Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2008, 03:03 PM   #1
Inactive Account

New Member-Former Nikonian!

Hello all!

Just bought a mint K100D and a used, but mint 18-55 kit lens. I have been a keen amateur photographer for 40 years (yikes!) and shot Nikon, Minolta and Canon film cameras, then Canon and Nikon digital.

I am selling my Nikon digital lenses and two bodies (D50 and 80) and switching to Pentax. I like the shake reduction on the newer Pentax bodies and the ergonomics as well. I am frustrated by the metering of the D80 and can't afford the D200 or D300. Also the D40X takes great pics with among the highest rated dynamic range but only can take lenseswith their own motors!

My plan is to keep the K100D as a backup, but one that will be used often. I always carry two bodies because I want the flexibility of having two different lenses available without having to keep changing lenses. I shoot stock (as an amateur) and always shoot in the Raw format. I have only the kit lense (which I understand is pretty good at F/8 or F11) until I finish selling the Nikon gear.

I then plan to buy either the K10D or 20D (probably 10D). Then I will buy a good prime (maybe F1.7 50mm) and several faster zooms that have strong reviews. As someone in another recent post said Pentax neds to come out with some F/4 quality lenses for those of us that are not well off!

Finally, I shoot mostly landscapes, macro, crowd scenes and some photo journalism type photos.

Anyway, sorry for the long post but I would appreciate any advice you Pentax veterans might have for me based on my tenative plans.

Bob

Last edited by Rmpjr7; 03-06-2008 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Add Information
03-06-2008, 03:12 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rmpjr7 Quote
Hello all!

Just bought a mint K100D and a used, but mint 18-55 kit lens. I have been a keen amateur photographer for 40 years (yikes!) and shot Nikon, Minolta and Canon film cameras, then Canon and Nikon digital.

I am selling my Nikon digital lenses and two bodies (D50 and 80) and switching to Pentax. I like the shake reduction on the newer Pentax bodies and the ergonomics as well. I am frustrated by the metering of the D80 and can't afford the D200 or D300. Also the D40X takes great pics with among the highest rated dynamic range but only can take lenseswith their own motors!

My plan is to keep the K100D as a backup, but one that will be used often. I always carry two bodies because I want the flexibility of having two different lenses available without having to keep changing lenses. I shoot stock (as an amateur) and always shoot in the Raw format. I have only the kit lense (which I understand is pretty good at F/8 or F11) until I finish selling the Nikon gear.

I then plan to buy either the K10D or 20D (probably 10D). Then I will buy a good prime (maybe F1.7 50mm) and several faster zooms that have strong reviews. As someone in another recent post said Pentax neds to come out with some F/4 quality lenses for those of us that are not well off!

Anyway, sorry for the long post but I would appreciate any advice you Pentax veterans might have for me based on my tenative plans.

Bob
I think you have the experience to know what lenses you need, what lenses you want, and what lenses you can afford. Generally, for me, the last two are mutually exclusive, and the first is - I shoot for my own pleasure, so need is irrelevant.

Don't trust the prices on eBay at all. Try KEF, Try around the corner brick and mortar shops. There are literally millions of Pentax lenses, and lenses that fit Pentax mounts, that are nothing short of superb. If you are daring enough to tackle the exposure quirks of the Pentax digitals and older non-A aperture lenses, then there is a bunch of really good glass out there.

One of my favourite shops (I know, I'm repeating myself) is Vintage Visuals in Calgary, Alberta Canada. I have dealt with them several times. They are fair and honest.

Right now, there are two 100/4 M series macros on the site, a couple of 300/4's and many other items.

If nothing else, their list of stuff will give you an idea of what is out on the used market. I have done well with used lenses over the years.

Welcome to the Pentaxians!
03-06-2008, 03:23 PM   #3

Welcome to our family!

I am not a Pentax-veteran, so I'll not give any advises, just wanted to welcome you
03-06-2008, 04:17 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Albert:

Thanks for the tips!

Do you have any trouble focussing your manual lenses on your K10D?

Bob

03-06-2008, 04:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the dark (or is it light?) side. I'm sure SR was a selling point for tons of converts...it was one for me.

I love manual lenses on the K10. I don't think there are really focus issues because the viewfinder is so big and bright compared to my 300D...and from what I hear...better than the K100
03-06-2008, 05:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Hello all!

