Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2013, 06:33 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Hello, forum!

My camera quest has almost come to an end. (To the Mega End Boss?) I'd sincerely like to hear your opinion on these cameras, since I'll only be buying one, but waiting for "the next model" isn't an option since I'll just be waiting for something I can't afford.

What I think now, and with regard to my needs:

Both have that Sony Sweet Sixteen
Both can be used with manual lenses
Both feel like they're molded to fit my hands

K-5 II (1200€ with 18-135)
+Overall better AF
+Can be comfortably used with any +compatible lens
+Is WR, plus the 18-135
+Has SR
+ISO goes to 51k. I don't care if it "isn't usable", if it has the setting I'll use it.

-Slightly larger
-Slightly awkward to use VF, as with any SLR

X-E1 (1350€ with 35/1.4)

+EVF, which WRT my -3,25/-3,5 eyes is better
+Less flange distance, can use more lenses
+Cleaner high ISO
+Sharper files, but problems with RAW converters
+Dat 35mm lens

-Only goes to ISO 6400
-RAW conversion problems (fixed?)
-Bye bye birding and wildlife
Edit: - Dodgy low light AF?

PS How ironic. A year ago I joined up thinking the K-5 was the one camera to rule them all...
Maybe you could tell us which kind of photos you plan to shoot, and which lenses you plan to buy in the future.

Also, in one scenario you'll start with a big zoom and in the other one with a fast prime, it's not exactly the same in terms of size, weight and usage.

04-19-2013, 11:34 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Last words for the record: I only listed the size because it was a difference, maybe I'll remove it from the OP altogether.

Anyway, I'll be buying the K-5 II. Figured the X-E1 isn't mature enough yet. In the 5 years or so that I'll be a poorfag student many things will change.

PS @Horuk: Saj mogoče že veš, ma pri Beskotu imamo člani slovenskega Pentax foruma 15% popust na Pentax robo in še nekaj drugih znamk. Tudi zato sem nehal gledat 01, ker enostavno ni zadostne razlike med njim in petko.

Last edited by Giklab; 04-19-2013 at 11:39 AM.
04-19-2013, 01:44 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
+Cleaner high ISO
+Sharper files, but problems with RAW converters
I hear people say this, but when I look at the DPR comparator, I don't see it. Fuji files are cleaner, but it's clear that they are adding heavy NR to the raw file. The detail is reduced and the colours are washed out. Even at base ISO the Fujis lack detail. This comparison is at ISO 200, the lowest for Fuji. The K-5's go to ISO 80 and almost certainly have better Dynamic Range as a result.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/studio-compare#baseDir=%2Freviews_data&camer...aCameraCount=0

ISO 6400:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/studio-compare#baseDir=%2Freviews_data&camer...aCameraCount=0

Last edited by audiobomber; 04-19-2013 at 06:22 PM.
04-19-2013, 01:46 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
: Saj mogoče že veš,
Hvala za info, nisem vedel.

04-19-2013, 02:44 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Hvala za info, nisem vedel.
Ni problema. Je pa potrebna registracija (seveda) in PM Adminku.
04-19-2013, 07:27 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Last words for the record: I only listed the size because it was a difference, maybe I'll remove it from the OP altogether.

Anyway, I'll be buying the K-5 II. Figured the X-E1 isn't mature enough yet. In the 5 years or so that I'll be a poorfag student many things will change.

PS @Horuk: Saj mogoče že veš, ma pri Beskotu imamo člani slovenskega Pentax foruma 15% popust na Pentax robo in še nekaj drugih znamk. Tudi zato sem nehal gledat 01, ker enostavno ni zadostne razlike med njim in petko.
To confuse you a bit

I do think Fuji to their credit is moving rather fast on the X-series.
XE-1 was a good improvement/refinement over X-pro1.
The X100s is certainly a step in the right direction over those 2.

I'd think in 2yrs from now, they will seriously threaten Pentax for the small camera + smallish lens + fast primes segment.
Its a given that EVF/LV refresh rates and resolution will improve in the near future.

Of course that assumes that Pentax remains static and quiet as it is for the past year or two.
04-19-2013, 09:31 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No probs Pinhole . Assuming Pentax sit on their behinds, that's exactly what I'm counting on.

04-21-2013, 12:50 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Anyway, I'll be buying the K-5 II
Belay that, we bought a K-01.
04-23-2013, 07:32 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, here it is, three days early.

Time to lock the thread methinks.
Attached Images

06-05-2013, 03:03 AM   #25

I wanted XE1

I wanted an XE1 as soon as it was announced. I waited and waited, I read up on them. MMM that great sensors, those yummy lenses.

Got to handle one when I had the cash saved up. Dreams crushed in one go. Lightweight was great, but that focusing with the 35mm 1.4 and the 18-55m was killing me in the shop. I felt beaten and gutted. I couldnt bring myself to buy it.

But if they ever speed up the focusing and make it reliable focusing. I will be keen to lust after one again.
06-05-2013, 07:16 AM   #26
Banned

Congrats on the K-01, update the firmware and you will have a fast(ish) camera.
06-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Congrats on the K-01, update the firmware and you will have a fast(ish) camera.
I ended up returning the K-01 because of some AF problems (IDK if it was me or the camera). I now have a K-5II.
06-05-2013, 01:07 PM   #28
Banned

I ended up returning the K-01 because of some AF problems (IDK if it was me or the camera). I now have a K-5II.
Well congrats on that
06-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Anyway, to me, cameras fall into two categories: pocketable and not pocketable. Both the K5/K30/X-E1 fall into the not-pocketable category, in which case you need a bag to carry the camera and the size it appears is at least as dependent on what lens you have on it, as the camera body.
I don't buy clothes much - boring! However, I felt the need to have a warm weather casual jacket with pockets big enough to hold my K-30 with 35/2.4 and surprisingly they do exist and I got one. The fit is a little tight for quick withdrawal so I may look for a pancake lens, then there'll be no problem but it's workable with the 35/2.4. It will do until a suitable smaller camera comes along, I keep looking but don't think there's anything quite good enough with some sort of VF yet.