Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2013, 09:23 PM - 2 Likes   #1

Photos: Albums
my sister in law and her canon rebel T4i

so the other day i was at my sister in laws home and i wouldnt say we were "comparing cameras." mine being a k5 silver edition. but when she saw it, her words: "ooooh i like that!" my words "i love it!" she has an amateur photo studio and shoots portraits for free for friends and co workers. its her way of escape from her wild ass kids lol. i was showing her some of my lenses that i enjoy my 40mm pancake lens, 18-135 wr walk around lens, and my asahi 50mm 1:1.7 then i told her i have 12 other lenses for various kinds of shooting. while she only has her kit lens and a canon ef 85mm f/1.8 which is a fantastic lens. but she loved my asahi lens especially after i told her i paid 60 bucks for on ebay compared to her 85mm she bought on some where else for over $400. then i told her the history of the k-mount. how i can choose lenses that mount right my body with out adapters that were made before we were born, and some are crap but others are amazing like my 50mm lens and some are great priced. she was really impressed with everything. after looking at her canon and looking at my k5 it looked like she was about to throw up. then i took her to the pentax website to show her other cameras they make and she fell in love with the k30 and the color options. she asked me if she can use my k5 and my lenses i shown her for a photo shoot she had the next day. later that night she text me and said she used both cameras comparing the two and she fell in love with everything about my k5 and the 3 lenses. she sold her canon to a co worker and used the money and ordered a crystal blue k30 18-135mm wr lens bundle.
pentax should send me a check

04-17-2013, 09:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by josh_smith77073 Quote
after looking at her canon and looking at my k5 it looked like she was about to throw up.
That was my favorite line.

Nice job helping her onto the Pentax bandwagon, I hope her new K-30 doesn't disappoint and she enjoys the Pentax experience.
You must have really had her convinced to make her drop her Canon kit so quickly!
04-17-2013, 10:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

She might miss her 85. Pentax doesn't have anything like it in that price range. Legacy glass and focus peaking can solve that if she doesn't mind mf.
04-17-2013, 11:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
She might miss her 85. Pentax doesn't have anything like it in that price range. Legacy glass and focus peaking can solve that if she doesn't mind mf.
Unless she uses wider apertures a lot show her an A or M 100/2.8 and she won't miss it. The T4i has its virtues (like for video) but probably had little to offer for her type of photography. One of the problems with Canon is (it seems as if) you almost have to go for the L glass, and that gets expensive. So with Canon, you can spend $1200 on a camera and two lenses but end up with almost nothing useful (for high quality).

Find a good price on an FA77 or DA*55 and she'll probably never miss it!

04-17-2013, 11:24 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
no she doesnt mind mf as my 50mm asahi is auto focus and she loved it after i had her do some adjusting with aperture. she likes the idea that she can afford more lenses than she can for her canon.
04-17-2013, 11:29 PM   #6

Original Poster
she also seems to be in shock that you can use this camera when its raining. and yes i did warn her its weather sealed and not meant for scuba diving and its only weather resistant with weather resistant lenses.
04-17-2013, 11:55 PM - 3 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

Excellent!

she also seems to be in shock that you can use this camera when its raining. and yes i did warn her its weather sealed and not meant for scuba diving and its only weather resistant with weather resistant lenses.
Now show her this:

-Heie

04-18-2013, 12:26 AM   #8
Forum Member

I hope that she will like the K-30, the K-5 is better made after all.

QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
after looking at her canon and looking at my k5 it looked like she was about to throw up.
I've experienced that feeling myself by briefly holding a Nikon D3000. (I know that it's in no way a competitor to the K-5)

Heie, that's the video I show people when they are interested in the WR capabilities of the Pentax system
04-18-2013, 12:41 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TrueFocus Quote
I hope that she will like the K-30, the K-5 is better made after all.

I've experienced that feeling myself by briefly holding a Nikon D3000. (I know that it's in no way a competitor to the K-5)

Heie, that's the video I show people when they are interested in the WR capabilities of the Pentax system

well i honestly never held a k30 so i cant call it but im sure when she opens the box and see how purdy that camera is and playing with that wr lens in the sprinkler ( she already told me she was going to do that lol) she wont even remember what the k5 felt like
04-18-2013, 01:01 AM - 1 Like   #10

after looking at her canon and looking at my k5 it looked like she was about to throw up
And at least if she throws up on the K-5 it won't damage the camera...
04-18-2013, 04:05 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Cool, nicely written little story!
04-18-2013, 04:23 AM   #12

I remember that you posted a while back about purchasing the silver K5 and the silver 40mm XS, can we see some pictures of it? I don't think there are many floating around, I've only seen a few promo photos of them together.
04-18-2013, 05:46 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mattco26 Quote
I remember that you posted a while back about purchasing the silver K5 and the silver 40mm XS, can we see some pictures of it? I don't think there are many floating around, I've only seen a few promo photos of them together.
i sure will
04-19-2013, 02:41 AM   #14
Veteran Member

The canon 85/1.8 is a very good lens with a very cheap price.
18-135 from other brands are also cheaper and better IQ in labs.

If she likes the 18-55kit, she would not be disappointed with Pentax because we got one of the best kit lens out there.
04-19-2013, 08:46 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Here's another video where they state that Pentax LV AF is better on the K30
Pentax K-30 Hands-On Field Test - YouTube