Finally, I shoot mostly landscapes, macro, crowd scenes and some photo journalism type photos.

Bob

Welcome aboard! I've used a D80 and liked it. If you want something better than your D80, I would suggest getting the k20d if you can afford it. The high iso performance and resolution are worth it. If you want something as good as your D80 but just a bit different, then get the K10d. I also noticed one of the main camera stores has the fa 50mm f1.4 on sale for 195.00 right now. (adorama, b+h?) I just purchased a da 70mm f2.4 and love it.
03-06-2008, 07:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reknelb Quote
I also noticed one of the main camera stores has the fa 50mm f1.4 on sale for 195.00 right now. (adorama, b+h?).
That's been its price all along! Although judging by all the idiots on eBay paying $200+ for this lens (used!) you'd think it's the best kept secret in Pentax photography.

Bob, you would do well to purchase this lens (new, of course). It will not disappoint you, especially if you're not new to photography.

And welcome to the P Side! (or is it the K Side...?)

03-06-2008, 08:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Welcome, you'll find this a friendly, and informative forum. lots of people that really know their stuff !! ( someday, I hope to be one of them )
03-06-2008, 09:33 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Albert:

Thanks for the tips!

Do you have any trouble focussing your manual lenses on your K10D?

Bob
Not really. The screen is a bit "bland", but I make do with it. I dislike intensely having split images/prism screens - they drive me nuts. This is very personal, of course, and probably comes from using an original Pentax from 1960 to 1976 or thereabouts. The screen was the screen. There was nothing on it but what came from the mirror, and a center circle that was a bit brighter.

I do find with the LL80 screens on the K10D, that the images don't "pop" into focus on the screen, but by carefully setting the diopter to my eyes, I can detect focus. During the recent lunar eclipse, I also found that my 400/5.6 would give a focus indication on the moon in the K10D.

With the macro, I tend to use snap-in-focus a lot. I was disappointed to find that the new lenses won't do it. When you set the lens to manual focus, it changes the body setting. Bummer.
03-06-2008, 10:10 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome aboard...I believe you will find that truly you have upgraded...
I believe you should take a look at the K10D as they are almost gone and they can be bought at a very good price.
03-07-2008, 03:45 AM   #11

Rmpjr7:
I suggest you should purchase K20D instead of K10D. Its AF performance is better than K10D. I'm afraid if you bought K10D, you might find weaker AF performance compared to D80.
If it so happened, you might have feeling you choose the wrong system, why i sold my D80?

kyrios
03-07-2008, 07:14 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just received my K20D yesterday. Haven't taken it out of the house yet but I'm seeing incredible detail at ISO6400 in a dimly lit room and closet where my K10D wouldn't even come close. My real test will be dance competition stages at the end of the month. If I had to choose, I'd definitely opt for the K20D. But I don't and now I have both. I've only had the K10D since November and I really like it for portraits (way better than the Canon 40D). These are just my humble opinions, of course.
03-07-2008, 08:59 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I just received my K20D as well, and while I have not really given it a test drive, the auto focus speed is the same as my K10D..I agree the high ISO performance is quite amazing...
03-07-2008, 09:13 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum!

As for affordable lenses, the Marketplace is a good source for gently used lenses. There are a couple of really good ones that run around $300 used-- the Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.5 (I have this one) and the Tamron 28-75/2.8. A good sharp tele zoom is the F70-210/4-5.6 (I have this one too) and it runs around $150-200.

If you have your heart set on constant aperture, there's the DA 16-45/4, which can be had for around $300 used ; if you want more range, then Pentax is supposed to come out with a 17-70/4 sometime this summer. In the way of a constant aperture tele zoom, the only one I can think of right off hand is the Pentax A70-210/4, which is a manual focus, which is a lot cheaper than either the Sigma or Tamron 70-200/2.8s that are supposed to be coming out in the near future. On Fleabay, the prices on the A70-210 vary widely, but most likely, you'd be able to pick one up for $100 or less. Right now, I've got a bid on on a Sears-branded version of the A70-210 on Fleabay; assuming that I win it, I'm curious to see how it will stack up against my F70-210 and Quantaray 70-300/4-5.6 (basically a rebadged Sigma), both newer AF lenses.

Anyway, HTH--
Heather