Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2013, 01:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Next step up from K100D (bought a new Tamron 70-200)

Finally got off the fence and replaced my cheapo Tamron 75-300mm zoom, with a new Tamron AF70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD(IF) Macro lens. Man, this lens is a tank compared to my other lens!!!! Have taken a couple pics out in the backyard and it is sooooooo much sweeter than my other Tamron. I know, not apples to oranges, and I have to say, the old Tamron has been pretty good, providing, it has enough light.

Anyway, now I'm thinking about upgrading to a different body. I really like the K100D, but just feel the need to upgrade, or, simply "want" to.

I like how the K100D is layed out. Simple, not too many buttons to get all confused on. What wld be a good replacement body? K200D?

Softball, soccer, indoor conerts, etc., are what I have planned for it. Have one kid left (9th grader) and want to get some killer shots of her high school days.

Thank u for any advice.

04-26-2013, 01:24 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vmax84 Quote
Finally got off the fence and replaced my cheapo Tamron 75-300mm zoom, with a new Tamron AF70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD(IF) Macro lens. Man, this lens is a tank compared to my other lens!!!! Have taken a couple pics out in the backyard and it is sooooooo much sweeter than my other Tamron. I know, not apples to oranges, and I have to say, the old Tamron has been pretty good, providing, it has enough light.

Anyway, now I'm thinking about upgrading to a different body. I really like the K100D, but just feel the need to upgrade, or, simply "want" to.

I like how the K100D is layed out. Simple, not too many buttons to get all confused on. What wld be a good replacement body? K200D?

Softball, soccer, indoor conerts, etc., are what I have planned for it. Have one kid left (9th grader) and want to get some killer shots of her high school days.

Thank u for any advice.
I would recommend the K-30. It's a step above the (aging) K200D in terms of image quality, and it has modern features such as live view and video support.

Here is our review of the Pentax K-30:
Pentax K-30 Camera Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

It's also quite affordable:
Pentax K-30 Digital Camera (Body Only) (Black) 15613 B&H Photo

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-26-2013, 01:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I have the Tamron 70-200 too and agree with you, its a great performer for me.

I also agree with Adam about the camera. Take a look at this comparison page for the 100D, 200D and K-30:
Pentax Cameras | Pentax K100D vs. Pentax K200D vs. Pentax K-30 - Pentax DSLR Comparison - PentaxForums.com
04-26-2013, 01:51 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I like how the K100D is layed out. Simple, not too many buttons to get all confused on.
More buttons does not equal more confusion or even more stuff that you have to deal with. The "more" buttons you'd get on newer Pentax DSLRs are just physical switches to features that are hidden in menus that already exist on your K100D. They are their for quick access. Nothing more. And you don't even have to touch them if you don't want to. Just leave them in their default positions, and let them do their job just like theydo now on your K100D.

Oh, and the K-30 will blow you away. Not because it has more advanced features, but because it can do more on it's own, in AUTO, to give you a finished product that you could only dream of capturing on a K100D.

04-26-2013, 01:57 PM   #5
smf
Pentaxian

I have been enjoying a K-x I bought used through the Marketplace. I kept my K100D.
04-26-2013, 02:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback and info. Am sooooooooo stoked on trying the new lens out tomorrow at my daughter's softball game. Yaaaaaaaayyyyy!!!

I'll post a couple pics to show u the old K100D can still get it done. I've had the body a long long time, and have to say, it's been a good soldier and it has captured thousands and thousands of pics of my daughters thru the years. Dang thing has been worth its weight in gold.
04-26-2013, 02:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Thanks for the feedback and info. Am sooooooooo stoked on trying the new lens out tomorrow at my daughter's softball game. Yaaaaaaaayyyyy!!!

I'll post a couple pics to show u the old K100D can still get it done. I've had the body a long long time, and have to say, it's been a good soldier and it has captured thousands and thousands of pics of my daughters thru the years. Dang thing has been worth its weight in gold.
That's great. I think you'll like the 70-200 out in the field. I use a Monopod with mine for soccer and really find it to be a significant plus for me when I'm shooting the games. Also, the hood is a necessity as it is not as flare resistant as many Pentax lenses. Its not slouch but I find the hood increases contrast and eliminates flare. Enjoy your day out.

