Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2008, 02:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Photo laboratory for Mac

Looks like I can't use DNG in Raw in PS as the colors are too strange. I tried to upload Pentax Photo Laboratory Silky Pix for the K20D for Mac and even thought the CD is able to open, I can't load the program. I click on it and nothing happens. Any other Mac users having a similar problem? Kind of freaks me out as I am shooting for an important Mag and may have to shoot in JPEG. Anyone know when Adobe will have the Camera Raw profile for the K20D?

The JPEG's look great but....

Thanks
Ben

03-06-2008, 02:42 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I read on another forum that you have to open the installer package and run the mini installer inside. I haven't looked at it so I don't know what it's called. It seems Pentax has a code error in the main installer.

I am using Aperture with K20 DNG and doing fine. The WB numbers are still off, but the image looks fine.
03-06-2008, 02:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I gave up on Pentax Photo Lab for Mac - I did get it to load and run a few times but it's buggy as hell and just freezes.. Not worth the effort. If your only problems are screwy colors, it seems maybe the color space is off.. Just make sure everything is AdobeRGB or sRGB - Program, MAC OS, Camera.. (printer profiles too) - If not, have you tried PEF? Mac has native support for PEF..
03-06-2008, 03:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
I gave up on Pentax Photo Lab for Mac - I did get it to load and run a few times but it's buggy as hell and just freezes.. Not worth the effort. If your only problems are screwy colors, it seems maybe the color space is off.. Just make sure everything is AdobeRGB or sRGB - Program, MAC OS, Camera.. (printer profiles too) - If not, have you tried PEF? Mac has native support for PEF..
I have Mac..I have tried to open PEF in Adobe PS3 and it is not recognized. Are you saying that I should open PEF in Preview and or what? Just tried to open RAW PEF in Mac but it is not recognized. It wont open in Bridge nor PS3. I think there has to be a new profile for the Pentax K20D in Camera Raw. I am shooting in Adobe RGB, my color space in PS is Adobe RGB as well as in the Camera Raw PS program...

Thanks
Ben

03-06-2008, 03:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just shot with flash and DNG was perfect. I tried to replicate my light mixture i.e. Flash and Tungsten and it works perfectly. I think it is a WB problem. I think many issues will be resolved once Adobe provide a CR update for the K20D.
Attached Images

03-06-2008, 03:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The work-around solution: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/185816-post16.html

Or download the updated installler, info here: Photo Browser/Lab 3.5 Mac issues: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
03-06-2008, 03:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by a a i b Quote
Thanks, i'll check it out. But I think I will stay with CR and DNG for Adobe.

Ben
03-06-2008, 03:53 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I think it is a WB problem. I think many issues will be resolved once Adobe provide a CR update for the K20D.
Yes. According to Adobe programmers speaking on an Adobe forum, Pentax did a mistake in implementing the DNG color profiles correctly (speak is: "way off") and Pentax has already been contacted by Adobe on the issue. Nothing we can do but wait

Maybe, because it may become a firmware update rather than an ACR update, shot in RAW+JPEG...

03-06-2008, 04:58 PM   #9
Inactive Account

The exact same issues happened with the K10 when it first came out. The very next CR update fixed it. I have been using CS3 with my K20 without issues other than the WB numbers being off. I haven't noticed any color issues in the image itself. I am also having good luck with A2. I am just glad that Pentax choose to offer DNG or we would all be out of luck until updates came out.

Come to think of it, Adobe is due for a CR update. I think it has been three months since the last one and that is usually their schedule, roughly.
03-06-2008, 05:11 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
The exact same issues happened with the K10 when it first came out. The very next CR update fixed it. I have been using CS3 with my K20 without issues other than the WB numbers being off. I haven't noticed any color issues in the image itself. I am also having good luck with A2. I am just glad that Pentax choose to offer DNG or we would all be out of luck until updates came out.

Come to think of it, Adobe is due for a CR update. I think it has been three months since the last one and that is usually their schedule, roughly.
I hope so and soon...

Ben
03-07-2008, 01:39 AM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I hope so and soon...

Ben
I've been playing around with K20D DNG files and find that the WB issue also occurs with Pentax Photo Lab as well as ACR, plus RawTherapee and the "real" ISL SilkyPix (v3.0). They all need a substantial push towards magenta. It seems to be an issue with the final production firmware v 1.0, as my shots with firmware v 0.20 don't exhibit the problem. I believe Ned Bunnell has contacted the engineers in Japan about the issue.

Strangely the WB issues don't occur with Capture One v 4.01, it works fine, not only that, it seems to produce very good colour. I think it must ignore some of the camera generated data, even though you set the WB details to as shot.

It will be interesting to see what ISL (SilkyPix themselves) produce when they release support for the K20D PEF's. It seems strange that they haven't done so as yet, as they are usually the first "off the block" with new camera support, especially as they've already released support for the K200D. Maybe they have also identified the issue?
03-07-2008, 06:53 AM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Day Quote
Strangely the WB issues don't occur with Capture One v 4.01, it works fine, not only that, it seems to produce very good colour. I think it must ignore some of the camera generated data, even though you set the WB details to as shot.
That's supported by this thread in the "other" forum (K20D dng files with Adobe Camera Raw??: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review) -- unfortunately, I downloaded the trial and I can't see ANY files (even k10d ones) within CaptureOne! I know that can't be right but I haven't had time to troubleshoot. I'll most likely try this weekend...

Good to have it corroborated, though -- thanks Richard!
03-07-2008, 07:46 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Are people seeing strange color casts with the photos before making any adjustments, or after applying a WB preset? I am not seeing strange colors when I open the shots, unless I had the wrong setting in camera. The WB numbers are off so the presets don't work since they are based on set numbers. When setting WB manually with either the sliders of the eyedropper I get fine colors. I do find this to be a pain and want it fixed, but it has not kept me from enjoying the camera in the mean time.
03-07-2008, 10:42 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Tiger and Leopard both have native support for Pentax PEF files. Not sure why you're having a problem reading them. No problems with Aperture either.

The Pentax software seems all but useless on a Mac, even the updates. Unless of course something dramatic has changed.