Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-18-2013, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Turning ordinary lenses into shift lenses - tutorial video!

Over the course of the coming weeks, we will be publishing a series of Pentax tutorial video! Our first video shows a unique feature of Pentax DSLRs:

Subscribe to our youtube channel to stay on top of things!
PentaxForums - YouTube

Update: follow-up video!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-18-2013, 12:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
One commenter in the youtube asked if the amount of shift is significant for use or not - is it, for architectural use with a wide lens?
04-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
One commenter in the youtube asked if the amount of shift is significant for use or not - is it, for architectural use with a wide lens?
That'll be covered in a future video!

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-18-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Great tutorial - I have to admit that I didn't know we had this feature. Something new to play with without spending any money!

04-20-2013, 08:50 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've been playing with this for a bit, it seems like it could be useful. What does that "angle" setting do, does it actually change the angle of the sensor inside the camera?
04-21-2013, 01:40 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WillWeaverRVA Quote
I've been playing with this for a bit, it seems like it could be useful. What does that "angle" setting do, does it actually change the angle of the sensor inside the camera?
It rotates the sensor, no tilt unfortunately.
04-21-2013, 02:07 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax has all the pieces available to create the same type of ultra high resolution shifted images as Hasselblad.They can shift the sensor, even rotate the sensor, taking multiple images with a 1.5 pixel shift, and then combine them together (in camera HDR processing). Thus an APS-C sensor based camera becomes the ultimate high resolution landscape camera with exceptional color accuracy. Using this approach, the K5/K5II/K5IIs/K30 could produce 64MP images in this mode.

Actually if Pentax applied this in a similar fashion as bracketing, just take and store the 4 or 6 images (as RAW or JPG) and let post processing perform the stacking, would certainly provide a much higher quality result. Just tag the EXIF with the amount of pixel shift and direction, and the stacking would be easy and quick.

Last edited by interested_observer; 04-21-2013 at 10:40 AM.
04-27-2013, 04:58 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Very cool. I am impressed with the amount of shift available. The big question in my mind (likely to be answered in a followup video) is whether the amount of available shift is less with those DA series lenses that have minimal coverage.

Steve
05-02-2013, 11:13 AM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
The follow-up video has just been posted:

Adam