04-26-2013, 03:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
That's great. I think you'll like the 70-200 out in the field. I use a Monopod with mine for soccer and really find it to be a significant plus for me when I'm shooting the games. Also, the hood is a necessity as it is not as flare resistant as many Pentax lenses. Its not slouch but I find the hood increases contrast and eliminates flare. Enjoy your day out.

Monopod.........not there's something I didn't need with the other lens. Wonder how I am gonna endure the heft of the thing for the all day tournament!!! haha
04-26-2013, 03:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I was going to recommend the K200D (because of its nice CCD sensor) until you said softball, soccer, indoor concerts, ...!

I upgraded my K100D Super to a K200D, but the old images from my K100D still look great to me.

However, since you may need AF performance you need to stick with the K-30 or K-5 II/IIs (not the original K-5). At some point you may even need to look at faster focusing lenses, but the
Tamron plus one of these bodies should be quite good for now. They also have much better high-ISO performance than the K100D, which really helps in some of the situations you mentioned. I'd keep your K100D, at least for a little while, so you can compare it with the new body.

BTW, the K-x and K-r could also work well (almost as good in high-ISO performance) if you want to save money and don't need significantly improved AF performance.
04-26-2013, 04:34 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Think a moment and try to remember how often you use the top LCD.
If it is quite often (like with me), you may badly miss it with K-x, K-r, and K-30.

Top LCDs you will find with K200D, K20D, K-7, and all K-5 bodies.
However, the K200D can't illuminate it.
04-26-2013, 05:47 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
Think a moment and try to remember how often you use the top LCD.
I used the top LCD on my DL all the time. I was afraid I would miss it when I upgraded. I actually haven't missed it at all
04-26-2013, 06:03 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
I used the top LCD on my DL all the time. I was afraid I would miss it when I upgraded. I actually haven't missed it at all
This may also depend on your shooting style, and whether you need glasses.

To check the settings the camera does, with a top LCD you don't need to put your glasses off at this stage.
Without LCD, it means looking through the VF without glasses for a settings check, probably put it on again for another scenery/composition check, and finally put it off again for the shot.
It won't be like this every time, but, with me, more often than not.
04-26-2013, 06:32 PM   #13

Photos: Gallery
You should poke your nose into the marketplace. There's quite a few bodies up for grabs last I checked. I agree with the consensus on a K-30 but if you're looking to save a little money, the K-x and K-r are very inexpensive now and would be a decent step up as well. I just stepped up to the K-5 from the K-7 and the 14 bit raw makes a massive difference when it comes to low light or maybe it's just a feature of a better sensor... If you can go for one, I'd highly suggest the K-5.
04-26-2013, 06:32 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I haven't tried a body without a top LCD, but I do use it frequently. The in-viewfinder info displays on the K100, K200, and K5 are all relatively poor and difficult to see.

The K5/K30 gives a couple of stops better noise performance and better dynamic range vs. the K200, and under many circumstances that's a big deal. I'm not sure how much difference there is in dynamic range between a K30 (12-bit) and the K-5 (14-bit.) And the viewfinders on the K5/K30 are somewhat better than the K200/K100. But the K200 is also a significant step up from the k100. I've particularly found the dust handling (dust alerts, sensor cleaning, etc.) on the K200 is so vastly superior that that on the K100 that it would be worth upgrading just for that. Dust handling on the K5 is probably better still, but the difference isn't night-and-day like with the K100 vs. K200.

Paul
04-26-2013, 07:49 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
To check the settings the camera does, with a top LCD you don't need to put your glasses off at this stage. Without LCD, it means looking through the VF without glasses for a settings check, probably put it on again for another scenery/composition check, and finally put it off again for the shot. It won't be like this every time, but, with me, more often than not.

I also wear glasses. The info is on the rear screen ,and is larger, and brighter than on the top LCD of my DL. I also don't need to lower the camera or stand over the camera to see the screen. Just move the camera away from my face, or vice - versa . The camera info is on all the time like the top LCD till the shutter button is touched then the screen goes blank , so that you can see into/ thru the VF. There is also live view . I don't use it very often but it is nice to have on the occasions I want it, Along with focus peaking for manual focusing.
One other thing the K-30 has ( I don't know about the others) that I really like, and appreciate Pentax adding is the level in the VF . The one on my tripod broke.