Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2008, 11:14 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Tamron SP500 f.8 Mirror Lens on K10D?

I was looking for knowlege on using the Tamron SP 500mm f. 8 on a k10D. I have the KA mounts for my other Adaptall II lensesso mounting isn't an issue. My chief question is metering in spot mode and any problems I might encounter. I am aware of the bokeh issue with mirror lenses, many years ago I had one for my ME Super and with the features available to treat backgrounds in post process, I believe it could be a handy lightweight hiking lens with a medium weight tripod and release. It also might be handy for fireworks.
Thanks Everyone!

03-07-2008, 12:01 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 71Matador250 Quote
I was looking for knowlege on using the Tamron SP 500mm f. 8 on a k10D. I have the KA mounts for my other Adaptall II lensesso mounting isn't an issue. My chief question is metering in spot mode and any problems I might encounter. I am aware of the bokeh issue with mirror lenses, many years ago I had one for my ME Super and with the features available to treat backgrounds in post process, I believe it could be a handy lightweight hiking lens with a medium weight tripod and release. It also might be handy for fireworks.
Thanks Everyone!
The simplest and most accurate way to check out the metering is to try it. Obviously, it won't go into matrix, but try it in both center weighted and spot. I have usually found center weighted metering a la Pentax (some bottom weight as well) to be quite good in landscape mode, but one must be careful in portrait mode, as you get some left or right metering emphasis.
11-11-2008, 02:52 PM   #3

I am using this combination with centre weighted metering OK. I do have some issues with trying to use auto ISO or setting specific shutter speeds outside of manual mode, but I think this is an issue of the mount not the lens.
11-11-2008, 05:21 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
if you want to check the metering in green button mode (spot and center weighted etc, ) just use the green button to set exoposure pointed at a block wall and check grey scale value (should be 110 - 120)

11-11-2008, 05:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I have a Kenko 500mm f/6.3 mirror and a K200D so it might not be an entirely accurate comparison but green button metering works perfectly 100% of the time and program auto-metering consistently underexposes 1.5-2 stops.
11-11-2008, 06:36 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by kristoffon Quote
I have a Kenko 500mm f/6.3 mirror and a K200D so it might not be an entirely accurate comparison but green button metering works perfectly 100% of the time and program auto-metering consistently underexposes 1.5-2 stops.
Does the Kenko have a manual mount - I guess so - or can the camera pick up aperture and focal length info from the lens? If it's all manual, is the camera actually happy to go into program mode? My K10D with the Tamron lens insists on using Av regardless of the dial setting apart from Manual.