vs $50 for a single one.

Cactus Wireless Flash Transceiver V5 Duo DICFLAWFTV5D
04-17-2013, 07:20 PM   #6

Original Poster
The reason I asked about the HSS was because I used to use it a lot with my old K100D and the kit 50-200mm lens. I have since got a 50mm 1.7 lens so I don't use the flash as much any more. I was bummed out that my Sigma EF-500 DG Super wouldn't do HSS with my K-x. I would not expect the wireless triggers do offer HSS. I would be more interested in the range of the units and being able to shoot at 1/160. Thanks for the replies!
04-18-2013, 07:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I got this PT-04NE set for $28 Camera New PT 04NE 4 Channels Wireless Radio Flash Trigger Set with 3 Receivers | eBay, was free shipping but now they charge $2. I think they are the same as Cowboy Studio NPT-04, but these receivers each has umbrella holder on the side.
04-18-2013, 07:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ken T Quote
I got this PT-04NE set for $28 Camera New PT 04NE 4 Channels Wireless Radio Flash Trigger Set with 3 Receivers | eBay, was free shipping but now they charge $2. I think they are the same as Cowboy Studio NPT-04, but these receivers each has umbrella holder on the side.
Those look to be a better deal. They appear to be the NP-04's but with the added holder. Nice set and they cost about what I paid for my 3 without the holders added.

04-18-2013, 05:33 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ken T Quote
I checked them out. Is anyone using these with a Sigma EF-630 DG Super? That flash is not on the compatability list. I was thinking they would work since the EF-500 DG on the list.

Has anyone checked to see what the maximum range is of these or the the Cactus V5's?
11-26-2013, 04:02 AM   #10

I have a question on this subject. The Cawboy NPT-04, can be used in Pentax K-r? What type of cable comes with the set and how to connect the machine body? You need to buy an extra shoe for cable connection? What would be the proper type of shoe?
I appreciate any help,
Thank you,
Paolillo