Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2013, 02:50 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
[grhazelton]
BTW it also fits my Olympus OM 10, which suggests that the Olly converter would fit Pentax.
It does. I use an OM finder with my K200D.

04-30-2013, 04:37 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why not simply kneel down so the camera is at "waist level"?
04-30-2013, 05:32 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Been there, done that - my dog thinks it is an invitation to come over for a hug.
04-30-2013, 06:21 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Been there, done that - my dog thinks it is an invitation to come over for a hug.
So give him one!

Then take his picture.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 05-01-2013 at 07:23 AM.
04-30-2013, 09:24 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Or something else, which in a family publication shouldn't be mentioned!
05-01-2013, 10:44 AM   #21
Site Supporter

So give him one!

Then take his picture.
The hug he always gets, but the whole idea of my kneeling (as an alternative to a waist level finder) WAS to get his picture. I don't happen to own a wide angle lens that focuses to zero distance.
05-01-2013, 11:28 AM   #22
Pentaxian

As some one who uses a waist level on a Hasselblad, ground glass on a view camera as well as film and digital Pentax cameras, it is more to it than the height of the camera. If you kneel and use a waist level you can get it even lower etc. Plus try moving about a scene or a party kneeling to be able to see your viewfinder at that level Plus you are not hidden behind the camera so it is a totally different way of looking at your subject. And you can hold the camera above your head and look up at the viewfinder which you cannot repeat with the kneeling method.

Not sure if I would like a waist level on a dslr due mostly to the size of the image plus I use the Pentax for action shots where the right to left reversal takes getting use to. No opinion on an articulating screen
05-01-2013, 12:13 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
As some one who uses a waist level on a Hasselblad, ground glass on a view camera as well as film and digital Pentax cameras, it is more to it than the height of the camera. If you kneel and use a waist level you can get it even lower etc. Plus try moving about a scene or a party kneeling to be able to see your viewfinder at that level Plus you are not hidden behind the camera so it is a totally different way of looking at your subject. And you can hold the camera above your head and look up at the viewfinder which you cannot repeat with the kneeling method.

Not sure if I would like a waist level on a dslr due mostly to the size of the image plus I use the Pentax for action shots where the right to left reversal takes getting use to. No opinion on an articulating screen
All very good points. It would be nice to have a waist level viewfinder on a DSLR, but as you and others point out, it may not be too practical, especially from the weather sealed perspective.

I have been using SLR, and now DSLR cameras for a long time, and have adjusted to the lack of a waist level viewfinder. I wonder if a right angle viewfinder attachment might do just as well?

05-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #24
Pentaxian

I have two waist level finders....both on medium format cameras. My Mamiya TLR and my Yashicamat TLR. WL finders are ok....but adjusting level and speed of composition were two disadvantages that I found.

I find eye viewfinders the best....on my Pentax DSLR's anyways. On my Canon G12 the eye viewfinder is horrible....only 77 % coverage...fortunately the Canon has a very good monitor viewfinder that seems to be excellent.
05-01-2013, 01:35 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I own a camera with this feature (Canon G2) and can testify that the design is inherantly fragile, not to mention the additional weight and difficulty for adding water resistence.

Steve
Canon's implementation is fragile. Sony and Olympus have a much stronger idea, and on the Olympus OM-D EM-5 it is weather sealed.

I've thought interchangeable finders were a good idea since I got my LX. I love being able to swap them out and do Waist or eye level. the FB-1 FC-1 combo is an absolute joy to use.

The Sony NEX-5N I have is also excellent with its articulated screen and articulated external EVF. As EVFs get better I'm convinced mirrorless cameras will replace SLRs, as all that mirrorflapping is just not necessary anymore.

What i'd like to see from Pentax is an LX-Compatible finder system on a FF DSLR that adds a new finder: An electronic finder that slips in place of the prism, or a small articulating LCD that fits in the same space. Both would be useful for video and things like Composition Adjustment with the SR motors.

Last edited by unixrevolution; 05-01-2013 at 01:41 PM.
05-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #26
Lens Buying Addict

EVF's aren't God's gift. We're already dealing with LiveView LCD's that manipulate the image shown so that it appears brighter than the RAW file will produce. We know there is from 20/1000th's to 105/1000ths a second latency while the LCD / EVF is electronically painted, so birding and sports/action suffer under LED EVF's (basically anything that moves is No JOY with an EVF). OLED MIGHT be a different story.

At least with a mirror VF what you see is what the sensor sees.
05-01-2013, 10:15 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
EVF's aren't God's gift. We're already dealing with LiveView LCD's that manipulate the image shown so that it appears brighter than the RAW file will produce. We know there is from 20/1000th's to 105/1000ths a second latency while the LCD / EVF is electronically painted, so birding and sports/action suffer under LED EVF's (basically anything that moves is No JOY with an EVF). OLED MIGHT be a different story.

I'd rather follow a moving object on an LCD than with a reversed image of a waist level viewfinder.
05-02-2013, 12:18 AM   #28
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
I'd rather follow a moving object on an LCD than with a reversed image of a waist level viewfinder.
Ditto. Articulating LCD is king! Plus you can do selfies with them
05-02-2013, 08:02 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

The biggest players in EVFs right now are all OLED, especially the extremely bright units from Sony, like the one on my NEX.