Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Are you satisfied with your K20D?
NO!! NOT Satisfied 46.45%
Satisfied with reservations/qualifications 914.52%
Yes. Satisfied. 1219.35%
YES!!!! VERY satisfied 1219.35%
It Rocks! 2540.32%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2008, 10:59 PM   #16

got mine today

OK I read the specs on the K20D, and ordered one.

I've been using the Sony DSC R1 (fixed lens) and have been very satisifed but I think I wore it out with over 100k shots and it needs some repair now. (shutter)

For the K20D, I ordered a pentax lens, the 18-250, and had just enough light to give the 20D and lens a quick road test late this afternoon.

The first issue I've run into is purple fringing. I've had really no problem with that with the Sony R1. But its all over the landscape shots I took tonight with the K20D along the horizon line where the mountains and sky meet. I'm assuming its the lens. The lens wasn't cheap so that's a pretty big disappointment.

Admittedly the light was getting dim, and its probably an unfair first test. Will be shooting in the morning tomorrow. If the same thing occurs, the lens is going back. I had the purple fringe problem with the Sony DSC F828 (fixed lens), prior to buying the R1, but the R1 fixed the issue.

Can anyone recommend a better lens than the pentax 18-250? I assumed this was a great lens.

03-10-2008, 01:04 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by new2pentax Quote
...Can anyone recommend a better lens than the pentax 18-250? I assumed this was a great lens.
Bring this up in the SLR lens section for more replies, but I will just offer a generalised opinon (I have not tried the 18-250) that super zooms give up some specific corrective measures one might find in a lens designed to operate at less (or single) focal points. Also, the DA line are the 'consumer' line, not that you should expect poor performance, but the DA* and limiteds are superior designs.

Back on topic, my K20 experience started with downs - dead pixel in first copy, returned; I found 200% dynamic range to be a little bit pie in the sky in my experience; I heard of the HDR in-camera and had higher hopes - but I have also seen the light in the resolution and live view depts. I also found the color to be more natural, more consistently than with the K10. All in all, satisfied after some initial reservations.
03-10-2008, 01:27 PM   #18

Can anyone recommend a better lens than the pentax 18-250? I assumed this was a great lens.
first, 18-250mm gives us the potential to recommend nearly any kind of lens. Are you looking for a specific use? It is rare to find, if it even exists, a zoom lens with as broad a range as 18-250, that is also considered exceptional. I think you might have to get two, or even three zoom lenses to cover that range, and be happy with the images it produces. If you are really picky, then you might even have to get a prime lens.

So, potentially i could recommend 10-15 lenses, but that would not even help you pick one. You need to specify what you want.

T.
03-10-2008, 01:42 PM   #19
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm in the 'waiting and saving mode' Just having dropped a bundle to re-build the lens collection. With any luck 2-3 months.

03-10-2008, 07:22 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
So far I have had mine 7 days and have been pleasantly very happy with it..I feel like the $1300.00 I spent was well worth it....

Now in saying this, I have only taken it out twice...for some reason, I still keep going back to my K110D....According to Photo ME my K110D has 29882 shutter count...Don't know about My K100D super or K10D, But I know I do not use them much either...
03-10-2008, 08:22 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
OK I read the specs on the K20D, and ordered one.

I've been using the Sony DSC R1 (fixed lens) and have been very satisifed but I think I wore it out with over 100k shots and it needs some repair now. (shutter)

For the K20D, I ordered a pentax lens, the 18-250, and had just enough light to give the 20D and lens a quick road test late this afternoon.

The first issue I've run into is purple fringing. I've had really no problem with that with the Sony R1. But its all over the landscape shots I took tonight with the K20D along the horizon line where the mountains and sky meet. I'm assuming its the lens. The lens wasn't cheap so that's a pretty big disappointment.

Admittedly the light was getting dim, and its probably an unfair first test. Will be shooting in the morning tomorrow. If the same thing occurs, the lens is going back. I had the purple fringe problem with the Sony DSC F828 (fixed lens), prior to buying the R1, but the R1 fixed the issue.

I think that's what you should expect from a consumer superzoom lens on a high resolution camera. You really need better optics with a camera like the K20D.

Rob
03-14-2008, 11:36 AM   #22

Ok.. well, I might be willing to put the extra dough up to by the K20D, but I am using the 18-250mm Pentax lens, so would it be better to go with the K10D until I can afford better glass? Or should I go ahead and buy the K20D and just shoot at a lower MP range?
03-14-2008, 02:34 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kbickhart Quote
Ok.. well, I might be willing to put the extra dough up to by the K20D, but I am using the 18-250mm Pentax lens, so would it be better to go with the K10D until I can afford better glass? Or should I go ahead and buy the K20D and just shoot at a lower MP range?
I could not come up with any logical argument to say buy the K10 ahead of the K20, provided you can afford it, then definatley get the latest & greatest. I would get it with the new kit lens as well, you save very little by buying body only, as that will give you some indication of how good or otherwise, the 18-250 is.

Goodluck with your decision.

03-14-2008, 03:00 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by GWP Quote
I could not come up with any logical argument to say buy the K10 ahead of the K20, provided you can afford it, then definatley get the latest & greatest. I would get it with the new kit lens as well, you save very little by buying body only, as that will give you some indication of how good or otherwise, the 18-250 is.

Goodluck with your decision.
Thanks.. I'll give that a shot. I feel like the K10D is nice upgrade over my K100D, but I might as well spend the extra and get the K20D so I'm happier in the long run, as this camera will have to last me for a while.