Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2013, 05:31 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'll vote for the filter also. Like Kerrowdown I run naked now except for hoods - and sorry Patrick9, one time I did dash out of the sauna in my birthday suit to catch this pair in the woods behind the sauna .... thankfully the sauna is located on my brother-in-law's hobby farm well outside the city-
You'll notice their surprised looks too

I DO keep both CPL and UV filter in my bag, but the only time I attach the UV filter is during harsh weather.

04-27-2013, 05:56 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Some of my lenses are prone to this too and a couple are way worse than the kit lens. I think it comes down to how good coating they use on the inner lens element to minimize the amount of light bouncing around on the surfaces. At least your shot is really easy to post-process, look at this double moon:

04-27-2013, 11:52 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Here's an example of my own. That window isn't supposed to be floating out there in the fog:

04-27-2013, 04:51 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
I'll vote for the filter also
The same here. The kit lens may have its faults, but the aperture dot is not one of them.

Steve

04-27-2013, 04:52 PM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Here's an example of my own. That window isn't supposed to be floating out there in the fog:
That is just too cool!

Steve
04-27-2013, 05:20 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
A window to the other side?
04-27-2013, 05:23 PM   #22
Forum Member

Whilst not a very good photo, but proving, beyond doubt, the moon is made of green cheese . . . photo was taken with an 18-135 WR lens with the UV filter on. When I took the filter off, magically the green cheese moon disappeared, never to be seen again. Apart from ruining the hypotheses of the moon being made of green cheese, a good lesson was learned . . . take the UV filter off when photographing the moon!!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
04-27-2013, 11:43 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
A window to the other side?
Nope. It was just a M 50 1.7 on a tripod in the open air - but with a UV filter on the lens. I learnt my lesson.

Last edited by rawr; 04-27-2013 at 11:48 PM.
04-27-2013, 11:47 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Hog 4 Quote
take the UV filter off when photographing the moon!!
An excellent example.
04-28-2013, 12:51 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Yes, this looks like a reflection from the front element of the lens back to the UV filter, which in turn reflects back into the lens. It's very common for night-time shots like this one. Either remove the filter for similar situations, or make sure you use a multicoated filter. You may find this interesting:

UV filters test - Introduction - Lenstip.com

In my opinion, assuming your filter meets certain minimum quality standards, the quality of the coatings is the most important aspect for any "protection" filter.

Do note, though, even without a filter, night-time scenes can be problematic; reflections can and will occur within the lens itself, leading to spurious artefacts.
04-28-2013, 10:35 AM   #26
Site Supporter

Through the years I've seen many "UFO" pictures where the glowing orb was symmetrically opposite the center of the picture from a bright light source. Hilarious to read what the UFO "experts" had to say about these.
04-28-2013, 08:42 PM   #27
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the suggestions. I do believe it is due to the UV filter even though I can't do any tests now (rainy days), Get back to some of your questions.
1. I do see the green dot on the optical viewfinder, Pentax K-r
2. The filter has coating (green color) but it is not the most expensive UV filter from the store. It is around $20 (TechPro HMC UV) and they have another one around $40. I guess that may be the different between them.
3. FastStone suggestions. They all work.

Now I have quite happy with my picture. Thanks for your help.
04-29-2013, 06:30 AM   #28
Inactive Account

That is swamp gas.
07-02-2015, 09:44 AM   #29

i just noticed this on some of my photos yesterday.

kind of annoying since it wasn't really an issue when i had my *ist DL.